e.a.hernandez

Power tool and closing loop length

Hi,

Can anyone explain the use of power tools to close a rig (when closing the main)? Is this just to make the job easier or is it because the closing loop is too damn short in the first place? Wouldn't the short closing loop potentially cause a pilot chute in tow? Pardon my ignorance :$

Blue Skies,

Erick

Some people like a power tool because the metal bar is easy to grab onto, and doesn't tear on the skin like a pullup cord can.

It has nothing to do with closing loop length.

Closing loops should be shorter, to make the packjob tight. It's pretty tough to have a loop that's "too short", as long as you can close the rig. When falling at terminal speeds, a pilot chute will put in excess of 30 pounds of force on the pin. The curved shape of the pin makes it easy to come out when pulled in any direction.

Things to check for:

1. Smooth pin free of any dings or significant scratches.
2. Proper routing of the bridle.
3. Cocked pilot chute in good condition

As long as those 3 items are met, its almost guaranteed that the pilot chute will pull the pin, every time - even with a tight closing loop.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I've seen many rigs with loops waaay too short. distorting stiffeners, cracking them and pulling grommets out. Be careful about setting up your gear. Seen too much damage caused by "If a little bit's good, a whole lot's better!"

I have one, only used it once.
regular pull-up cord works just fine and I can put it my packing card pouch and not worry about losing a ~$12+ "tool"

once I get the loop through the first flap, its relatively easy for the others.

FWIW, I do see more women using the tool.
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

a pilot chute will put in excess of 30 pounds of force on the pin.

I thought it was about 3 times that much force.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I don't think 3 times - not 90 pounds. I know of tests that show up to 70 pounds, but ultimately it'll depend on airspeed. On hop-and pops, it'll be much less than 70.

Anyways, to the original poster - as long everything is in good shape and packed correctly, the pin will come out.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Power tools simply make it easier on your hands. If I'm packing all day long, "normal" pullup cords chew up the sides of my hands pretty bad.

I was taught that if you can close the container with a straight pull, the pin will pull. You simply cannot make it too tight by pulling with your arms.

Watch a rigger close a reserve container sometime. Many use a "ratcheting tension device" to make it easier. And it still is only a 22# max pull.

Last - Don't wear a powertool around your neck. I see that a lot and it really bothers me. It's not a good idea to put something around your neck that will kill you before it breaks.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I just tried one of those power tools today and loved it. Specially, I like how easy it is to close the container flaps in one move without having to pull, go thru a flap, pull, go thru, flap...and so on. The down side is that they are more expensive to the ubiquitous pull up cords. As far as the closing loop length I experimented with different lengths and noticed the force required to pull the pin increased (with shorted loop) a little but not much. I think I had my closing loop too long because when I sitted on my container or pressed down on it a little bit the pin would be loose and would come out easy (kind of scary when you consider all the sitting and shifting around on an aircraft). Thanks all for the feedback :)
Blue Skies,

Erick

What ever happened to the good ol' days when we used cheap pull up chords and man handled rigs to get them closed and tore our hands up? These new "power tools" are going to turn us all into little girls.

That being said, I love using my power tool for packing tandems all day

I don't think 3 times - not 90 pounds. I know of tests that show up to 70 pounds, but ultimately it'll depend on airspeed. On hop-and pops, it'll be much less than 70.

Anyways, to the original poster - as long everything is in good shape and packed correctly, the pin will come out.

_Am

A hand deploy pilot chute in decent will produce over 100 pounds of drag. On a very tight pack job it will take no more than 10 pounds to pull a curved pin.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I have a pretty tight loop and the pin usually gets pulled before the PC even flies properly. I'd imagine it would be pretty hard to induce a PC-in-tow by having a tight loop.

You should check you PC. If it is not inflated at that stage it is broken.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I have a pretty tight loop and the pin usually gets pulled before the PC even flies properly. I'd imagine it would be pretty hard to induce a PC-in-tow by having a tight loop.

You should check you PC. If it is not inflated at that stage it is broken.

Sparky

Its wingsuit jump, its always a complete mess after tossing it. It took ~367 ms for it inflate and to start to fly on that jump (22 frames at 59,95 fps) and 8 frames after that frame to fly.

And I've checked the PC and according to this :

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=132976

it should be ok.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

You can also close all the flaps at once using a Power Tool instead of threading them one at a time with a pull-up cord.

Yeah, well some of are not big, strong guys.
:D:D:P
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239