jenette

Cookie G2 vs Bonehead REvovle.. who wil K.O?

So, it's full face helmet time, I wanna move away from my Gath since I do RW stuffs. I wear a Motorcycle helmet while riding, so I don't think a full face will bother me in freefall. I thought I was decided on a Cookie G2. I jump in a hot place that in winter never drops below 39.5F (4C) and 5F at height. Summer average 86F to 95F.

So temp is an important factor. I hear G2 has great ventilation and REvovle not so much. But important is vision, comfort and safety.

Just seen all the awesome reviews for the REvovle and it looks bloody fantastic. I live in the most isolated city in the world and trying these 2 helmets isn't possible.. So has anyone tried both and can give me they opinion on which they liked. Taking into account what I mentioned previously.

Thanks for your help guys!!

Nettybee
www.exoticbodypiercing.com.au

It would probably help in your decision if you ask yourself if you want one helmet or two. With the Revolve you basically get 2 helmets for the price of one, a full face and an open face. With the G2, you have your standard full face helmet with a lifting face shield.

As far as size goes, they are relatively the same size. I am assuming the poster who made the comment about the Revolve size was thinking of a Havoc. The revolve is no bigger than your average open face helmet when the shield is removed and it is no larger than your average full face with the shield in place. I'd actually go so far as to say it's probably a tad bit smaller and not as bulbous as most full face helmets.

Based on your weather temperatures, I'd think having the option to add or remove the full face based on your comfort level would be the best of both worlds.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have tried most of the full face helmets on the market and like the revolve the most. The G2 is a great helmet too. I like how the whole lens/frame of the revolve moves out of your face when up. It's easy to talk to other jumpers before exit and when you pull the frame/lens down the locking mechanism is bullet proof. Visablity is great and it is really a quiet helmet. Plus, like was already stated it is 2 helmets in 1. Either way G2 or revolve you can't go wrong. Just my 2 cents.
Base# 1638

I use a Z1 all-year-round and my next helmet will be another Z1...

but between the Revolve and G2... I would go with the Revolve. I have tried the G2 on a couple of times and didn't find it that comfortable, especially compared to the Z1. I also think the Revolve looks nicer and less bulbous than the G2. A buddy of mine just got a G2 and can't even jump it here in CO when its colder because it fogs up too much and he can't see through the visor, I have no problem with my Z1. The vents at the mouth of the G2 look cool but don't seem to be all that great.

Like I said I prefer the Z1 over all of them, but I'd probably go with Revolve over the G2. Also not sure if you can open the REvolve with one hand but that is one of the things I like best about the Z1, I know the G2 requires both hands.

Ultimately I think they're both pretty nice helmets.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

I call that pure Hype, all the top flyers are wearing G2s because they are sponsored to do so. If some company pays top teams a lot of money, they will probally fly with a watermelon helmet and everyone will start to use one and will say the watermelon helmet is the greatest helmet ever build.
The factory diver is awesome, why ditch something that works great? :S
Did not like the original G1, but the G2 seems really cool.
Between the Revolver and the G2, go with the G2.

I've only seen the revolve in pictures. I've not ever tried one on, but what I have seen didn't impress me. Still, I haven't seen it in person, so take that for what it's worth.

I have seen and tried on the Cookie G2, but not jumped it, but I think it's the best designed full-face helmet on the market at the moment. My friend who owned it absolutely loved it. The only drawback is the rather high price.

Another option you may not have considered is the new Phantom X helmet from Square 1. I've seen and tried on one of the later prototypes, which should be almost identical to the production version. I've not actually jumped one, however, the people I know who were jumping them seemed very happy with them. It's very similar to the G2 in most practical respects. Both have a quick release mechanism for the visor. Both have a 2mm polycarbonate lens. Both have a very wide field of vision. Both are very comfortable to wear. I think that the quick-release mechanism on the G2 looks a little more rugged, but that is based on cursory observations, only and the fact that the internal mechanisms on the Phantom X are more visible. It's quite possible that under the covers, the G2 has similarly small components responsible for securing the visor in place. When asked about possible wear on the moving parts in the quick release mechanism on the Phantom X, Tony's comment was that the quick release assembly is an easily replaceable part, but they haven't noticed any wear patterns of concern so far, so it's probably plenty rugged enough for everyday skydiving and tunnel use.

The biggest advantage that the Phantom X has over the G2 is the price. If money was no option, I'd be buying a G2, but in the real world, most of us have limited financial resources. In such a world, the Phantom X does provide a fairly compelling alternative to the G2.

For the record, I currently jump an Oxygn. While there's nothing especially wrong with the Oxygn, if either the G2 or the Phantom X had been around when I made my purchase, I strongly doubt that I would currently own an Oxygn.

Also not sure if you can open the REvolve with one hand but that is one of the things I like best about the Z1, I know the G2 requires both hands.

The Revolve can be opened with one hand no problem, even with gloves on.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Can't comment on the Revolve but here are my thoughts on the G2.

I have mine since January and have put 145 jumps and 4 hours tunnel time on it.

It is so comfortable it is like it is not there, I recently did 16 jumps in a day and spent most of the time with the helmet on all the time during the ride to altitude, landed, swapped rigs went jumping again.

The visibility is awesome you can see everything handles, peripheral all good. My instructor in the tunnel likes it so much he's going to buy one for himself moving away from his Factory Diver.

You can fit 2 audibles in it, it does not fog up, is comfortable and has great air flow. Comfortable whether flat, sit or head-down.

I like mine.

Cheers,

Coops.

If some company pays top teams a lot of money, they will probally fly with a watermelon helmet and everyone will start to use one and will say the watermelon helmet is the greatest helmet ever build.
The factory diver is awesome, why ditch something that works great?

I was under the impression that Airspeed, at least, moved from Factory Divers to GASes after a couple of face impacts led them to seek something sturdier visor construction.

Is this not the case?

Also: the Factory Diver's velcro fastener is pants :P
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Wow, it really is a mix field. I appreciate the comments and am very happy we've all being very behaved ;)

But I'm still very undecided. I love my gath, but it's not exactly going to save my noggin'. The two helmets in one of the revolve is very attractive, plus the side contour camera mount is a plus. But i'd love to know if it's got the ventilation to not cook in it. I believe the g2 has great ventilation.

It's such a hard choice, since nothing in our sport is cheap except for stows and free beers from passing students. And it is hard to know if a sponsored jumper is being sincere or just selling. Plus the standard show pony peer pressure you get from peeps at your home dz. That lead to having a vector on my back, when I was looking at icon and jav's.

It would be so awesome if company's that make the toys we love could send demos to try when there ain't dealers that carry everything you want. But that would be very expensive.

*sigh* to co[/url]okie or not to cookie? That is the question? Wheth[/email]er it is nobler is mind to bone head thy noggin' :S

You ever notice how ski boots or rollerblades seem to be built that only one or two brands actually fit the shape of your feet? And that how one brand is the BEST for your friend, but just uncomfortable for you?

Some of these helmets are the same way.

The ONLY way to really decide is to try them on directly. Borrow, demo, or find a good skydiving equipment shop that has multiple brands in inventory and put them on your head. And that includes the right padding for correct fitting etc.....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

So, it's full face helmet time, I wanna move away from my Gath since I do RW stuffs. I wear a Motorcycle helmet while riding, so I don't think a full face will bother me in freefall. I thought I was decided on a Cookie G2. I jump in a hot place that in winter never drops below 39.5F (4C) and 5F at height. Summer average 86F to 95F.

So temp is an important factor. I hear G2 has great ventilation and REvovle not so much. But important is vision, comfort and safety.

Just seen all the awesome reviews for the REvovle and it looks bloody fantastic. I live in the most isolated city in the world and trying these 2 helmets isn't possible.. So has anyone tried both and can give me they opinion on which they liked. Taking into account what I mentioned previously.

Thanks for your help guys!!

Nettybee

I realize that you are considering only these two helmets, but I thought I'd throw in another one in case you need more options. Square 1's Phantom full face helmet, which is made to compete with the G2 in terms of function and design. A lot more affordable and very well constructed. I actually spoke to a guy who assembles the helmet yesterday and showed me the different features of the helmet. Really sturdy visor, does not fog, good ventilation, visor is easy to swap out and snap locking mechanism [i.e. no more velcro!] If you want some justification for how good it is, it is the official helmet for the 500-way world record to be held in Dubai.

http://www.square1.com/manufacturers/square1/p520.asp#PhantomX

But I'm still very undecided. I love my gath, but it's not exactly going to save my noggin'. The two helmets in one of the revolve is very attractive, plus the side contour camera mount is a plus. But i'd love to know if it's got the ventilation to not cook in it. I believe the g2 has great ventilation.

Ventilation is not an issue, in fact the initial ventilation on my prototype model was too much so they made some changes. Now, the only way you will have issues is if you are a prolific mouth breather and or are hyperventilating. Being able to completely lift the entire face shield up gives you the same ventilation of an open face. I've even intentionally jumped it with the face shield in the up position and it stays in place. So if you forget to close it before exit all you have to do is pull it down with one hand and it locks in place. I've got a little over 100 hours of use on the Revolve in the wind tunnel during both hot and cold days to include actual skydives and I've yet to have any significant ventilation issues.
I also like the fact that I can lift the face shield completely up and talk to people without having to take my helmet off be it in the aircraft or while waiting in the tunnel anti chamber.

Something to also consider , as both of your choices are great helmets, is which one is more economical for you due to your location? If it costs just as much to get a Revolve to you there as it does to buy a G2 thats made there in your country it may be a moot point but it is something to consider.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

That phantom doesn't look too bad, a bit motocross for me but not bad...

I just can't see paying $500 on a helmet (G2, with shipping etc..) when it's all said and done. B|

Would be nice if the OP could demo or at least try some of these helmets on. I got my Z1 on eBay, it was like new and I payed $130. I'm sure one could find similar here in the classifieds for under or around $200.

*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

I just can't see paying $500 on a helmet (G2, with shipping etc..) when it's all said and done. B|

The REvolve is the same price as the Mamba, $315, and they have a couple of discount options right now.
Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding.

I love my revolve, and Bonehead went far above and beyond to get it to me in time for me to jump it before the end of last season.

My vote goes for the Revolve. Very comfortable, very easy to close the visor, and you can open it with one hand even with gloves on with a little practice.

If you want some justification for how good it is, it is the official helmet for the 500-way world record to be held in Dubai.

While it is a very well designed helmet, I think it being the "official helmet for Dubai 500" has more to do with the fact that Tony Domenico is one of the organizers of the Dubai 500 event, an owner of Square 1 (who makes them), and the primary designer of the helmet and visor mechanisms.

*** If it costs just as much to get a Revolve to you there as it does to buy a G2 thats made there in your country it may be a moot point but it is something to consider.

You'll love this.. It cost more to buy a Cookie in Aus than in the States when Cookies are made here!!! Figure that one out.

You ever notice how ski boots or rollerblades seem to be built that only one or two brands actually fit the shape of your feet? And that how one brand is the BEST for your friend, but just uncomfortable for you?

Some of these helmets are the same way.

The ONLY way to really decide is to try them on directly.

This seemed to get lost in the 'buy X!' 'I love my Y!' noise, so it's worth repeating.

I get great fit out of Cookie helmets, OK from Bonehead, and can't find a SkySystems full-face that will fit me at all. Other people are the other way round - would suck to drop a few hundred bucks on my advice and find out the hard way that you're one of them!

Demo demo demo.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

This seemed to get lost in the 'buy X!' 'I love my Y!' noise, so it's worth repeating..

It's normal on DZ.com

"Post your favorite (advertise shamelessly here)" threads

"Whatever thing I own is the best, therefore everything else must suck" posts\

and my favorite of all "Does anyone know where I can find (some brand of some thing) - these are REALLY great and I want one and you should too" threads (usually posted by some startup)

and such

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants