Kramer

Bowling For Columbine

Guess what...that's always been the rule until a few years ago. Concealed carry laws have only existed for a short time. With the exception of a couple of small states, that rule was already in effect.

Great, so you would have no trouble going back to that? That also means not being allowed to transport weapons and no target practice.

And as to why the Iraqis didn't fight to keep Saddam out of power, it still has no comparison to what we would do in the US. It's very culturally different.

And, when there was a democracy, no guns kept it there. Nor did guns facilitate the process, help create a democracy, kept anyone safe or free.

As Canuck pointed out, it has something to do with the way Americans are bred to think, and the fact that so many of them are sheep and are easily shaped by the media, etc. I'm not perceptive enough to lay my finger on exactly what mindset makes so many people think killing someone is the solution to a problem (nor is it an easy thing to figure out - that is the point of the movie and Moore's many theories), but it is obviously something about our culture/society that causes people to think this way, if people in other cultures/societies don't think this way.

And that's what BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE is all about! Not gun control. But the social problems of the nation concerning violence and oppression. Guns are a big part of it but let's try not to be so sidetracked as to deny that there are problems.

A thread entitled 'Bowling for Columbine' turns into a gun-control discussion. "Guns kill. Take away the guns!" say the band-aid healers. "If you take away guns, you might as well take away Cars too because they kill more." say those defending guns. Well, mom never took away my toys as a child when I accidentally hurt my sister with 'em... only when I was a little shit and purposly did. ;)

There has to be a happy medium and we are faaaar from it because there is so much violence and oppression in the land of the free. Who can deny that. And who can deny that that's what Micheal is trying to say?

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

Great, so you would have no trouble going back to that? That also means not being allowed to transport weapons and no target practice.

Yes, I would, because now you're trying to infringe on a State's right to pass its own laws. All laws regarding the transportation and carry of weapons is set by state governments, the feds have nothing to do with it.

And, when there was a democracy, no guns kept it there. Nor did guns facilitate the process, help create a democracy, kept anyone safe or free.

I'm sorry...democracy existed in Iraq when? It was part of numerous empires and then ruled by monarchy up to and through WWII, then the Ba'ath party took over and it was ruled by military dictators.

http://www.achilles.net/~sal/iraq_history.html

Yes, I would, because now you're trying to infringe on a State's right to pass its own laws. All laws regarding the transportation and carry of weapons is set by state governments, the feds have nothing to do with it.

There is a such thing as a Federal law. Set a federal law and let the individual states work around it.

There has to be a happy medium and we are faaaar from it because there is so much violence and oppression in the land of the free. Who can deny that.

Don't deny that. The point I'm trying to make is that it needs to be addressed through other means. Gun control will not solve, or even mitigate the problems with violence in this country. It's a cultural thing. Rampant gore and violence is permissable in the media, yet a little nudity or sexual content is banned. That's pretty much the opposite of Canada and Europe. There, sexuality is not repressed, but violence and hate speech is.

And who can deny that that's what Micheal is trying to say?

I can.....he deliberately twisted things and tried to make it look like the proliferation of guns was a major contributory factor, when in fact, it was not. The only contributory factor was a couple of fucked up kids. They weren't that way because they had access to guns, there are other reasons they were like that. That's what should be addressed.

There is a such thing as a Federal law. Set a federal law and let the individual states work around it.

No...there's enough federal laws, in fact too much. The greatest infringements on our rights in general is directly attributable to federal legislation. The feds should be there to ensure freedom, not restrict it.

It was part of numerous empires and then ruled by monarchy up to and through WWII, then the Ba'ath party took over and it was ruled by military dictators.

Not completely true. But funny enough it was the British who created the monarchy in Iraq. They did not succeed in putting a viable democracy in place (which a monarchy can be), why do the americans think they can do it now?

And how many kids would they have killed without guns?

How about a lot more? If they couldn't have had someone break existing laws to buy their guns, they would have spent more time and effort in building the bombs they brought to school with them. Remember the 60 fucking bombs? How many hundred kids would they have killed if they concentrated more on making those bombs function?

Probe: Columbine bombs misfired
By Patrick O'Driscoll, USA TODAY

DENVER - Five months after the Columbine High School massacre, investigators think the nation's worst school shooting started with a botched explosion meant to wipe out hundreds of students.

A picture of indiscriminate killing -- not aimed purposely at school athletes, minorities or Christians -- emerged late last week in news reports confirmed by the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department.

Authorities emphasize that they don't expect to complete their probe for months, perhaps not until early next year. "The final word has not been written," sheriff's spokesman Steve Davis says.

In separate accounts, the on-line magazine Salon and the Denver Rocky Mountain News reported that killers Eric Harris, then 18, and Dylan Klebold, then 17, planted propane-tank bombs in the school cafeteria, waited outside, then stormed through the school after the explosives failed to detonate April 20.

They killed 12 students and a teacher before committing suicide, a final act that investigators believe also was planned.

Salon, which published what it says are excerpts from Harris' diary, quoted sheriff's investigations chief John Kiekbusch as saying "they hated everybody and everything."

Both publications report that investigators now doubt the story of born-again Christian student Cassie Bernall's dramatic "yes" declaration of her faith before she died in the library. A more likely scenario: The killers asked another girl, Valeen Schnurr, "Do you believe in God?" and shot her after she answered yes. Schnurr, with 15 bullet wounds, survived.

Bernall's family, which this month published a book about their daughter, issued a statement Saturday defending the accuracy of their account.

But they also said the events of April 20 were "a small part of the book. Our intent was to share Cassie's story in an effort to encourage parents and teen-agers."

Amid the flurry of attention on the probe, the school celebrated homecoming Friday. At halftime, shooting victim Patrick Ireland, whose fall to freedom from the library windows was nationally televised, was named homecoming king.

Yeah, sure, it wouldn't have happened without guns...:S Your arguement is illogical. Michael Moore distorts facts and sensationalizes to accomplish his goals. His belonging to the NRA is like a Klansman belonging to the NAACP.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

How about a lot more? If they couldn't have had someone break existing laws to buy their guns, they would have spent more time and effort in building the bombs they brought to school with them. Remember the 60 fucking bombs? How many hundred kids would they have killed if they concentrated more on making those bombs function?

Well, thank god they had access to guns then.

Well, thank god they had access to guns then.

The point is that the gun aspect is irrelevant. The kids were the problem, the solution lies in determining what the cause was, and it wasn't guns. People will want the easy fix, ban guns, but that won't make a bit of difference. Or, they'll say, we don't want to ban guns, we just want to restrict them, why won't you compromise. And guess what, it still won't make a bit of difference, and then they'll want more compromise, and it won't make a difference until there is a ban, which won't make a difference. In the meantime, the true issues are being ignored because of ignorance.

Several, maybe you missed the fact they detonated a few home made pipe bombs too.

If they didn't have guns, I am sure the bombs would have been sufficient.

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

"Coalition forces are making a concerted effort to strip the country of its small-arms cache, but they face a Herculean task. The country has an entrenched culture of gun ownership. “Give everything to your friend,” an old Iraqi saying runs, “except your car, your wife, and your gun.” Given the complete breakdown in law and order following the collapse of the Hussein regime, Iraqis are particularly reluctant to give up their weapons now."

That says there are a lot of guns in the country. Where does it say everyone there has one? Last I recall, Hussein was very giving towards certain groups and, well, used nerve gas on others. Just because there are a lot of guns does not mean there is an equal distribution of guns.

exactly and the fact that almost every Iraqi owned a gun did not prevent a tyraniccal leader coming to power. The same holds for Afghanistan.

So, please provide evidence that nearly every Iraqi had a gun. And as I recall, there's basically been a war going on there with and without us since the lines were drawn. Hussein did not rule the entire country. People in the north did prevent themselves from being wiped off the map, despite tanks, chemical agents, being severely out numbered and having outside support ebb and flow like the tides.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

That says there are a lot of guns in the country. Where does it say everyone there has one? Last I recall, Hussein was very giving towards certain groups and, well, used nerve gas on others. Just because there are a lot of guns does not mean there is an equal distribution of guns.

You didn't read the whole article or did a little bit of research for yourself did you?

Outside of giving them away, they were widely for sale in both legal and illegal markets.

I don't think there is much of an equal distribution of guns in the US either. You still need the money to buy them, same in Iraq.

exactly and the fact that almost every Iraqi owned a gun did not prevent a tyraniccal leader coming to power. The same holds for Afghanistan.

So, please provide evidence that nearly every Iraqi had a gun.

That's just childish.

Not each and every American has a gun. But the ones that do, and fight the hardest to keep 'em, say it's to prevent a tyraniccal leader... Per capita, I'm positive you can't deny that Iraqies have more guns then the States. It's not only a right to have one, It's part of everyday life and culture for them.

The point being raised is that these guns didn't help them overthrow their Saddam. And when the States do it for them, they take the guns away. We don't understand the double-standard.

Your explanation/argument is "Proove that they all have guns?"

And BTW, where's my response? did you not find grammar/spelling errors in my last post to you?

The point being raised is that these guns didn't help them overthrow their Saddam.

Do you know what it means when someone is institutionalized? When someone in prison gives up hope because they've been there so long. You offer them freedom, but they don't want it, and kill themselves when they get out because they don't know what to do with it. Think of Robin Williams in Moscow on the Hudson when he freaks out in the grocery store after defecting from the USSR because he can't deal with all the choices of coffee. The Iraqi people have been institutionalized for millenia. Americans have not. This argument or comparison is completely invalid.

