jenomegle

Pro-tec Helmet (that's not specifically made for skydiving) Question

Hey jumpers!

I have a pro-tec helmet that I use for skateboarding, and I was wondering if I could also use this for skydiving?

http://www.xsportsprotective.com/protec-classic-skate.html

I'm pretty new to the sport, so I'd love to hear all your expert opinions!

- Jen xx

Hey jumpers!

I have a pro-tec helmet that I use for skateboarding, and I was wondering if I could also use this for skydiving?

http://www.xsportsprotective.com/protec-classic-skate.html

I'm pretty new to the sport, so I'd love to hear all your expert opinions!

- Jen xx

You can use it, but it will be really loud due to lack of ear coverage. It will also be really cold. So in short you will be much happier with a 3/4 face helmet.

For now, it's fine. My DZ uses a similar protect for our students (ours have ear protection though). If you're still a student on radio, don't use earplugs yet. (Also if you're still a student ask your instructor before jumping any kind of gear.) But if you're not a student on radio, you might want to invest in a good pair just to protect your hearing. But eventually, you will need a new helmet if you want to use audibles. But you can save money now & just use that one. It'll protect your head just as well if not better than true skydiving helmets.

A pro-tec helmet will give better protection than any skydiving specific product I have ever seen. I have used audible altimeters in pro-tecs many times. If yours has ear protection the altimeter will fit nicely with no modifications.
I know Riggerrob was glad he had one on a couple of years ago in the Pitt Meadows crash.

That's all certainly true, but the OP's helmet specifically doesn't have ear protection. So not really that helpful to him, although it's nice to know.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I have one of those. I usually only wear it for high openings when I want to enjoy the scenery but still wear head protection.

ETA: Heh.... remembered right after I posted that I'm wearing mine in my profile pic. I also use it a Bridge Day.
Owned by Remi #?

I have a couple pro-tec helmets, both 3/4 type.
An Alpha (mil) and a classic, which I normally use every jump.
I sewed up a "mount' for my SoloII.

luckily I've had it on when I've needed it

that said, a Cookie G2 is on my list for the upcoming rw season
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

I put a ¾ inch strap on my goggles with an added horizontal and vertical elastic loop over my ear. My ditter fits securely in the loops and is easy to hear without a helmet on. It would probably work well with a short helmet that does not cover the ears. Also, I have always found Protec helmets to afford satisfactory protection when skydiving.

It's a skateboarding helmet. It's designed for people who smack their heads on concrete. I have had a pro-tec halfshell for 9 years now and I love it, although the padding is beginning to wear. It will afford you far more protection then most jumping helmets, and it's the only helmet I wear on dedicated HP jumps.

It will be loud in freefall however.

A pro-tec helmet will give better protection than any skydiving specific product I have ever seen. I have used audible altimeters in pro-tecs many times. If yours has ear protection the altimeter will fit nicely with no modifications.
I know Riggerrob was glad he had one on a couple of years ago in the Pitt Meadows crash.

Agreed!
I survived with a mild concussion. All my other injuries were outside the Pro-Tec: torn eye brow, broken nose, dis-located shoulder, herniated spinal disc and massive bruising.
That faithful Pro-Tec was replaced with a HR2/HS2/you know the open-faced, hard-shell thingy sold by what's his name up in ... that has better penetration protection, but not as much energy-absorbing foam.

I think the ideal skydiving helmet would be the Bell motorcycle helmet I wore in 1979.
Problem is, you have to replace them every few years, because the foam wears out.

Open-ear helmets may be great for pond-swooping, but if you have ever been whacked "up side the head" by a tandem 3D ring, you will understand why I prefer closed-ear helmets.