councilman24

Lap Rating Lives!

SEAL SYMBOL MDW.

Ahh, I have a temp pin of yours that I found last week.

Just kiddin :P

So any word on the fight to get to be able to test on the lap rating yet?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

SEAL SYMBOL MDW.

Ahh, I have a temp pin of yours that I found last week.

Just kiddin :P

So any word on the fight to get to be able to test on the lap rating yet?

Asciutto rigging rule #46…..NEVER write your name on your tools.;)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Just an update ...
I have built a new lap-type container, with three up-dates.
The first up-date is to re-route the leg straps so that the B-12 snaps hang outboard. This eliminates one problem with donning the rig, however, if you have a skinny arse - like me - you might sit on the hardware, unless the laterals/horizontal back straps ride high. My second prototype may just include friction adapters ... to reduce the "height" of the hip joint.

My second up-date is to sew on riser covers. Velcro-closed riser covers are sewn onto an "apron" that comes straight up from the pack tray. The primary motivation was to eliminate hand-tacking. If any of you attended my first demonstration (PIA 2011) you will understand why.
Riser covers also allowed me to separate the main lift webs from the risers.

The third up-date is a pin cover that tucks into a pocket (to reduce snag risks) and a magnet to hold it closed. I freely admit that the magnet is more "cosmetic", than Velcro. Velcro would also work fine for the life (20 years, 20 re-packs and zero jumps) of a pilot emergency parachute.

My next challenge is design a tie-down strap. My first thought is to route it from the rear corner of the container to the hip joint???

Those guys in canNuck land don't know what a digital camera is....... hell most of um who have phones are still using the crank kind!:P:D

Hah!
Hah!
Right!
And when I crank my cell phone, the pictures turn out all fuzzy!
... then again, my last few photos were of my cat???

Hah!
Hah!

What exactly defines it as a Lap Rig? Is there some where a definition of the diffrent ratings based on the orentation of the container during the pack job?

Also it may turn out to be more then just a curiosity. I had a guy that was trying to get me to set him up a harness and chest rig for his powered parachute (trike). None of the back or seat parachutes were very comfortable in the seat. A lot of kit planes are real tight in the cocpit. Many people just can't wear a parachute in one.

Lee

Which airplane cockpits are compatible with lap-type parachutes?
Short answer: airplanes that are not compatible with back, seat or chest-type pilot emergency parachutes.

The other factor - determining compatibility - is the location of the control stick. Lap-type PEPs are only compatible with airplanes that have side-mounted control sticks.
The first production airplane with a side-stick is the F-16 fighter plane.
The first homebuilt - with a side-stick - was Burt Rutan's Veri-Eze, closely followed by Rutan's Long-Eze, which was built in far greater numbers.
Both the Vari-Eze and the Long-Eze have tandem seating (one pilot behind the other pilot), so the side-stick is on the right side of the cockpit.

However there is a whole crop of two-seater kitplanes (with side-by-side seating) that have only a single control stick on the center-line of the airplane: Bush Caddy, Jabiru, most of the Zeniths and optional on Sonex. That single control stick frees up the pilot's lap for a lap-type parachute.

I can see test-pilots wearing a lap-type PEP while exploring the edges of the envelope of a new design.
However, I doubt if most pilots will want to wear a lap-type PEP for more than the first few test flights of a recently-completed kitplane. Once they are satisfied that the airplane will hold together, they will probably dispense with the the PEP. After that, the only reason to wear a lap-type PEP is when flying in formation with other airplanes (a FAR).

Where should the ripcord handle be on lap-type PEP?

I sewed a ripcord pocket ot the left side flap - of the first lap-type PEP that I built, but am not totally happy with the configuration.

A (non-skydiver) pilot friend suggested mounting the ripcord on the left side of the chest (as seen on the next thousand PEPs), but I am reluctant to go through the hassle of installing a ripcord housing, etc. I also worry that a ripcord housing would interfer with the seat-belt, especially when doing outside loops (negative Gs).

I decided against an (upward) center-pull because the container might flop up against the wearer's chest, hiding the handle.

I also contemplated a (dow-ward) center-pull, but worry that it might interfer with control knobs along the bottom edge of the instrument panel. There also might be problems if the pilot is "too well nourished" ... politically-incorrect .. meaning "beer gut."

I also struggled to decide between a left or right-handed side-pull. That could be problematic if the pilot routinely switched seats in a Jabiru or Zenith (only one joy-stick in the center of the cockpit).

I suggested a center pull for the one I have but the manufacturer wanted a side pull. It's his TSO.;)

The Irvin lap that I now have a photo of is center pull. Lower right in attached photo. I don't think you have to worry about flopping up too high to pull. The hold down straps keep it in place and it's lower than a chest so you have more room.

If you want a side pull container and want it versatile put a pocket on both sides so that it can be switched.

Down pull is too far away once you exit the aircraft.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE