sundevil777

These earplugs are different

http://www.surefire.com/EP3-Sonic-Defenders

ParaGear and many other retailers also sell them, but paraGear only has them in med and large size (surprisingly, small was best for me). The size refers to the height of the ear conch/depression that the outer ring fits.

http://www.paragear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=479&level=2&parent=203

There are many types of similar products (filter out above 85db or so damaging noise) but this one is unique in that it is very low profile. It does not stick out hardly at all, so you can actually wear a helmet with an audible pressing against your ear. Perhaps there are other similar products, but I haven't encountered any that are such a low profile. You can also put in the little 'plug' insert into the hole to override the filter and make them even quieter if desired.

For many years I've worn squishy foam earplugs. I can concentrate so much better without such a deafening noise, but I also want to be able to hear others under canopy, etc. So, these seem like a great alternative. I haven't tried them in action, but they feel very comfortable with a helmet. I can also put them in while gearing up, and still be able to hear people during final dirt dives, without the need to hassle with earplugs on the way to or inside the plane.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am
  • Like 1

If you want to avoid paying the shipping and handling, your local gun stores probably carry these also. Paid $10 for them myself.

Thanks, that is a good price.

These earplugs have been discussed before, but not given the attention I think they deserve, being so uniquely low profile.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

After quite a bit of research, I ordered a pair myself. The gun forums along with the car/motorcycle racing forums tend to swear by them, and these are the guys wearing them pretty much all day.

I think my hearing is worth the 12 bucks, and I'm at least going to give it a shot. Being able to hear under canopy is a big concern for me, so that will be the real test.

I've been using the Surefire ear plugs at work for about 2 years now, they are the best ear plugs around. The EP3's have a little plastic plug in them too, remove the plug and you can hear normal conversations without people having to yell. Also it helps if you are having pressurization issues with your ears.

I've been using these for several years now. I use them primarily when I am in the wind tunnel, usually for 4-5 hours at a time. They work great and don't leave you with an ear that feels raw/sore afterwards. best $10 bucks you can spend for ear pro IMO.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING
  • Like 1

I've been using these for several years now. I use them primarily when I am in the wind tunnel, usually for 4-5 hours at a time. They work great and don't leave you with an ear that feels raw/sore afterwards. best $10 bucks you can spend for ear pro IMO.

Been using these for about a year now and love em.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

Pretty low NRR 24 rating...

If you look at the details with stoppers out it is a 10db reduction I think, but it's still noticeable reduction in the plane while still allowing me to hear my passenger, and it pretty much eliminates the wind noise associated with freefall, in fact I made a jump without them after using them for a long time and freefall was stunningly loud from what I had remembered.

I highly recommend them to anyone that likes their hearing.

I wouldn't like to stop hearing my audible

I've always thought that I hear my audible better when wearing earplugs, no matter what type. That has been noted by many others in the various threads about earplugs.

Deimian

Resurrecting an old thread.... Any comments regarding the behavior of these earplugs when wearing audibles? Making the airplane and freefall quieter is a good thing for sure, but I wouldn't like to stop hearing my audible.

No problems hearing my audible (N3) with them in.

sundevil777

I wouldn't like to stop hearing my audible

I've always thought that I hear my audible better when wearing earplugs, no matter what type. That has been noted by many others in the various threads about earplugs.

Same here. You can hear the audible BETTER with earplugs, at least with Moldex Meteors ones.

mereanarchy

resurrecting an old thread, are you guys still jumping these? do you jump the EP3 (filtered) or the EP5 (solid?)

The EP3 are my choice. They reduce the sound enough IMO, and I can have them in while gearing up and still hear for the final dirt dives. I'm pretty sure that I can hear better in the plane with them in place. Taking one out for a second while climbing is all that is needed to confirm how effective they are.

I used EP4s last year, but have since switched to Moldex Sparkplugs. The noise reduction is better, I find them more comfortable, and I got tired of cleaning EP4s after each day of jumping. Now I just buy a box of 200 Sparkplugs and use one pair per jump. They do make hearing people on the ground is a bit more difficult, but no problems on the plane or with the audible.

mereanarchy

resurrecting an old thread, are you guys still jumping these? do you jump the EP3 (filtered) or the EP5 (solid?)

I use EP5 now, used to use EP3.
My choise is 5, they are more comfortable and easier to insert.
I think they block more sound, I have noticed that it's harder to hear what others say on the ground when in.
But on the other hand, I can have them in the ear but not inserted and because they are easier to insert I can just push them in just as the plane comes.

(edited)

Menards also carries them.

Something to note though, the filters wear out and as they wear out, you lose hearing protection. A new set vs a set I've used daily for a couple months are a night and day difference in hearing protection levels. Don't be afraid to replace these...

They also make a a version that is just a sealed earplug(model EP5).

I prefer the EP2 model due to the shorter insertion. They are perfect with my cookie g4.

Edited by Cocowheats