Surf

Sweet Jesus! what is wrong with us?

So I jump into the world's most-hated-thread-that-will-not-die (General-"would this piss you off?") hoping to get some info on canopy control.

instead I touch off a flame war :S

No prob. so I abstract the situation into the "hypothetical but common situation thread" in the Safety and Training forum, hoping to keep it impersonal.

Everything starts out fine and then my thread gets hijacked into bickering. GAAH!>:(>:(>:(

What the hell is wrong with skydivers (myself included) that we can't exchange simple information without insulting someone?

Reminds me of the old "Hey, Asshole?" "WHAT!" greeting...

Please, don't post angry.

"Nothing is written"- T.E. Lawrence

Nature of the beast.

If you were to post something to the effect of, "Isn't it a wonderful day" given a long lived enough thread somebody is going to call you an asshat.

Deal with it and move on.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Shake it off. It happens. Post in the info sharing threads with thin skin and you'll get your feelins hurt (not you specifically). Anything ya do or say will have someone disagreeing with you so expect it, respect it, move out and draw fire. Good to see you're gettin back into the sport.
Hearts & Minds
2 to the Heart-
1 to the Mind-
Home of the Coconut Lounge, Spa, & Artillery Range

These people wouldn't dare spout in real life like they do here.

You obviously don't know me. I'm the same here, as I am every where else, except here I'm a slim good looking country boy, in real life I'm a redneck weightlifter with a beer gut.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You're just trying to side step the fact that you've been stalking me.

After I keep telling you that you should really stalk a hot skychick and that you're not my type, you keep following and following...

:P:P:P

People are fearless on the computer. I have yet have anyone walk up to me in real life and say the things people say online. Pretty interesting.

I agree with you, actually. Basically, I've been on the 'net long enough that I got over that bullshit a long time ago.

*shrug*

Its not like it really matters, though.

Disclaimer: Haven't read all the story behind the initiation of this post, so it has nothing to do with those involved.

Yes, many people have the comfort zone of being able to say many things on the posts that they would never say to someones face. Very simmilar to gossip/talking about people behind their back, but in a group which they know will get the message back to them. Avoid the direct confrontation and say what they really mean to say with the option to soften it up later face to face (it got blown out of proportion / wasn't what I meant) or let it stand without having to repeat it (you know what I said). Sometimes it's a good thing as the information needs to be put out for safety and sometimes it's bad because it can be a very impersonal way to strike out at someone. Shame that not everyone can be civil all the time.
Hearts & Minds
2 to the Heart-
1 to the Mind-
Home of the Coconut Lounge, Spa, & Artillery Range

Lol, Captainpooby. Welcome back. It's been 14 days already? Oh well...I am off to work. Doing more night-time scenarios tonight. Oh biy...let the boredom begin.

(newbie break on the time out, no more slack)

Note to all:

If you come home Sat. nite all poo faced and your computer is on just shut it off. Dont post on web forums.

Just remember this. Just because the bickermasters get the last word in does'nt make them right :P

Some of them are definately fucktards but you can't call them that. You may be able to say something like, "What you are saying makes you sound like a fucktard" , which is in fact not calling the bickermasters any thing at all just pointing out what they are saying makes them appear fucktarded, which also is possibly not nice either... Hmmm...
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

100th Monkey Phenomenon.

Not that it really exists as originally stated as a "mind to mind" transfer of knowledge, but to some extent via wide usage terms just become "common knowledge".

Like alien abductions and Richard Simmons? B|
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

I've been thinking about the origins of the abuse I see here (not just in my post, in the ones I've been lurking as well) and I have an idea

Many of us think of ourselves as safe and conservative skydivers. A a person progresses in jumps that gets reinforced. Anyone who questions that we see as a personal attack. the degree of attack is proportional to the jump number.

It's not an attack, it's an assist. The only way to stay safe is to continually use our brains, and this means asking and answering questions. No one should be complacent. Skydiving is unforgiving.

Maybe this is too philosophical but if you think your a safe skydiver, think again.

But then I'm just a Lowbie, and a safe lowbie at that, so keep that in mind.

"Nothing is written"- T.E. Lawrence

Yes, many people have the comfort zone of being able to say many things on the posts that they would never say to someones face.

Tom....I think you would agree I am the same in real life as here.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334