agentsmith413

psycho packing

Ya think? ...Based on what? Watching it in/on videos?

I was just thinking out loud.
If you roll from the top and pull in theory you are pulling the lines tight right?
And since the material is rolling on it self it should act to hold things tight. While S folds would maybe induce more movement?
Just asking. Like I said I've never jumped it and I have yet to speak to my packer regarding the issue. So I was just asking. Cool....
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

If you roll from the top and pull in theory you are pulling the lines tight right?
And since the material is rolling on it self it should act to hold things tight. While S folds would maybe induce more movement?

I would think it would think its the other way around... ZP is some slippery shit when its new.

Notice in the PD packing video, he FOLDS the canopy into the width of the bag. If he were to roll it (which, many/most skydivers do) you don't think the fabric inside the cocoon (like the end cells and whatnot) would 'slip' around more than if it was just folded right under?

Also, look at something that's rolled up, the outside diameter of it is larger than the ID of it. Wouldn't you feel safe to assume that rolling it would pull the outside fabric tighter than the inside fabric would be getting pulled, for the same rotation?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I don't actually roll the canopy when psycho-packing. I lift and fold it, while pulling slightly towards me (away from the container) to keep the lines stretched. Don't think it moves more or less than S-folds.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I don't actually roll the canopy when psycho-packing. I lift and fold it, while pulling slightly towards me (away from the container) to keep the lines stretched. Don't think it moves more or less than S-folds.

There was a post somewhere about this, the guys that came up with the idea of psychobagging didn't intend on people rolling the canopy, instead they intended on people folding it.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I lift and fold it, while pulling slightly towards me (away from the container) to keep the lines stretched. Don't think it moves more or less than S-folds.

YEAH! That's what I was trying out.
count quarter flake flake pull over roll
Flip,
Level out
Fold right corner to center, push air out.
Fold left corner to center , push air out.
Pull bridle to the side
PULL up and roll/fold keeping the material tight.
NOW I HAVE NOT TALKED TO MY RIGGER NOR JUMPED I JUST GAVE IT A SHOT TO SEE HOW IT WOULD WORK.
But funny thing, when I did this right away I noticed two things.
1) Material controll was so much easier. S folds you have material on material on material and well that stuff just wants OUT!
2) WOW you can really get the things really small.
AGAIN
NOW I HAVE NOT TALKED TO MY RIGGER NOR JUMPED I JUST GAVE IT A SHOT TO SEE HOW IT WOULD WORK.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Old thread, I know, but thought this would be better than starting a new one.

Bored at home and reading bits and pieces about psycho packing.

Noticed on the Icarus site they have a photo guide to psycho packing their canopies, but there are different ones for the EXT-FX/VX and the others.

So had a peek to see what the difference was.

I can follow everything on their regular canopy one - (http://www.icaruscanopies.aero/images/downloads/psychopack.pdf)

But I'm not sure what is going on in steps 3-6 of the EXT one - (http://www.icaruscanopies.aero/images/downloads/psychopackextreme.pdf)

Anyone more knowledgeable care to explain?
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

degeneration

But I'm not sure what is going on in steps 3-6 of the EXT one -
Anyone more knowledgeable care to explain?

I am not that knowledgeable, but is there a line-over prevention device getting hooked up? Step 5 seems to show a couple of loops on the steering lines, but I can't really see for sure, maybe someone with that canopy can chime in.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

airtwardo

Cheers, I'd seen them before but they don't really explain what is going on in the EXT pictorial from Icarus... it seems to have something different going on that I can't figure out from the pictures.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

degeneration

Cheers, I'd seen them before but they don't really explain what is going on in the EXT pictorial from Icarus... it seems to have something different going on that I can't figure out from the pictures.

I can't either...pics are too small...the vid pretty much covers the way I use to do it, now I do a pro/psycho hybrid. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

RyanFYF

Here's a Psycho Pack Job explained:

http://youtu.be/hGyvLfdTH1k

What the fuuuuuuuuck.

That is WILDLY different than the way I psycho pack my Fusion (which I have been doing for 8 years now).
cavete terrae.

airtwardo

What the crap, that's substantially different than mine, too.

I always knew I was "different" but jeez :D

degeneration

I can follow everything on their regular canopy one - (http://www.icaruscanopies.aero/images/downloads/psychopack.pdf)

That's essentially what I do with mine, the guide appears to be more or less the same as what Precision recommends for my canopy.

jumpwally

I'm curious how all this pro - psyco came to be,,,i watched many canopies flat packed in about a 1/3 rd of the time,,History anyone ?

I can't speak for the original history, but I can tell you my personal history with it:

My first rig was (and is) sized for a 190, even though my first canopy was a 210. I talked to Kelly at VSE before I ordered it, and he said "It'll be tight, but it'll work".

Well, that was true, in the same sense that "midnight on a new moon in the forest is dark" :P

Pack jobs were taking me as much as 45 minutes, with the slippery ass fabric jumping around and doing whatever it pleased during the process. I went to Eloy for the holiday boogie and had packers tell me never to bring my rig back to them, which says a lot.

If memory serves AggieDave and a few others took pity on me (I was but a lowly 45 jump wonder when I showed up at Eloy) and taught me the dark art of the psycho pack. It was still a damned tight fit, but it was workable and got me on more loads per day.

The next year when I downsized to a 190, I was so used to psycho packing that I continued to do it, even though I'm sure a standard pro pack would be just fine. But here's the funny thing: I can't honestly remember how to fold the canopy for a standard pro pack, because it's been that long :D

With mine I flip during the drop, "open" it to make sure it's symmetrical and the slider is all the way up, I don't roll the nose. Close it into the triangle, pull the "ears" in from the side to make it approx dbag-width, then I actually do more of "flip-folds" than "rolling" per se, it takes three of these to get the canopy ready to go into the dbag. I make sure my bridal attachment point is exposed to the side, recock my PC if necessary, and bag the bitch.

I do use a bridal extension between the dbag and the canopy though I'll be damned if I can tell you if it makes any difference on openings. Makes me feel a bit better about possibly burning up the topskin though.
cavete terrae.

airtwardo

I can't either...pics are too small...the vid pretty much covers the way I use to do it, now I do a pro/psycho hybrid. ;)

Well I emailed Icarus to find out what it is that is going on in the pictures in question. This is the email I got in reply!

Icarus

As you know, you may pack your canopy as you normally do with others models/branches.

In the picture, what I see is that elastics are being used in the attachments points and grap the control lines and if I tell you the truth, I don´t really know which is the reason for those because in our experience nowadays is that it doesn´t need them.

So it seems, even though they seem to know what is going on in the pictures, they say you don't have to bother doing it!

Change of approach here, I RTFM, but been told to ignore part of it!