javiaven

Smallest pack volume reserve canopy?

Hi everyone. I'm trying to find which reserve canopy has the smallest pack volume, since I need to put one in a '08 Javelin not-that-big of a container that I'm about to buy second-hand. The current main fits perfectly (Sabre2 150), but the current reserve is a 129, and that is a bit too small for me.
If you guys could help me figure out what reserve canopy I should get, I'd be much obliged. And, for dealers reading this, I REALLY need real info, not a marketing campaign... (sorry about that!)

I would quess 'Optimum' from PD, or 'Speed 2000' from Paratec - both made from low bulk material.

that would be my guess too.. i ended up getting an optimum, but initially i wanted the speed 2000. couldnt find one for a reasonable price tough..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Hi everyone. I'm trying to find which reserve canopy has the smallest pack volume, since I need to put one in a '08 Javelin not-that-big of a container that I'm about to buy second-hand. The current main fits perfectly (Sabre2 150), but the current reserve is a 129, and that is a bit too small for me.
If you guys could help me figure out what reserve canopy I should get, I'd be much obliged. And, for dealers reading this, I REALLY need real info, not a marketing campaign... (sorry about that!)

The size reserve you need is not dependent on the container you have.

It depends on your weight, your skill, and your thoughts on how the system should perform when you are faced with less than optimal conditions.

It has been said before, and I will say it again, don't pick the rig first, and then look for a reserve.

Pick the reserve first, and then look for a rig.

It depends on your weight, your skill, and your thoughts on how the system should perform when you are faced with less than optimal conditions.

It has been said before, and I will say it again, don't pick the rig first, and then look for a reserve.

Yes, I know! That's why, since I am looking for a 150 sqf reserve, I'd like to know if I'd be able to fit it in there. Otherwise, I am not buying the rig. I'm just hoping it does, because it is a good deal. But yes, definitely, safety first!

Yes, I know! That's why, since I am looking for a 150 sqf reserve, I'd like to know if I'd be able to fit it in there. Otherwise, I am not buying the rig. I'm just hoping it does, because it is a good deal. But yes, definitely, safety first!

Okay then. Sorry to have jumped on you.

But you did not ask, "Will a 150 fit in this container?"

You said you were about to buy a container, and had to put a reserve in it.

If you want to know what will fit in the container, you'll at least need to tell us what the container is.

Finally, is the 150 reserve the right size for you? Or is it the smallest you are willing to risk?

If it is the right size, great.

If it is the smallest you are willing to risk, what would be the BEST size for you in the first place?

My bad! Yes, the container is an Odyssey Jk1, with only 80 jumps (the owner needs the money...). It currently holds a main Sabre2 150', and a 139' reserve (not sure which one).
I've been flying Sabre, Safire and Spectra 150s now for over 40 jumps, and I'm quite happy with how I handle them.
The issue with the reserve is that I'm looking for something about the size of the main, but, since there's never too much safety on a cutaway event, I was wondering if there's anything I could get in there even bigger. I'm not into buying a tiny rig just "because it looks cool". So thank you all for your input, I'm open to anything and anyone I can learn from!

My bad! Yes, the container is an Odyssey Jk1, with only 80 jumps (the owner needs the money...). It currently holds a main Sabre2 150', and a 139' reserve (not sure which one).
I've been flying Sabre, Safire and Spectra 150s now for over 40 jumps, and I'm quite happy with how I handle them.
The issue with the reserve is that I'm looking for something about the size of the main, but, since there's never too much safety on a cutaway event, I was wondering if there's anything I could get in there even bigger. I'm not into buying a tiny rig just "because it looks cool". So thank you all for your input, I'm open to anything and anyone I can learn from!

The Sunpath website has a sizing chart. Here is a link to it - http://sunpath.com/web_en/index.php?menu_level1=3&menu_level2=5

It says that the J1K containers (J1KS, J1KL) will fit a 143 - 150 reserve.

The whole issue of whether your reserve should be bigger than your main might affect your decision that a 150 is really right for you. Reserves are not mains.

Whatever you do, make your choice carefully. If you MUST buy the container right now, and if you think that you MIGHT reconsider your reserve size, you can always sell the rig for what you paid, and then apply the money to a different rig.

I've heard that either the techno or tempo reserve (pretty sure it's the techno) is lower pack volume than the optimum. I'm not 100% on that though but it might be worth looking into

I had a Techno 155 in a Javelin J1 and it fitted just about right.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Yes, the container is an Odyssey Jk1,

Speed 2000 170 will fit.

If you are from Spain, go for the Speed. Better price and faster delivery.
But the best think to do before spend any money is to talk with your rigger.

Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen