jasonic

Altimeters Digital vs Analog newbie

For those thinking that an analog takes longer to 'read' than a digital, that may be due to caring about the 'detail' of whether you are at 9k or 7k etc

There is a significant difference between 7 and 9 on an analog.

I'd say that for less than 500 feet *I* find the analog so much faster.... And do you really care about increments
Bob: Hey, lets break at 3,347 feet on this one.:P

Do the test I suggested and buy the one YOU can read the fastest/easiest.

For me, I can see out of the corner of my eye an analog and know within 500 feet of where I am... That is much faster than I can read a digital.

You have to make the call for you.... But I also like how analogs do not need battery's
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

having worked in aviation from the transition from analog to digital cockpit instruments, I've seen quite a few papers written on the subject.

analog are easier to read, and by that, I mean you can quickly 'read' them. take a watch as an example, you can sneak a quick peek at one to get a general idea of what time it is, and you can also take a bit longer to get a more accurate reading. with analog, you get a relative reading and something to reference the needles movement against.

digital will more than likely always give you a more accurate number, but you cant see trends and you don't get any reference.

a lot of aviation instruments or displays will combine analog with digital for the above stated reasons.

I use analog for free-fall, it's easy to glance at and get a relative idea as to where you are from break-off. I like the digital under canopy as I'm looking for more accurate altitudes

you need to decide for yourself which you want to use, I bet you can borrow to help you decide.
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

Having had two Altitracks (one went through the washing machine; the other "disappeared"), I bought a VISO II and really like how easy it is to read and the fact that in freefall you can easily toggle between displaying altitude and displaying vertical speed which is important to me as I practice different fall rates to improve my big-way skills.

I also like the VISO II because it sits flat on the back of your hand and takes up far less room than an altitrack or Galaxy. (I also have a Galaxy Extreme permently mounted to my harness which is great under canopy and when my hands are where I can't see them.

digital will more than likely always give you a more accurate number,

A very bad assumption. One early digital altimeter was notoriously inaccurate.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Digital appear to be more accurate because they give a 'number' rather than a 'close to' value. They may or may not be more accurate.

I've been jumping the same altimaster II for 30 years. On a chest strap mount. From the days when we look at the other guys altimeter. B| But, I mounted mine with 3000' straight out from my body rather than zero. This way I knew what straight out meant, it was easier to see the needle when at the 'action' altitude and never have needed to read the numbers on the face. Now, wearing trifocals, I can take them off for the jump and still 'read' my altimeter. I know at least one other person above said with trifocals they liked the digital better. YMMV.

I also have a Altimaster III for my hand but when I wear it I almost never look at it.

Bottom line, pick what you want, learn it's issues and advantages, and don't drop it on the concrete several times.;)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE