Lennie

Karnage Krew

Guys and Girls,

Thanks for all the emails so far, I am compiling them and so far I think there are 3 confirmed people who lost all their money and a hand ful of people like myself who got most of what they ordered.

I am a little dissappointed though that when I looked him up on DZ.com and called all his distributors they had nothing but good things to say about him.

I do not know the current status of his business but will be looking into this in the coming weeks as I compile the information from people. Please do not hesitate to send me an email directly if you also have been wronged.

MOST IMPORTANTLY- Its vital that people go through the process of having the hearing with cttt. like I posted before so that it is a binding debt through AUS law.

This will ultimately help in his prosecution and maybe put a little fire under the police to locate him at the same time...

Im not claiming I know much about law in AUS but Im sure I am going to learn quite a bit in the near future. :)
Do you know GARY LUCAS? He represents, or used to be Karnage Krew aka KKrew Skydiving Pty Ltd. I am looking for him, please contact me if you know his whereabouts.

I post on DZ.com very rarely but wanted to jump in on this thread. I originally started KarnageKrew with Gary in 2006. In those days we didn’t have a registered company, we were just 2 guys trying to help people out in our spare time. We set out not to do this for huge financial gain but with a passion to help people in the sport. Our key values were to provide fantastic customer service and to operate ethically throughout. And we did.

In this time, both customers and the dealers we worked with will testify that we went above and beyond the cause with this – our customers were delighted, and as were the dealers that we were working with. Around 2008 however, I was finding that other commitments were becoming too much and I no longer had the time to commit to KK, but Gary pursued his dream and worked tirelessly – often 20 hours a day; so he was able to deal with all customer queries/ orders/ liaising with dealers etc. I’d never met anyone who had that level of commitment if I’m perfectly honest and I used to wonder how on earth he managed to do it.

In 2009, things were going well enough for him to turn it into a real business and, I believe with the help of a small private investor he setup Kkrew PTY LTD registered in NSW. He asked me on occasion to come back in, but having neither the time nor money available, I was unable to accept.

It appears things have taken a fairly desperate turn in recent months from reading these threads, and I am both saddened and disappointed – for those of you who appear to have lost money, and partly for something I put passion and energy into initially to end up in this way.

I appreciate that my words will provide little comfort or resolution to those of you who have suffered as a result of this, and, having not heard from Gary in months, I am unable to speculate on what has occurred or indeed any reasons for this and, I write not by way of defence, but I felt it was important to contribute.

The way Karnage Krew was structured and the fact that is is now effectively defunct DIRECTLY and UNAVOIDABLY affects whether or not Gary Lucas owes anybody any money. You can make silly assertions all day long online about it, but Gary is not Karnage Krew, they are different legal entities, but it does depend on how he set up the company.

If it can be shown that the business engaged in fraud, the directors can be held personally responsible, Pty Ltd notwithstanding.

Not to mention trading whilst insolvent which carries considerable fines and jail time in australia.

>You can make silly assertions all day long online about it, but Gary is not Karnage Krew

Well, phew! We can certainly stop dissing ASC and Cary Q over Skyride, then.

The distinction matters in the context of the discussion, which as usual you have redacted to respond to a point I did not make.

The way Karnage Krew was structured and the fact that is is now effectively defunct DIRECTLY and UNAVOIDABLY affects whether or not Gary Lucas owes anybody any money. You can make silly assertions all day long online about it, but Gary is not Karnage Krew, they are different legal entities, but it does depend on how he set up the company.

If it can be shown that the business engaged in fraud, the directors can be held personally responsible, Pty Ltd notwithstanding.

IF I had wings I wouldn't need to buy jump tickets.

The distinction matters in the context of the discussion, which as usual you have redacted to respond to a point I did not make.

No it doesn't. This isn't a court of law, and in terms of who took the money these jumpers are out, KK is (or was) a one-man operation, so the person responsible for the theft is Gary. If KK was an established corp with doznes of employees, then yes, it becomes less clear who is responsible for what, and there is a distinct possibility that the owner of the corp was not the guilty party. However, in this case, the owner who is also the sole-employee is most certainly to blame, he's the one who took the money and did not deliver the goods, and he is the one who recieved the benefit of the ill-gotten funds.

I don't know what it is about this situation that leads to improperly applied business or legal princiapls, but between gary spouting off about cash flow in his made-to-order gear dealership, or you claiming his innosence based on the pricipal that he could 'hide' behidn his corportate name, but lets all 'keep it real'.

A dude named Gary took a whole pile of money from a bunch of people, and never ordered or delivered their gear. There's no way to explain that situation away, that's what happened, and it's a crime.

No it doesn't. This isn't a court of law, and in terms of who took the money these jumpers are out, KK is (or was) a one-man operation, so the person responsible for the theft is Gary. If KK was an established corp with doznes of employees, then yes, it becomes less clear who is responsible for what, and there is a distinct possibility that the owner of the corp was not the guilty party. However, in this case, the owner who is also the sole-employee is most certainly to blame, he's the one who took the money and did not deliver the goods, and he is the one who recieved the benefit of the ill-gotten funds.

I don't know what it is about this situation that leads to improperly applied business or legal princiapls, but between gary spouting off about cash flow in his made-to-order gear dealership, or you claiming his innosence based on the pricipal that he could 'hide' behidn his corportate name, but lets all 'keep it real'.

A dude named Gary took a whole pile of money from a bunch of people, and never ordered or delivered their gear. There's no way to explain that situation away, that's what happened, and it's a crime.

It does, again you can repeat that it doesn't until you're blue in the face but you haven't established it was theft. KK has traded in one form or another since 2006 and only turned south in late 2010.

I'm not declaring his innocence, but I find the version of events where he wound up with a struggling business with cash-flow problems far more plausible than a claim that in the last few months Gary went from running a growing business for 4 years to running a criminal enterprise.

Businesses that go under are always going to have their disgruntled creditors but it's not all out and out fraud. One of the most active critics on here actually got his rig AND a demo rig loaned while he waited on it.

The key issue would seem to be when this started happening and how soon Gary should have called it a day. The argument that because he did not take the cash deposited for an order and immediately place that order with his supplier makes it intentionally criminal is IMHO bogus. It's not how businesses are obliged to operate, but it does seem likely that Gary played fast and loose with the status of orders at his cash-flow problems worsened.

[reply

The key issue would seem to be when this started happening and how soon Gary should have called it a day. The argument that because he did not take the cash deposited for an order and immediately place that order with his supplier makes it intentionally criminal is IMHO bogus. It's not how businesses are obliged to operate, but it does seem likely that Gary played fast and loose with the status of orders at his cash-flow problems worsened.

Another poster in this thread has stated that in Australia, trading while insolvent is a considered a crime punishable by fines and imprisonment.
If that's a fact, and Gary is found to be guilty of this, then Gary has in fact committed a crime as its defined in Australian law regardless of whether or not it was done with the specific intent to defraud customers for his own benefit.
__

My mighty steed

I'm not declaring his innocence, but I find the version of events where he wound up with a struggling business with cash-flow problems far more plausible than a claim that in the last few months Gary went from running a growing business for 4 years to running a criminal enterprise

In a previous post, I explained why 'cash flow' doesn't apply to the custom ordered gear business, where you're making a limited number of transactions with a very low % of profit. Here's that verbatim -

When you're selling $8000 custom built rigs for people, and you're clearing 10% (at best) on the sale, you can't float 90%+ of the sale and use that money for other things. You need to sell 10 more rigs with every penny of that profit going to repay the 90% float on the first rig. So to successfully get $8000 to play with, you need to sell 11 rigs and collect no profit, just a temporary loan of $8000 to use for expenses. it just doesn't work that way.

On to this -

The key issue would seem to be when this started happening and how soon Gary should have called it a day

In the post I quoted above, I commented on that very sbuject, and here that is -

I've said it before, the guy gets ONE chance at this. Once you take one order and collect payment and then don't send the order in, you know what you did and that you have to stop right then and there. Even then that's a crime if he doesn't repay every cent, and even if he does, it was still the wrong thing to do. Gary kept taking orders, collecting payment, and not forwarding the orders or the money to the manufacturers, over and over again, to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars. There is no excuse for that.

I'll wrap this up by taking a shot at this -

Businesses that go under are always going to have their disgruntled creditors

We're not talking about creditors. These aren't people who sent Gary money based on the idea of a continuing business relationship or repayment to include interest, both of which would be considered 'business', and as such, contains a level of implied risk.

The people here were customers, who placed an order for products and paid for them, as is their responsibility in the transaction. The only way they would be taking a 'risk' is if Gary failed in his duty. The products they ordered were from long-standing, reputable companies that they could count on to deliver the product as-ordered, or make reasonable adjustment if they didn't. In the end, the one risk they too, Gary, turned out to be one too many.

Gary blew it, he took those peoples money, lied to them for months on end, and never even ordered the merchandise. ONE time is a mistake, and I could see not calling it a crime if he begged for foregiveness, and immediately began repayment to that single customer. The instant he accepted one more order which he did not remit to the manufacturer, it's a crime and his one freebie (the first order) becomes a crime as well.

Hey Justin! It's good of you to pursue this for the friends who may or may not have the time to do so themselves, or the access to the Australian rules and regs.
One little wrinkle I would suggest that you might keep track of, in addition to money exchanged, is to WHOM the money was remitted. If this had happened in the State of Illinois, and I had remitted to a GIRLFRIENDS bank account, it would not be Gary, but the girlfriend who owed me the money.
Potentially, I could have a judgement placed against her for the balance, interest and court costs, and have it deducted from her paycheck (if she had one)
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Another poster in this thread has stated that in Australia, trading while insolvent is a considered a crime punishable by fines and imprisonment.
If that's a fact, and Gary is found to be guilty of this, then Gary has in fact committed a crime as its defined in Australian law regardless of whether or not it was done with the specific intent to defraud customers for his own benefit.

I noticed that, there are multiple definitions of insolvency, e.g. cash-flow insolvency vs. ballance sheet insolvency. There is also not always a neat delineation of when a business realizes it is insolvent.

There is another big if in your statement that effectively says that "if Gary is convicted of a crime then he's a criminal". Who would disagree with such a statement? Intent however may play a role in determining guilt; mens rea.

Anyone running a business on the decline at some point has to come to the realization that it's not going to work out, that's got to be a tough pill to swallow. Picture someone torn between disappointing his current customers (and losing his business, his job and his reputation) or trying to make it work by getting more customers and using those funds to fulfill older orders in the hopes that improved margins help him recover. I've seen people label this a Ponzi scheme, but that is simply inaccurate, it does not rely on unattainable inexorable growth, it's nothing like a Ponzi scheme, but it will end just as quickly if the business reputation is lost and the bubble bursts.

Australian law focuses heavily on cash flow insolvency. As gary ran a business with little to no liquid capital he had no room for error here (like dave has mentioned several times). When you go and admit you owe a manufacturer an amount that would take dozens of orders to cover (using profit alone) you should not be continuing to take customers money.

In Australia misleading customers as to your financial situation is illegal. He should have been forced into administration long ago.

In Australia misleading customers as to your financial situation is illegal. He should have been forced into administration long ago.

Agreed, I've been following this thing for a bit now. More of less he fell behind a payment, then started running a ponzi scheme to keep enough cash flow to stay 1 order behind. I'll be he didn't realize the shit he dug himself into before he had carried it on too long....[:/]
=========Shaun ==========

I'm kicking myself for actually depositing £3.5k ish into a Royal Bank of Scotland account belonging to the girlfriend of a bloke in Australia. Sounds fucking dumb now doesn't it?

Yup, can't believe I was so stupid - luckily I got the rig I ordered, but seriously, can't believe I put the cash in his girlfriends account.

Gary's prices were much lower that quoted elsewhere - obviously the quotes from UK dealers included VAT, enough margin to cover paying for their shop, staff overheads, UK tax, import duty on the rig etc etc. Gary's prices did not.

The number one reason why people (myself included) were so happy to buy from Gary despite any misgivings and unease about the set up was that you could have your rig delivered to Peris or whatever and then paying the UK VAT and import duty was your responsibility. Hindsight is a wonderful thing eh?
Leeds University Skydiving Club
www.skydiveleeds.co.uk

Sorry, but you can not say that the Price is low because it does not include VAT - VAT (and or Import Duty) is your responsibility and not paying it on a new purchase is fraud - If you are VAT registered you 'may' be able to claim it back - but it's NOT OPTIONAL in the U.K

Sounds like Gary may have been playing by his own rule book BUT it also sounds like a number of his clients are too.

WARNING : Those on here in the U.K ought to be VERY careful what they have written here in that respect

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Easy, there.

I, for one, paid duty on the orders I placed through Gary, and other people I know did too. Some of us dealt with him, despite it being a pain in the arse, because he supported university clubs and community boogies and generally tried to do good in the world.

The implication that somehow people who dealt with him were trying to get something for nothing or were just blinded by his cheapness, and thus in some way deserved to lose their money isn't very helpful.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

No need for me to go "easy there" and I never implied that all customers did.. I was was warning those folks that did.. please read 3 posts up.

If one did nowt wrong then one has nowt to worry about but, if on the other hand one did knowingly evade HMRC their dues - then one ought be careful what is written to a public forum.

(.)Y(.)

it's a crime.

More so when Gary has no intention whatsoever to contact all the customers who lost their money and start making plans, a way out to refund the customers and overall communicating with them..

Instead, he goes into hiding and nobody knows where he is, what's he doing or is he ever going to return what he took..

B|
"All limits are self imposed." Icarus

No need for me to go "easy there" and I never implied that all customers did.. I was was warning those folks that did.. please read 3 posts up.

If one did nowt wrong then one has nowt to worry about but, if on the other hand one did knowingly evade HMRC their dues - then one ought be careful what is written to a public forum.

Relax.

I'm saying it was left as the customers responsibility to pay the UK VAT and Import duty, which when not quoted in the headline price makes it all seem very cheap. And cheap as chips is THE number one reason why people bought from Gary rather from a UK dealer where thats all wrapped up in the quoted price.

When I had to pay up the VAT & Import durty I remember thinking I perhaps hadn't got such a good deal as I initially thought.

Like in the US sales tax isn't quoted in the prices on the shelves which always catches me out, get to the till and you're already committed and pay it, but you might not have made the purchase had you included the tax in your initial assessment of if the item was a 'good deal'.
www.skydiveleeds.co.uk

Sorry, but you can not say that the Price is low because it does not include VAT -

Oh, and yes I can. One shop quotes a price for, say, a £100 alti wihich includes VAT and gives a price of £120. Another shop has a brochure price of £100 excl VAT. Factually correct to say that that quoted price is lower becasue it doesn't include VAT.
www.skydiveleeds.co.uk

I noticed that, there are multiple definitions of insolvency, e.g. cash-flow insolvency vs. ballance sheet insolvency. There is also not always a neat delineation of when a business realizes it is insolvent..

In this particular case, Gary told me in no uncertain terms that he was having problems with his business and had ceased to take new customer orders until
he was squared away again.

This is a pretty strong indicator that he was well aware that he was insolvent
at that point.

This message was in March of 2010.

According to at least one person that lost at least 7k and has nothing to show for it, he paid Gary for gear in June of 2010.

You dont even need to be able to do math to conclude that he continued to take customer monies well after he knew he was in real trouble.

Who knows if the law will make a determination that he traded while insolvent,
very often the law doesnt align cleanly with reality due to what can actually be proven in court, but the fact remains that he did continue to do business and take money from customers well beyond the point where he knew he should have stopped.

I'm not interested in seeing him crucified. I did eventually get my whole order
so out of all his unhappy customers I have very little to bitch about.
I had a very stressful 6 months but in the end I got my gear.
I also believe that his initial intentions were good and that it was not his
reasoned plan to defraud customers for personal gain AND that it was he fully
intended at one point to try and work things out and fill all the orders that he had taken.

Unfortunately now it appears that he has cut and run and abandoned his remaining customers. That may or may not be the case, but the fact that he seems to have completely dropped out of sight and cant be contacted lends credibility to that theory.
__

My mighty steed

Sorry I seem to have made an inference gaff (not my 1st and sure as hell won't be my last :$)- But hey I'm relaxed - I just know that the nice folks at HMRC 'love' nothing better than chasing down miscreants.

People can take the advice for what it is.. not going to affect my sleep patterns ZZZZZzzzzzzzzz

(.)Y(.)

Sorry, but you can not say that the Price is low because it does not include VAT - VAT (and or Import Duty) is your responsibility and not paying it on a new purchase is fraud - If you are VAT registered you 'may' be able to claim it back - but it's NOT OPTIONAL in the U.K

Sounds like Gary may have been playing by his own rule book BUT it also sounds like a number of his clients are too.

WARNING : Those on here in the U.K ought to be VERY careful what they have written here in that respect

Delivery to Perris is great when you are going there to jump / a friend is, as it's saves a small fortune on international postage fees. :)