e.a.hernandez

Supertacking Riser

Hi,

Aerodyne's Smart reserve manual specifies a way to supertack the reserve riser after installing the slinks. My question is: is this a requirement? Would it stop the reserve from operating correctly? i.e. lines disconnecting from the risers if not supertacked?

Blue Ones,

Erick

Without looking at the manual, its probably just tacking the SLINK tab to stay inside the riser. Shouldn't randomly disconnect any lines, but it never hurts to err on the side of caution.

There have been a few cases that I've seen/heard of where a loose SLINK tab has gotten caught in other lines (from a different riser) and such. The one video I've seen the guy cleared the problem after screwing with it for a few seconds. Not exactly something you want to worry about on your last chance, when you're already low, and flying a canopy you've never flown for the first time, possibly near sunset, and into an unknown landing area.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The lines will never disconnect provided that soft links were correctly installed. This hand tacking was not on the older edition of the manual so they must have included for a good reason. As long as it is in the manual and no alternative procedure is given you must be in compliance with.
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

The PD slinks have tabs but the Aerodyne have metal rings. I have seen people with these Aerodyne slinks without any form of tacking (on the main canopy...not sure if their riggers tacked the reserve). I would think since people are most familiar with PD slinks (which are not required to be tacked, per the manual, but lots of people do anyway) when they see the Aerodyne slinks they assume it does not require any form of tacking neither. Even on some mains where I have seen tacking of Aerodyne's slinks, it was not done per the manual. But then again, if it is not that important how it is tacked (if tacked at all) then it should be ok. I am no rigger, I just like to read all manuals and am very curious about gear.

Hi hernandez,

The PD slinks have tabs but the Aerodyne have metal rings.

Your first mistake was in referring to them as 'slinks' in your first post. It now seems, to me, that you are referring to Aerodyne's soft links.

That's not a terrible mistake but it does confuse someone wanting to assist you.

I do agree that the Aerodyne instructions could be a little more specific. As I read their instructions, the tacking is to go through the two legs of the riser AND to go through the metal ring but not around the metal ring, just go right through the very center of the ring. This keeps it in place yet allowing it to move around just a little.

I once communicated with someone at Aerodyne on this vagueness and that is what came from the communication.

Does this help?

JerryBaumchen

If Aerodyne says that you are supposed to hand-tack their reserve soft links, then it is mandatory.

It is considered "best business practice" to hand-tack all types of soft links, on all types of canopies.

First, it prevents - the rare chance" that the lark's head knot closing the link will let go.

Secondly, it prevents the lump (metal ring, lump of tape, knot, etc.) from sticking out the side of the riser, where it can be abraded by rough slider grommets. We have already learned that lesson - the hard -way- by suffering two nasty accidents (Koji). There is not point to "re-inventing the wheel" with a third accident.

The bottom line is: hand-tacking all types of soft links - from all manufacturers - is considered "best business practice" and if your rigger is too lazy, tell him to try again.