Kaz

Aarrrghhh - Anyone quit smoking successfully??

I'm about to pass the 40 hour mark. Using nicotine patches that itch like crazy and just need something in my mouth all the time. I was told yesterday that it doesn't physically get any harder than the first day but it's a lot worse today.

I had so much trouble getting my A licence that I keep telling myself if I can do that I can do anything but this is sooooo tuff. It was hard getting myself in the plane but it was all over in 1/2 hour and I'm wondering if this will EVER get any easier.

If anyone has any tips on how to get through this I'd really appreciate it! Maybe I need to change my sig. to be Never ever ever give up giving up, lol.
Kaz
Never ever ever give up

I have been off them for 3 years after 25 years of a 2 pack a day habit.
All you have to do is WANT IT.

Keep yourself busy
No alcohol for a couple weeks, drinking will kill your effort.

Dont forget that you are stronger than the monkey.

and just need something in my mouth all the time.

Lol..I'm not touching that one, lol...

I was told yesterday that it doesn't physically get any harder than the first day but it's a lot worse today.

Yep...and expect it to sneak up on ya' when you least expect it. Trust me, here.

I'm wondering if this will EVER get any easier.

Yep, it gets easier...but it takes time. Just hang in there.

If anyone has any tips on how to get through this I'd really appreciate it!

I use peppermint/cinnamon mints. Yeah, I gained a few pounds, too, but hey, I can lose weight - I don't wanna lose my life.

Maybe I need to change my sig. to be Never ever ever give up giving up, lol.

That's the ticket...never ever ever give up giving up...It's been quite a while since I quit - successfully, I might add - and after all this time, I still have a little voice that tells me it's ok to smoke just one, every once in a while. The urge goes away pretty quickly, tho, when I realise why I quit. The reason has to be a valid one. I couldn't quit for others - I tried that - I had to do it for myself - and for some very selfish but extremely valid reasons...life or death. Literally...Listen to this very closely. I smoked 2-3 packs of menthol cigs for over 40 years, the last 10 years going to sometimes 4 packs a day. Now, at 13,000 feet, I have a hard time breathing. According to the dr.s at the VA hospital, I have caused sever damage to my body, resulting in 2 heart attacks, diabetes, sever shortness of breath and now have to use an inhaler (albuterol sulfate and lpratroplum bromide) four times a day for the rest of my life. If that isn't enough to scare you, at least it should be enough to make you think.

TripleF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

I'm on Day 8

All is well.

Hint> Don't go out drinking where everyone else is smoking - It is pure torture.

I am using Nicotrol and Zyban and it is like no big deal anymore. Didn't even use the nicotrol yesterday.:)

I have heard ( From my Mom) that a spagetti stick works pretty good for something to do with your hands. It's edible, and at the same time - not all that pleasant - so you get rid of that prettyy easy later on.

Good luck
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Kaz,

After smoking for 16 years I quit. May 3, 1983..over 20 years ago. The first days are horrible. After a couple of weeks have gone by it should be getting easier.

Hang in there...I quit for ten seconds at a time...for 20 years.

You won't regret it.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Kaz, I've posted to alot of brothers and sisters who stopped smoking. I don't know what will work for you, but I know what worked for me. I just kept telling myself that I won't taste like an ashtray when I kiss someone, and taste is everything! hope that helps!-Caress
I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being
right.

I quit for 3 yrs and one thing that helped was to keep reminding myself of all the things I hated about smoking. Like when the smoke gets in your eyes and burns like hell. The smell of a smoldering butt ( cig butt that is). How you and your clothes smell. The ashes all over your house and car. How the great looking women give you that disgusted look when you light up and try to look cool (because they evidently don't smoke). I'm sure you know of other things that bother you. Just keep reminding yourself when you get the urge. Hope this helps!!!
:)

It get easier, but yes, the craving will sneak up on you.

I'm at three months tomorrow!! Woo hooo!!

Don't know if this will help, but I've started admitting out loud that "I would really enjoy a cigarette right now," and then I don't do it, 'cause I don't NEED it.

Also, stay aware and proud of every minute/hour/day that you go without a cig, and remember that you'll have to start ALL OVER again if you succumb to the craving. The longer you go, the more is at stake until it's just plain not worth it.

Personally, I jumped right into the smokey bar scene, because that's where I socialize. The sooner you get used it, the better. I knew I wasn't going to quit that - I just had to quit the drinking-smoking connection. THAT was hard.

Good luck to you! Stay strong, be proud, and remember why you're quitting in the first place!

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Yhea it's doable!! hang in there. At first it seems like you will never be able to kick the habit and that you will smoke forever... But really, it's possible to quit! The key to success is genuinely wanting to quit...
If you are doing it for someone else, or just because... it will most assurely fail! I don't believe in all this patch/nicotine bullshit! quiting smoking is a mind thing. Just like like a first AFF! The body says" fuck no we are not gonna jump out of that plane..."
But the mind says: "You are prepared, you have trained, you can do this and we want to do this for the right reasons!"
So if your mind is into quiting, you will succeed! If it's not, go buy yourself a pack right now because you will save yourself 3 weeks of torture until you start up again...
Also, none of that "I only smoke while I drink bullshit!" If you are gonna quit, that means quit puting any smoke down the lungs!
Cigares are not an alternative :P
Think of all the crap associated with smoking... ever wondered how it feels for a none smoker to kiss a smoker?? Try French kissing an ashtray! The money blown in smoke, the taring of the lungs... do you really need to tare the road to heaven:D

Bottom line: keep focused on why you want to quit, be truely willing to quit and avoid being around people how smoke at first. Your body will have a shit fit at first but this goes away after a few days. The rest is in the head... think as a none smoker not as an ex smoker! That will help!

"We see the world just the way we are...

Dude, I quit about 9 months ago. I crave one from time to time but mostly not. I found the best way to fight an urge....espcially during the first few days is to run people off the road. Reach out and choke idiots at random. Just give in to the mean, nasty, burning feeling that is crawling up your spine.
After you get donme kicking some numbnuts silly for paying with a credit card for a pack of gum...just look at them and say,"I just quit smoking. Sorry." They will understand....

Seriously, just gut it out. I tried patches and started worrying when my next patch was due to go on.....no crutches....
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

Kaz,

I have some jumper friends who swear by this hypnotist in Illinois. They said they went a couple times and that was it, they never craved a cigarrette again. One guy smoked for over 10 years and I'm not sure how long the other two smoked for.

If you want more info I can contact one or more of them and find out the hypnotist's name but all three were quite successful and haven't smoked since (as far as I know). In fact one guy, you may even know, his name is Norge Roi. He is a big way organizer and was our 16 Way team captain in 2002.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

My wife and I had both smoked for 10 years and quit cold turkey, no patches nothing. The first month was tough but it was more breaking the hand habits than the actual smoking itself. We're 3+ years now and going strong.

Stick with it, I PROMISE it's worth it.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Are ya "tryin" to quit, or did you quit? Pretty simple.

I quit 2 months ago. Smoked since the 4th grade, Im almost 40. Hell, I'd LOVE to fire up a delicious Camel Filter right now, but I quit, so I wont.

good luck

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-