clemsonbelle425

Advice on buying first wingsuit for boyfriend

Hi friends! I am a new skydiver who is looking to buy a surprise wingsuit for my boyfriend. He has a tracking suit already, but has talked many times about wanting a wingsuit. I want to surprise him on our anniversary with one. He says he loves Phoenix Sun. He is 6 ft 2, 230 lbs. He has almost 350 skydives & 200 basejumps. I want to get him one which he could use for both eventually. He has a tracking suit that he is experienced with, but I don't think he has ever done a wingsuit jump. If I get him one, could he try it out & send it back if he doesn't like it? I guess I could buy a gift certificate for the company for one, but it would be so much more fun surprising him with the actual wingsuit. I appreciate all ya'lls help! Shoutout to those in the AFP program! I am in AFP Level 4! So free now that I am let go by my instructor! Skydiving is truly living! : )

Hi friends! I am a new skydiver who is looking to buy a surprise wingsuit for my boyfriend. He has a tracking suit already, but has talked many times about wanting a wingsuit. I want to surprise him on our anniversary with one. He says he loves Phoenix Sun. He is 6 ft 2, 230 lbs. He has almost 350 skydives & 200 basejumps. I want to get him one which he could use for both eventually. He has a tracking suit that he is experienced with, but I don't think he has ever done a wingsuit jump. If I get him one, could he try it out & send it back if he doesn't like it?

Nope - they're usually made to measure (and you get to pick colors too).

It's a awesome gesture on your part. there are a lot of variables that he needs input on. How about a hand made "gift card" stating what you intend to do (?) that way you get to surprise him and you can both sit down and decide what to do together ;)

DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

The above advise is by far the more senceable but if you are determined to be romantic...

Call the dealer that he orderd his last jumpsute through or call the manufaterer, PF. They'll have the measurements you need or close enough. If he already kind of has colors to his rig and jump suit then that should be easy. you're probbable far more qualified to color in the drawing then he is and I garenty he'll be in love with it by the time he lands on his first jump. NO PINK.

But most importantly start makeing a list or all the favers, sexual, meaneal, and other wise that he is going to owe you. You might want to start shopping on line for that coller and leash seeing as you are going to own his ass.

Keep in mind the wait time. before the surprise. In fact you might be able to use that to your advantage if you went the other route. They don't cut and build that jump suit till they last week... plenty of time to keep your new slave under your thumb if you are woried about the length of his gratitude/memory.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Seeing how he hasn't even done a wingsuit first flight course yet, buying him a wingsuit is akin to buying someone a rig before they do AFF. Chances are the suit he learns on and continues to learn on will not be the suit that he will want in say 100 flights. Seeing how they are custom made and quite an investment, I would recommend you look into getting him a manufacturer gift certificate AFTER he does his first flight course and has the opportunity to try some of the different wingsuit that are out there.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Seeing how he hasn't even done a wingsuit first flight course yet, buying him a wingsuit is akin to buying someone a rig before they do AFF.

Disagree. It's not like the guy has 10 skydives and is looking for a suit. My Phantom served me well, and I bought it well before i did a FFC... I still haven't done a course yet, and I seem to be surviving.

I have bought 6 suits now (5PF, 1TS). Phoenix-Fly, not phoenix sun. ;) If he has a tracking suit, it's probably a phoenix fly one. They are the most prevalent. Though I do own a birdman one....B|

I vote Phoenix-fly gift certificate (Talk to Kathy at Baserigs.com). It gives him some choice, but to be honest at his level, there are only a few suits that would safey serve him for beginning wingsuit skydiving and then a transition to beginning wingsuit base...

You must be a great girlfriend. If you groundcrew for him as well, he probably should get you a ring.

Like you, I base my comments off of my experience, which has been teaching and selling wingsuits for about a decade. The distinct difference is that YOU knew which model suit you preferred at that time and made a choice to purchase that model knowing that if you didn't like the suit afterwards that it is was on you. It would be a more prudent choice to wait until the OP's boyfriend has had a chance to fly certain models/Brands before buying him a suit that he may not like and or want after actually getting some experience in a wingsuit. Which is why I suggested a simple gift certificate, to allow the Boyfriend the opportunity to make his own decision and to choose a suit that is within his skill/safety level.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

.... but to be honest at his level, there are only a few suits that would safey serve him for beginning wingsuit skydiving and then a transition to beginning wingsuit base...

Ditto here. It's not at all uncommon for someone to show up at Elsinore (full-time wingsuit school) with an Intro, Prodigy, or Phantom 2 that they purchased on their own, in advance of any wingsuit flight. Then there was the guy that showed up with a tattered Birdman S6 for his FFC, sold to him by a very experienced "instructor."[:/]

I have no problems training folks in their own suit. While Intros are only good for a few jumps, the P2 is one that will last them through hundreds if not more jumps. It's also exceptionally common as a wingsuit for BASE.

A gift certificate for a First Flight Course would be another option. I'm happy to provide names of qualified wingsuit coaches that have training suits around the US.

While it sounds like a nice idea, buying custom built skydiving equipment for someone esle, without their knowledge, is generally not the best idea.

Jumpsuits and harness/containers are so option heavy that you can never be sure that you're buying exactly what they want. You may come close, but whatever isn't exactly right, the guy still has to live with. You can't (usually) send things back to be reconfigured without significant cost, and you can't just return things like you buy at the mall. What you order is what you get and what you have to live with.

Reserve or main canopies, helmets, altimeters, and AADs are all fair game. If you know which model of those he's interested in, the only options are the colors, and if you're willing to buy the guy any of the above, he can live with whatever colors you choose.

How about this, finish your training, and spend the wingsuit money on a pile of jump tickets for the two of you to make a bunch of jumps together? That's a better gift for an anniversary because it involves the two of you, not just you buying him something he can't share with you until you have several hundred jumps.

DSE stated"A gift certificate for a First Flight Course would be another option. I'm happy to provide names of qualified wingsuit coaches that have training suits around the US."

I agree with DSE. this is my advice based on my experience. when my wife was my girlfriend she would ask my buddies what toys to buy me. they were good but it was never exactly what i wanted. sometimes, just what they wanted to borrow, hah. over the years she learned to buy gift certificates and then explain the intent. for example for you," i want you to have a wingsuit but wasn't sure what you would feel is best. now you can spend the money on training or a your favorite suit" he will love it more than a suit you did your best to buy. my 2cents
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

Thank you guys so much for your advice! Hmmmm--at least I have 2 months to get together what I am going to do. Prob will get him a wingsuit through Phoenix-Fly (thanks for the correction) or a gift certicate from there since that is what he wants. Haha, I loved what you said about me doing ground crew for him. I love being him & his basejumping friends' groundcrew. So exciting! I pray for him everytime though! I am so glad we are living life to the fullest together & doing what we love! Now it's getting my parents to like me skydiving! They are scared by the thought now, but hopefully they will come around. I am 27 & an adult & am doing what I love! When I signed up to do a tandem, I never imagined that I would fall in love with the sport of skydiving! Its amazing being able to share my experiences with the one I love! Enjoying reading ya'll's profiles. A lot of ya'll have such experience in the sport. I am amazed! : ) Blue skies!