4/ 80 gig 8mb cache hard drives fast as scsi sys

ROFLMAO;)

Thanks. I needed a laugh.

Oh, wait...you were serious?

Kris
"SCSI / Fibre Channel Mack Daddy"
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I built an athlon box (2200) with a nifty ati raedon 9700 pro, a gig of ram..., and a nifty optical mouse, it makes me happy no more cleaning the gunk out.... My rig still costs more then my comp and my car put together... so I'm not that geeky... right?

But now, let's get really geeky:

Who here has built their own single-board computer, wire-wrapped it on a breadboard, and written Assembler for it?

Does gate chasing CRC circuits with an oscope count? How many remember when binary subtraction wasn't done with one's complement and a negative number would ruin your day... but just by a little...

My PC is a dual Opteron 242, 2GB RAM, 60 GB IDE drive and 2x 250 GB SATA drives, Plextor 8x DVD+R burner, Geforce 4200 128 MB video.

Wife's is a dual AthlonMP 2000+, Matrox Millinemium video driving 2 monitors, Plextor 504 DVD+R Burner, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB IDE drive and 2x 80 GB IDE RAID drives.

Son has a Athlon 2100+, Geforce FX 5800, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB drive with a Lite0ON 52x CD-RW burner.

I built them all.

PhreePhly

Okay ivan, I be a geek like you

P4 3.2 ghz
Asus p4800c del. motherboard(all raid)
4 gig ram(mushkin liquid cooled)
nvidia asylum GeForce FX 256 mg agp video card
Sound Blaster Audigy2 Platinum sound card
2 SATA western digital hard drives(250 gig each)
Thermaltake AquariusII liquid cooling
Thermaltake XaserIII V1420 supertower
Thermaltake Purepower 420 watt power supply
Sony dvd+- dvd drives
Sony cd rom
7- Thermaltake TT8025a fans

Pretty much a hot rod I built for my personal use. Do little gaming and little bit of this and a little bit of that. Use windows XP PRO as my operating system. Of course it all hyper threading and all that good crap. A few photos belowB|
Kinda looks like a cluster because of all the cooling lines and stuff but you get the general idea

"when I die, I want to go like my grandfather while im sleeping, not like the passengers riding in the car with me
Swoopster
A.S.S. #6 Future T.S.S holder

My home PC is a

2.8 GHz P4 800 MHZ Bus speed.
Intel PBZ Canterwood MB.
2Gig PC 400 TwinX Corsair Ram.
120 GB ATA 133 System Drive.
40 GB ATA 133 Pagefile Drive.
2x120 SATA RAID 0 Video Drive.
ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128 MB Video.
SB Audigy2 sound card.

Thermal Take Xaser III Case Black.
NEC 19" Big Fat Monitor.

My PC is a dual Opteron 242, 2GB RAM, 60 GB IDE drive and 2x 250 GB SATA drives, Plextor 8x DVD+R burner, Geforce 4200 128 MB video.

Wife's is a dual AthlonMP 2000+, Matrox Millinemium video driving 2 monitors, Plextor 504 DVD+R Burner, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB IDE drive and 2x 80 GB IDE RAID drives.

Son has a Athlon 2100+, Geforce FX 5800, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB drive with a Lite0ON 52x CD-RW burner.

I built them all.

PhreePhly

Little more detail, now that I have time.

Just built the dual Opteron. It's 1.6 Ghz x 2. Using the MSI K8 Master2 motherboard. 2 GB RAM 333 Mhz DDR. I do video editing on the side, just for fun, but got roped into a huge project by my wife. She "volunteered" me to create a highlights video for my son's football team, and the DVD would be handed out at the awards ceremony. Well, there are 35 players and coaches, and they played 10 games this season, so this little job has turned into more than 100 hours of editing. As revenge, I told my wife that I needed "a bit more computing power" and needed to upgrade. I've been itching to play with the Opterons.

I've been playing with dual processing systems for a while now, and although I know that there is not much cost advantage to having them, the geek factor is just too much to pass up.B|

I also bought the Plextor 708A 8x DVD+R burner. It is dual format and will burn DVD-R at 4x, also. Nice burner.

If money were really no object, the disk subsystem would be all SCSI, but SCSI drives just cost too much, so I'll stick with SATA for now.

Wife does tons of graphic design with Photoshop and Illustrator, so the dual Athlons help out tremendously with her work. I set her up with dual monitors also (2x 19" CRTs), so she got a big desk, too.;) I'm looking to move to LCD monitors, but the colors seem somewhat off for the work she does, so she doesn't want to go there, yet.

I love being a geek. Now all I need to do is start jumping again and it will all be perfect. Anyone figure out how to get 72 hours in a day, yet?

PhreePhly

IBM wouldn't let them use their name so the went ONE STEP BACKWARDS in the alphabet, not forwards. If they went forward it would of been JCN. HAL was rerun just the other night, the voice still creeps me out..........

Always remember, when you get where you're going, there you are!

HAL --> for each letter go one step forwards in the alphabet --> IBM.

As you can see, I'm going forwards from HAL. Then you can go backwards from IBM if you like.:P

Thanks for trying to correct a perceived mistake I supposedly made 11 months ago, though. Where the hell did you dig up this thread??:D

motherboard - jetway p4xfb
-P4 1.7 GHz
-512 MB RAM
-nvidia geforce2 mx 100/200
-liteon 16x10x40x cd burner
-liteon 16x dvd drive
-laser 17` monitor
-hdd-1 seagate 40 GB (windows XP pro)
-hdd-2 seagate 40 GB (mandrake linux)
-creative fourpointsurround
and more

Kris,

I've seen some SATA drives that can easily hold their own against SCSI - and have a smaller CPU footprint. The only downside is that you can have one device per channel.

Same here - which one?

I do the most of my work these days from my Toshiba P4 1.6Ghz 256mb RAM over a Wireless G connection.

There are over 10 homebuilt computers in my house over two floors. Anything from an old 486 up to this P4 and AMD Barton based systems.