danornan

Looking for the LOUDEST audible Altimeter?

I am looking for the LOUDEST audible Altimeter that is available.

I have an L & M Solo 2 audible altimeter and for the most part I am pleased with not only how easy it is to use, but the really great customer service I have received in the past on the companies products.

It just seems that the Solo 2 is only loud when the batteries are very fresh. As they age, over a period of several month, the audio drops. Anyone else with this problem? Any solution other than to replace the batteries more often?

Any recommendations for the LOUDEST audible altimeter? I generally use earplugs and that has not seemed to be a problem.
Dano

The optima II is the loudest out there, I believe. The NEOXs was loudest until the Optima, which has a volume so loud that if you're setting it on the plane, people on the opposite end will bitch about how loud it is.
Plus, you can plug it into a HypEye for a visual backup.
The Solo II doesn't have adjustable volume or tones. It's not just the volume, it's also about having a variable frequency because there are more and less annoying tones. Choose the most annoying and it'll wake you up.

I am looking for the LOUDEST audible Altimeter that is available.

I have an L & M Solo 2 audible altimeter .

L&M does that stand for Larsen & Mooseguard ? :D

Do you need it louder because the frequency doesn't do it for you ? or the volume ?
As others mentionned, did you consider the visual LED warning ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Sorry :-( and thanks for the correction, It should have been L & B for Larsen & Brusgaard. I have considered a visual, but an audible would be less cumbersome.

What I have seems to work well except as the batter gets weaker, the volume drops. My hearing is not the best and I wear a Z-1 helmet, so a visual might be in my future.

Thanks all for the input.
Dano

If your hearing is that bad you could consider audible with earphones... since you can't hear what's going on around you anyway at least you'll be able to hear audible loud and clear.

Or you could go oldschool and wire a really loud piezzo buzzer to you audible and install that in your helmet.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

I have a question that pertains to audibles, but do not see a need for another thread.

At what experience level should I get an audible?

I haven't gotten one yet because i wanted to build altitude awareness and not become dependent on an audible.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

At what experience level should I get an audible?

I haven't gotten one yet because i wanted to build altitude awareness and not become dependent on an audible.

Some are very firm on their advice to wait quite a while before getting one, as you said to ensure you build altitude awareness.

I think that is valid, but an audible can still be very valuable even if the only alarm you set is the last-final screaming/constant tone. Even if you're trying to build altitude awareness by not using it to designate all 3 possible altitude warnings, if you've gone through your hard deck at high speed (in freefall or under a sniveling canopy), you are less likely to die if an audible screams to remind you.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Have you tried changing the pitch? If you have hearing issues they are usually focused on certain frequencies. Changing the pitch might focus the sound on a healthier part of your cochlea.

/Martin

Bingo. Age-related hearing loss tends to hit the higher frequencies. Conversely, other frequencies seem too loud. Find one of those frequencies. The Optima2 has two volumes: 115db, & 120db. They're certainly loud enough. If your unit is eating batteries. L&B's customer support is legendary. I'm sure they'll take care of you.