And when the States do it for them, they take the guns away. We don't understand the double-standard.

If you're going to base all of your knowledge on someone elses post in the thread, make sure to read all of them. He admitted later on that their guns weren't taken away. There is no double standard. And even if there were, the current circumstances in Iraq do not equate to a free society. That process is under way, and will hopefully succeed, but it's not even close right now. People are dying, it's still a war.

... because now you're trying to infringe on a State's right to pass its own laws. All laws regarding the transportation and carry of weapons is set by state governments, the feds have nothing to do with it.

And there's such a thing as our Constitution. We never gave our central government the power to make any laws it likes.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Show me one shred of evidence stating the NRA took up the KKK's crusade. Show me one piece of scientific research or analysis showing their goals have anything in common.

I really don't think there is any left now in 2003. It is clear that they are not related today. It is also clear that they are not the same oganisation that they founded in 1871.

So again, show me one shred of evidence to back your claim that the NRA of 1871 took up the goals/causes/actions of the KKK.

I think you meant disbanded. And I have news for you. The KKK is still alive and spewing their own brand of hate. The bedsheets never left, they just got folded up.

1870 Force Acts (KKK Acts) passed by Congress ­ seek to enforce 15th Amendment by giving Federal protection for black suffrage, and authorize the use of Federal troops against the KKK. These acts are declared unconstitutional in Cruikshank v. U.S. in the 1880s. Federal Troops! the KKK is around today yes... but I bet they were nowhere to be found in the handful of years following this!

OK, so show me evidence that the KKK stopped its actions after 1870, or that "they were nowhere to be found." I know they slowed, having a rather large force against them, but show me something saying they were out of action.

"fighting any form of limitation or restraint" That would mean they're against keeping guns from "negros," wouldn't it?

Objectively speaking, It would... Unfortunately though, it didn't. Come on man!

Now if you've read this far (and not been sidetracked by any spelling errors I might have made) tell me, if the 'colors' werent' using public washrooms until 1875... and even that new right granted was practically revoked in 1883; They weren't allowed on the same damned trains until 1896 (and STILL couldn't be in the same carts as whites)... Tell me you think the wonderful NRA, in 1871, was fighting for the right of the black man to carry a gun.

Read accounts of southern blacks becoming NRA members to take advantage of programs distributing old military rifles. Or read the history of the phrase "saturday night special." In 1871 the NRA wasn't fighting for anyone's rights at all. If you'd read the link to NRA's page, they started as an organization to promote marksmanship.

brief history:
Dismayed by the lack of marksmanship shown by their troops, Union veterans Col. William C. Church and Gen. George Wingate formed the National Rifle Association in 1871. The primary goal of the association would be to "promote and encourage rifle shooting on a scientific basis," according to a magazine editorial written by Church.

Clayton E. Cramer, "The Racist Roots of Gun
Control," Kansas Journal of Law & Public Policy,
Winter 1995
"The Second Amendment: Toward an Afro-
Americanist Reconsideration," by Robert J. Cottrol
and Raymond T. Diamond, Georgetown Law J.
**there are many better sources, but these are a
good start
witty subliminal message
1*

The point being raised is that these guns didn't help them overthrow their Saddam.

Do you know what it means when someone is institutionalized? When someone in prison gives up hope because they've been there so long. You offer them freedom, but they don't want it, and kill themselves when they get out because they don't know what to do with it.

They had guns before this institutionalisation... their guns did not prevent it. I think that's the point.

This argument or comparison is completely invalid.

Just because someone refuses to hear you, doesn't mean your point is completely invalid.

And when the States do it for them, they take the guns away. We don't understand the double-standard.

If you're going to base all of your knowledge on someone elses post in the thread, make sure to read all of them. He admitted later on that their guns weren't taken away.

I know, this is what he said:

Actually the ruling now is that they are allowed to own small arms, yet they are only allowed to keep them in their home or their place of business. They are not allowed to carry them anywhere.

Maybe that is a good compromise for the US itself.

They are still much more restricted in their gun ownership and uses than you are in the states... And there the ones who have the shit to go through with their own leaders.

There is no double standard.

Once again:

Actually the ruling now is that they are allowed to own small arms, yet they are only allowed to keep them in their home or their place of business. They are not allowed to carry them anywhere.

They had guns before this institutionalisation... their guns did not prevent it. I think that's the point.

I guess you missed the millenia part. Before the Ba'ath party it was the nazis, before that it was monarchs, before that it was british empire, before that it was arab kings....they've NEVER had democracy.

Just because someone refuses to hear you, doesn't mean your point is completely invalid.

No, but when you contrast two completely disparate things, your point is invalid.

They are still much more restricted in their gun ownership and uses than you are in the states... And there the ones who have the shit to go through with their own leaders.

They are? What do you know about gun laws? Tell me what restrictions they have that are more stringent than New Jersey, or NYC, or Illinois, or California. Do some research before making claims.

Do your homework. Even when concealed carry was restricted or denied, there were exemptions to allow firearm transport to target shoots, armorers, dog training, and hunting, among other things.

And why should we go back from right to carry? You have not responded to Lott's study, or to Kleck and Gertz.
witty subliminal message
1*

They are? What do you know about gun laws? Tell me what restrictions they have that are more stringent than New Jersey, or NYC, or Illinois, or California. Do some research before making claims.

Don't forget my alma mater state, Maryland, and DC. 300 murders a year in Baltimore, and DC regaining the title Murder Capitol of America (per 100,000).
witty subliminal message
1*

So again, show me one shred of evidence to back your claim that the NRA of 1871 took up the goals/causes/actions of the KKK.

Sh*t Tom, show me one shred of evidence that a copious amount of disbanded KKK members didn't join the NRA in an attempt to secure their weapons and a 'reasonable' excuse to have them. (i.e. the "promotion and encouragement of rifle shooting on a scientific basis" [sniker])

There is none! We're talking about 132 years ago and you show me "a brief history" of the NRA (FROM THE NRA WEBPAGE) to prove that they had honnerable intentions?

OK, so show me evidence that the KKK stopped its actions after 1870, or that "they were nowhere to be found." I know they slowed, having a rather large force against them, but show me something saying they were out of action.

Show me evidence that KKK didn't stop or diminish it's actions after some Federal Troops were given the okay to take 'em down if they continue. Again, we're talking about 132 years ago but.... show me one shred of evidence that a copious amount of disbanded KKK members didn't join the NRA in an attempt to secure their weapons and a 'reasonable' excuse to have them. (i.e. the "promotion and encouragement of rifle shooting on a scientific basis")

If you'd read the link to NRA's page, they started as an organization to promote marksmanship.

Somehow, I already doubted the NRA would have put ties to the KKK on their webpage for all to see.

Anyway, I did read the page... it was good for a laugh.
"promote and encourage rifle shooting on a scientific basis." :D
So it's fine that this is the reason the NRA was founded... Now show me one shred of evidence that a copious amount of disbanded KKK members didn't join the NRA in an attempt to secure their weapons and a 'reasonable' excuse to have them. (i.e. the "promotion and encouragement of rifle shooting on a scientific basis")

brief history:
Dismayed by the lack of marksmanship shown by their troops, Union veterans Col. William C. Church and Gen. George Wingate formed the National Rifle Association in 1871. The primary goal of the association would be to "promote and encourage rifle shooting on a scientific basis," according to a magazine editorial written by Church.

Clayton E. Cramer, "The Racist Roots of Gun
Control," Kansas Journal of Law & Public Policy,
Winter 1995
"The Second Amendment: Toward an Afro-
Americanist Reconsideration," by Robert J. Cottrol
and Raymond T. Diamond, Georgetown Law J.
**there are many better sources, but these are a
good start

will these sources show me one shred of evidence that a copious amount of disbanded KKK members didn't join the NRA in an attempt to secure their weapons and a 'reasonable' excuse to have them. (i.e. the "promotion and encouragement of rifle shooting on a scientific basis") ?

Do your homework. Even when concealed carry was restricted or denied, there were exemptions to allow firearm transport to target shoots, armorers, dog training, and hunting, among other things.

Yes, but m point was that those exemptions are not being made in Iraq, now are they?

Sh*t Tom, show me one shred of evidence that a copious amount of disbanded KKK members didn't join the NRA in an attempt to secure their weapons and a 'reasonable' excuse to have them. (i.e. the "promotion and encouragement of rifle shooting on a scientific basis" [sniker])

There is none! We're talking about 132 years ago and you show me "a brief history" of the NRA (FROM THE NRA WEBPAGE) to prove that they had honnerable intentions?

Well, I show you evidence, and your rebuttal is "sniker." Not a valid criticism of the source, not a source with contradictory results, but "sniker." Now you ask me to prove a negative. Is that a cop out or what? And we agreed they were not disbanded, so stop using that word.

I have news for you. In 1871, people didn't need "a reasonable excuse" to own a gun. There was no "excuse," it was expected that you have one or more. This is the last time I respond to you until you provide evidence to your claim that mass numbers of KKK members took the NRA and made it their new bastion of hate.

(ps - it's honorable. Like I said, that little 'check spelling' button is real handy.)
witty subliminal message
1*