jmar595

Cant stop thinking about it!

I cant stop thinking about getting my gear. I jumped my first solo last weekend and lack 15 dives to be able to go for my license, but I cant stop thinking about getting my own rig. Just cant wait. I am curious about what to get though. I am currently using a Nav. 260 in a dolphin container. I am 5'10" and 180#.

Get a few more jumps (IE: 15 or 20) and you'll have a much better idea what you should get, or might want and your instructors will help you, but you can also ask for info. Be inquisitive on a slow day or go to the DZ on crappy weather day and LEARN!

I can't wait to get jumping again...it's still winter'ish here...
"When once you have tasted flight..."

I cant stop thinking about getting my gear. I jumped my first solo last weekend and lack 15 dives to be able to go for my license, but I cant stop thinking about getting my own rig. Just cant wait. I am curious about what to get though. I am currently using a Nav. 260 in a dolphin container. I am 5'10" and 180#.

I can tell you are really stoked. I do not want to put a wet blanket on your fire so all I will say is take your time, talk to your instructors, and do your research. Once you know what you should be looking for you can start shopping. There are usually some pretty nice used rigs for sale that will fit your needs. Other than that, be safe and have fun.

When you do buy the gear (hopefully not now as other already mentioned) look first for a reserve to match your experience level and weight. Then check if it comes with a container to fit your body size and intended main canopy (which obviously should match again your experience/ weight).
DO NOT LOOK FOR THE MAIN OR CONTAINER FIRST or you may end up jumping in an unsafe condition for a while (smaller reserve than you can handle).
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

I cant stop thinking about getting my gear

Get used to it. Once you do get a rig, give it about six months and you'll be fixated on getting another rig, or a different rig, or a newer rig, or something.

As a general rule of thumb, you want your first rig to hold canopies that will put you at a 1 to 1 wingloading. So if you weigh 180, then you add 25lbs for the rig, helmet, clothes, shoes, etc, you're up to an exit weight of 205lbs. What that means is that you'll be in the area of a conservative 210, or a less conservative 190.

In either case, it's a far way off from the 260 you're jumping now. What you do is use the remaining 15 jumps you have to work your way down through the different sized student rigs the DZ has to offer. Mention to your instructor that you'd like to start working in that direction, and then depending on how you perform under the 260, you'll either get some tips to improve your performance, or they'll hand you a 240 for your next jump.

The idea with gear is that you never buy anything that you don't fit into, or can safely jump, at the time or purcahse. The size issue just means don't buy a jumpsuit or harness that is too small for you because you intend to lose a few pounds before you jump it. If the weight loss doesn't go as planned, all you're left with is gear that doesn't fit. More importantly is not buying something you can safely jump at the time of purchase.

Per my comment above, if you went out and found a 'great deal' on a used rig with a 190 main and a 176 reserve with plans to not jump it until you're licensed, you may get to that point and find out that you're not that good at canopy control. Maybe you really should be jumping a 210, but you have the 190, so that's what you jump. You manage 'OK' on the 190, and then you have your first malfunction. The 176 reserve is waaay too small for you, and you break your leg trying to land it. If you had waited to buy the rig, you would have known that a 210 main/210 reserve was the right combination for you, and you would have had 34 extra sq ft of reserve canopy over your head.

So sit back, relax, and enjoy jumping somebody else's gear (the DZ). When you get close to a license, get with your instructors and start talking about what size canopies would work for you. Base all your buying decisions around those sizes, any canopies smaller than those are not for you, and any rig built for anything smaller is not for you, no matter how much of a 'good deal' it might be.

Shop used for your first rig, it will save you thousands of dollars. Be open to the idea of buying the main from one person, the reserve from another, the container somewhere esle. Looking for a rig that has the right size main, reserve, and harness, in your price range and for sale when you're ready to buy can be tough. Picking up the pieces one at a time is generally easier, and you make sure you get exactly what you want, not whatever some guy happened to have for sale. Before buying anything used, talk with a local rigger about the purchase, and have them inspect whatever you buy ASAP. Either have the seller ship it to your rigger before payment, or make sure they'll refund your money (minus shipping) if it doesn't meet your riggers expectations.

One last thing - avoid reading DZ.com or manufacturers websites and calling that 'research'. It's not, it's just reading a bunch of stuff from unqualified or biased sources. Talk to local riggers in real life about what gera they like or don't like. They actually work with and repair the stuff, so they know the in's and out's. It's like buying a used car, you can ask your buddies or the salesman what they think of the car, but what you really want to do is talk to your mechanic. He knows the 'inside scoop' and he'll be working on it anyway, so he's the guy to ask.

Thank you all for the great advise. I'm sure I will be constantly in thought about this for a while. I am going to wait, but cant wait until I can finally do it. I am defineately going to wait till quite a bit more jumps. I plan on doing quite a few in the next few weekends, should be close to the 25 by then. I have been watching the classifieds, alot of small rigs out there. I dont think I will go past a 190 for a long time. I will probabally start looking at a 210, but we'll see what it looks like later on. I do pretty good under the canopy so far, all stand up soft landings. I have been reading as much as I can about it. I like Canopy and its pilot, it is a pretty good one. Blue skies and good times to all!