JerseyShawn

PD price increase......

Do they want to kill Sport Skydiving or what? Maybe they think skydiving equipment is not expensive enough. Where are the canopies made ?
Just asking.... >:(>:(

PD has a production facility in Deland, FL.

IIRC not all PD canopies are made there though. The riggers I was working under told me that they use different thread colors for the canopies coming from (Honduras, I believe). But that's just hear say.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Do they want to kill Sport Skydiving or what? Maybe they think skydiving equipment is not expensive enough. Where are the canopies made ?

It's typical business..

PD stuff is overhyped and overadvertised through stuff like PDFT, so people will continue on buying their stuff regardless of the price increase anyway and PD gets to make even more money..
"All limits are self imposed." Icarus

It's typical business..

PD stuff is overhyped and overadvertised through stuff like PDFT, so people will continue on buying their stuff regardless of the price increase anyway and PD gets to make even more money..

It's business, but not typical. I've owned several Sabres, several Stilettos and several Velocites, and have been more than pleased with the performance and build quality of them all. I've owned a couple of PDRs as well, but haven't jumped them so I can't say anything about them.

If you want a bulletproof canopy that will perform right every time, all the time, and is backed by the best in the business, then buy a PD. It those things aren't important to you, buy something else.

Do you have to pay for those things? You sure as hell do, but it's worth it. There's no bullshit about the product, the performance or the service, and in this industry, you pay extra for that stuff because you don't always get it otherwise.

I say this based on 16 years of buying and jumping their products, and for them to maintain the track record they have, for that long, with me and 20 other skydivers I know and respect, says something.

Go ahead and buy the cheaper alternative. Don't be surprised when it eventually gets banned turns into a worthless piece of junk.

Canopies are made from fabric. The price for this fabric is more than probably going up, because of the rise in petroleumprices.
So other canopy factories will folow.

Any word on if demo prices are going up as well?

I emailed PD about demos (I want to demo the Saber in a few months) and their quick response was that they're not going to increase their domo prices right now. They said they will hold off as long as they can. Sounds pretty stand up to me.

All company mark up their shit 50 to 100 dollar every year.
Get used to it.
On a good note, it brings up the value of your current used gear as well.
I bought my bonehead helmet for 75 bucks, after 5 years of use i can sell it back for 150.
Yay inflation.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

lead time is like 16 weeks

with that kind of demand, it seems like a price increase or a capacity increase is in order

either way, that'll drive prices up

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

All company mark up their shit 50 to 100 dollar every year.
Get used to it.
On a good note, it brings up the value of your current used gear as well.
I bought my bonehead helmet for 75 bucks, after 5 years of use i can sell it back for 150.
Yay inflation.

Inflation is the wrong word.

Skydiving gear Depreciates, it only appreciates if it is a museum piece and several museums are asking for it and you have the ONE good item left.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I emailed PD about demos (I want to demo the Sabre in a few months) and their quick response was that they're not going to increase their domo prices right now. They said they will hold off as long as they can. Sounds pretty stand up to me.

there, fixed it for you! :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I emailed PD about demos (I want to demo the Sabre2 in a few months) and their quick response was that they're not going to increase their domo prices right now. They said they will hold off as long as they can. Sounds pretty stand up to me.

There, fixed it for YOU! :P

I emailed PD about demos (I want to demo the Sabre2 in a few months) and their quick response was that they're not going to increase their domo prices right now. They said they will hold off as long as they can. Sounds pretty stand up to me.

There, fixed if for YOU! :P

i've only ever jumped a Sabre, so i wouldnt know about that youngin's stuff.. :D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Canopies are made from fabric. The price for this fabric is more than probably going up, because of the rise in petroleum prices.
So other canopy factories will follow.

YUp!
The same way that increases in food prices have poor people rioting all over arabia.
When the cost of diesel fuel goes up, it goes more expensive to plow the fields. When the cost of (petroleum-based) fertilizer goes up, it gets more expensive to fertilize crops. When the cost of gasoline goes up, it gets more expensive to drive the food to market.
Get used to rising prices folks, because we are past "peak oil."

It's typical business..

It's business, but not typical. I've owned several Sabres, several Stilettos and several Velocites, and have been more than pleased with the performance and build quality of them all. I've owned a couple of PDRs as well, but haven't jumped them so I can't say anything about them.

If you want a bulletproof canopy that will perform right every time, all the time, and is backed by the best in the business, then buy a PD. It those things aren't important to you, buy something else.

Do you have to pay for those things? You sure as hell do, but it's worth it. There's no bullshit about the product, the performance or the service, and in this industry, you pay extra for that stuff because you don't always get it otherwise.

I say this based on 16 years of buying and jumping their products, and for them to maintain the track record they have, for that long, with me and 20 other skydivers I know and respect, says something.

Go ahead and buy the cheaper alternative. Don't be surprised when it eventually gets banned turns into a worthless piece of junk.

Sound like you are claiming that ONLY PD makes reliable gear or provides good service.

My take is that you are 100% right about PD's quality and service, but so are
several of their direct competitors.
__

My mighty steed

And why wholesale prices only have increased and not retail??This is less and less margin on P-D products for dealers since 3 years now..
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

And why wholesale prices only have increased and not retail??This is less and less margin on P-D products for dealers since 3 years now..

Are retail prices dictated by PD? Different dealers sell them for different prices, so it seems not.

If wholesale prices are up, but not retail, then it might just be the market forces of supply and demand, along with competition from other mfgs.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Then why is a 97 sq. foot sabre2 the same price as a 260 sq.foot Sabre2?

You're right, less fabric SHOULD be less expensive especially given the vast size difference. Sabre2 97 vs Sabre2 260 is 163sq ft difference which is an entirely new canopy worth of material!

But then again I suppose that would be too much of another incentive to downsize rapidly?
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

You are right, but decreasing the dealer margin up to at least 15% in 3 years is not a real solution too for them. P-D's products are great and they use this status to do so, but till when..
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

I would guess fabric price is an extremely small part of the cost of a finished canopy and would be dwarfed by other expenses possibly including:

Research and design
Marketing (all those sponsored skydivers and adds)
Labor
facility and equipment costs

Not sure what else would go on that list.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Prices for anything in a free market economy are set to whatever the market will stand. PD makes excellent quality product but they do not have a monopoly. If they raised their prices beyond what their customers are willing to pay, they would lose business to Aerodyne or Icarus or whoever.

Bear in mind that a significant part of PD's margin is spent on R&D and ensuring that when you do buy one of their products it is a world class one. Many people are of the opinion that PD does R&D and customer service better than most, and that costs money.

PD have a duty to their employees to make money and stay in business as well as to produce high quality canopies. If their prices upset you - go buy something else. It's that simple.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA