sundevil777

These earplugs are different

(edited)
7 hours ago, Cocowheats said:

Menards also carries them.

Something to note though, the filters wear out and as they wear out, you lose hearing protection. A new set vs a set I've used daily for a couple months are a night and day difference in hearing protection levels. Don't be afraid to replace these...

They also make a a version that is just a sealed earplug(model EP5).

I prefer the EP2 model due to the shorter insertion. They are perfect with my cookie g4.

I will have to experiment with a new pair vs old. A quick search did not find any reference to the filters becoming less effective with use, is this something just from your experience?   Thanks for the Menard's tip,

Edited by sundevil777

(edited)
5 hours ago, sundevil777 said:

I will have to experiment with a new pair vs old. A quick search did not find any reference to the filters becoming less effective with use, is this something just from your experience?   Thanks for the Menard's tip,

Personal experience.

I work in the firearm industry and wear the surefires religiously under my electronic muffs. Have been using them for years. They absolutely get louder over time, to the point where they seem to be blocking nothing. A gunshot with a fresh set vs a worn out set is noteably noticeable. You can hear the difference between the two instantly.

Shooting outside, with a brand new set, I can shoot a 9mm handgun with the flanges open and not ring my ears(it's still louder than I like, but not painful). With a worn out set, the same situation is borderline painfully loud for me.

Perhaps the types of impact noises I subject them to wears them out faster. I do use mine much much more than the average person does.

Surefire estimates the life expectancy at 3-6months but does not mention why aside from the silcon getting hard(have yet to experience this and I have been through over a dozen sets that have been well abused). I think the average shooter would indeed get 3-6months.

Side note, they're great for driving with windows down/top down or under a motorcycle helmet at highway speeds. They really help drown out the wind noise.

*I use EP2s and I never close the flange. All references are with flanges wide open.

Edited by Cocowheats