Lastchance

Question on excess cable on reserve handle.

While reading the new Parachutist last night there is an article on the proper length of the excess cable on the reserve handle. To short and a hard arch or varied body positions could dislodge the handle. To long is not good either. Nowhere in the article was it mentioned on the proper position for the excess cable which brings me to my question. Last summer while getting a gear check from a considerably more experienced jumper, he loosened the velcro holding my reserve handle in and tucked the excess cable in and pinched the velcro closed to hold it in place. We are talking aprox. 2" of cable. After several jumps and a few months, while getting another gear check from a jumper closer to my numbers, he pulled the excess out and said that it would make for a harder pull on my reserve. What would be the proper configuration? More often than not I see the cable free and not tucked in.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

Next time you go for a reserve repack, tuck in the excess cable and see for yourself if the pull force is excessive.

In my limited experience, pulls are more likely to be hard on the cutaway handle.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

While reading the new Parachutist last night there is an article on the proper length of the excess cable on the reserve handle. To short and a hard arch or varied body positions could dislodge the handle. To long is not good either. Nowhere in the article was it mentioned on the proper position for the excess cable which brings me to my question. Last summer while getting a gear check from a considerably more experienced jumper, he loosened the velcro holding my reserve handle in and tucked the excess cable in and pinched the velcro closed to hold it in place. We are talking aprox. 2" of cable. After several jumps and a few months, while getting another gear check from a jumper closer to my numbers, he pulled the excess out and said that it would make for a harder pull on my reserve. What would be the proper configuration? More often than not I see the cable free and not tucked in.

On the one hand, I do this myself.
As others have explained, if you are unsure talk with your rigger and test the pull force.

I have been TOLD that this can cause a different problem... in the past, others have reported that the excess cable stowed in such a maner can cause the pin to be pulled (by the tension caused by the velcro). While I don't see that happening, I can't say that it never has. I tuck it away because I am more concerned that the cable end is just another snag point.

IF YOU DO TUCK IT AWAY:
periodically unseat it and verify that the end-stop (ball swag, etc) is still there and well seated. (out of sight should not be out of mind) While it is a statistically uncommon thing to find, it has happened that the ball is loose and/or the cable is freyed around the end.

YES, your rigger should find such things at the next repack, but what you don't know TODAY can be a hazard to YOU.

Thanks to Dean S. for his articles in Parachutist.
Talk to your rigger, learn about the gear. The life you save may be your own.

JW
Sr. Rigger
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

> he pulled the excess out and said that it would make for a harder pull on my reserve.

Not really. If you can unseat the handle, then the velcro is unmated anyway. More important issues:

1) If the velcro is on its last legs, putting the ball in there could cause the handle to not be retained as well.

2) If the end of the cable is hidden you'll never inspect it.

But it's not a significant increase in risk IMO (as long as your velcro is in good shape, there's room for the ball and you inspect the ball on occasion.)

This is one problem that I don't have to worry about anymore. My reserve ripcord "cable" is 1,000 lb. Spectra line. The "slack" is automatically taken up by a small piece of bungee cord which is sewn into the center section of this "Spectra Ripcord". The bungee also pulls the handle back up against its housing if it is accidentally knocked out of the pocket. So, no more floating ripcord handles. Did I mention that pull forces are less, because Spectra is so slippery?

This is one problem that I don't have to worry about anymore. My reserve ripcord "cable" is 1,000 lb. Spectra line.

Bill you showed this to me when I was doing a tour of the UPT factory a year ago. At the time it was not available on V3 rigs. Is it now available?
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

How and where do I go about purchasing and fitting a Javelin J4 with the new reserve "cable"? One more question. How do you feed a slack line through the housing? It almost seems it would be like pushing string. Or is it stiffer than it appears in the video? Thanks.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

I have been TOLD that this can cause a different problem... in the past, others have reported that the excess cable stowed in such a maner can cause the pin to be pulled (by the tension caused by the velcro). While I don't see that happening, I can't say that it never has. I tuck it away because I am more concerned that the cable end is just another snag point.

Seen it happen. Jumper did a front loop and launched their reserve PC. I would highly recommend NOT tucking the excess cable into the velcro.

Derek