jrjny

Pilot 168 vs Triathlon 190

Questions I can't seem to answer or find a thread concerning:

1) openings - pilot has a longer snivel or no? From what I gather they do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW6UrqxANds - that seemed pretty quick

2) packing - which will pack up smaller or EASIER, my understanding is they will be similar (not zpx for either)

3) toggle input - which is more responsive? I weight 180 btw (have a mirage g4 M5 so i can't go any smaller on sizing but I already have a 190 pilot which is a hassle to pack)

My goals are to improve my accuracy and have a good all around canopy for the next 2-500 jumps - easy to pack, safe, etc...Not looking for advice not to downsize etc...I understand the relevant risks -- if anyone has specific input around both these models that will help me decide thank you very much.

Jeff

My first two canopies I downsized from that size of Triathlon to that size of Pilot. The pilot is much more responsive.

That’s like comparing apples and oranges. You have to compare canopies of the same size to get accurate feedback.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

That’s like comparing apples and oranges. You have to compare canopies of the same size to get accurate feedback.

Isn't that exactly what the OP asked for? Pilot 168 vs Tri 190?

I don't have a lot of experience with either canopy, but both are easy to pack, both open nicely, that pilot will likely feel more responsive on toggles and have a higher forward speed as well. The pilot didn't give me as much lift in the second half of the flare as a Sabre2. Don't remember enough about the Triathlon landings to do any sort of comparison, but it is a fairly old 7-cell...

Anyway, I'd try the Pilot for a few jumps and go with that if it feels ok mainly because you will probably not get bored with it as quickly.

edit: just noticed you did that, sorry for spamming :)

My first two canopies I downsized from that size of Triathlon to that size of Pilot. The pilot is much more responsive.

Sparky

My statement is factually correct, the sizes cited are EXACTLY the same as my canopies. I'd have gone into more detail but he'd already chosen. I agree these canopies are really very different and pointed out I had downsized from one to the other, which is a reflection of the relative performance of each. It's a bit of a strange request.