riggerrob

Asssiting Pilots in selecting emergency parachutes

When pilots ask for help in selecting emergency parachutes, the first question you should ask them is: WHY DO YOU WANT AN EMERGENCY PARACHUTE?

American Federal Air Regulations require aircrew to wear parachutes while participating in aerobatics, formation flying, testing flying or dropping parachutes.

Most AEROBATC pilots wear parachutes because of the risk of losing control or losing airplane parts. For example, the author "saved" a pair of Sukhoi pilots after a bolt fell out of an elevator control rod while they were practicing aerobatics over Colorado. Since they could not flare the airplane for landing, they elected to "bail out" and open their emergency parachutes.

The risk of losing airframe parts also motivates many pilots of antique airplanes to wear parachutes. When you consider that many military surplus pilots of "warbirds" are flying airplanes older than their grandfathers, after their grandfathers abused those airplanes in wartime, while trying to avoid enemy bullets. After those warbirds were too worn out for military pilots, they were surplussed to civilian collectors, who lovingly restored them. Since the quality of restorations varies, pilots never know if corrosion, or metal fatigue or loose bolts or gouged bearings or cracked exhaust manifolds, or oil leaks will "down" their old airplanes.

Since FORMATION flying vastly increases the risk of mid-air collisions, most warbird pilots flying in formation also wear parachutes. That is the same reason competitive glider pilots wear parachutes. With several gliders circling in the same thermal (column of rising warm air) it is easy to lose track of other gliders and lose glider parts. Since the strongest thermals are found under thunderstorms, gliders risk getting sucked up into thunderstorms. Thunderstorms are notorious for their viscious updrafts and down drafts, that are strong enough to dismantle even the toughest of fighter planes!

Since TEST FLYING new designs involves dozens of unknow variables, professional test pilots usually wear parachutes, especially when they test "the edges of the envelope," often deliberately flying over-weight airplanes, unbalanced airplanes or flying too fast.
All airplanes must be test flown after they are built or after major maintenance. Pilots test-flying new kitplanes often present the greatest challenges to parachute dealers, because they often ask to cram parachutes into seats that were never designed to accommodate parachutes. Furthermore, most kitplane test pilots are not willing to make a long-term investment in a parachute because they only intend on wearing it for the first half-dozen flights. Once they are satisfied that everything is bolted/welded/glued/riveted on securely, they discard the parachute.

Many jump pilots also wear parachutes because of the risk of skydivers doing something stupid enough to deploy a parachute in the doorway, entangle with the tail and rip the empennage off the airplane! To that end, Supplementary Type Certificates for many of the in-flight doors installed on Cessna jump planes require pilots to wear emergency parachutes every time they drop parachutes. OTOH emergency parachutes are rarely worn by pilots of larger, twin-engined jump planes because they are too far from the door to bail-out in time.

Cirrus

Vne 200 knots.

3400 pounds

The second question you should ask pilot customers is: "HOW FAST IS YOUR AIRPLANE?"
If their airplane was a "velocity never exceed" (Vne) or less than 200 knots, they should seriously consider installing a Ballistic Recovery System.

The third question is: "HOW HEAVY IS YOUR AIRPLANE?"
If their airplane's gross weight is less than 3400 pounds, they should seriously consider installing a Ballistic Recovery System.

Two hundred knots and 3400 pounds are the current limits of the BRS installed in the four-seater, Cirrus production plane. BRS were developed from the "save the entire airplane" systems initially developed for hang-gliders. Over the years BRS Inc. has certified parachutes to save entire Cessna 150s, Cessna 172 and even 200 knot Cirrus. BRS are standard equipment on dozens of different Light Sport Aircraft and optional on many gliders.

The primary advantage of BRS is that they simplify the decision-making process for a pilot in distress. He no longer has to remember bail-out drills (maybe) last practiced years ago: how to jettison doors, release seat belts, clamber out of a tumbling airplane, fall clear of the spinning wreckage, find a ripcord handle, pull the ripcord handle, etc.
Instead, the owner of a BRS never has to leave his warm, comfortable, familiar cockpit.
All he/she has to do is reach up and pull a ripcord (usually) on the ceiling. Then the BRS deploys, gently lowering the entire airplane to safety. The airframe also protects passengers from impact with landing hazards like trees, steep slopes, barbed wire fences, etc.
Simplifying/shortening the decision-making process will probably double the survival rate. Take the conclusion of a United States Air Force study - done back in the 1970s - that concluded that ejection survival rates would have doubled if only pilots had decided two seconds earlier to pull the ejection handle.

Fast forward to 2010, we have the example of a pilot doing aerobatics over an Argentinian airshow. He folded a wing at less than 500 feet, deployed his BRS and survived.

While BRS may weight slightly more than personnel parachutes (say 40 pounds for an entire system) their primary disadvantage is that they are semi-permanent equipment. BRS must be installed early in the construction process, because they require wrapping a strap around a major structural component (e.g. wing spar).
BRS are also considerably more expensive than personnel parachutes, in the $40,000 range.

Nice write-up, Rob. Very good information - all in one place!

I rig for two soaring clubs and while it seems I often have a question coming at me about one matter or another, I have found the most common question to be, "How do I operate the parachute?"

To some this means, "How do I exit the glider with a PEP on?". To some it means, "How do I open the parachute?" and to others it means, "How do I fly and land the parachute?"

But nobody seems to question why wear a parachute. It's just part of the program; glider pilots wear parachutes. I'll think of this post if and when the Why? question arises.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

When my wife was flying aerobatic competitions and airshows I went through a little presentation with her because of some things I'd observed going on...through my skydivers eyes.

She liked it so much and believed in the benefit of the briefing that I was asked to give it a few times prior to some IAC competitions and airshows we performed in together.

Basically...I began with general information regarding the parachute, it's construction and performance parameters.

Then transitioned into the care and feeding... most sport skydivers would be in shock at the number of PEP's left exposed to the sun while resting on a cockpit seat, and the disregard of exposure to chemical elements when stored in a hangar.
Can't tell ya how many pilots have asked me to pencil their packs because proper maintenance is a low priority, probably due to a lack of understanding.

Being an airshow performer myself, I see scary things regarding procedures...and having lost two close friends because of improper use of PEP's, I stress the following constantly to my 'flying' friends:

You perform what you practice~ especially under stress.

99% of the PEP wearing pilots have a really bad habit of undoing the parachute along with the 5 point, and just leaving it on the seat as they exit the aircraft.
It's easier, faster, more convenient...It's also been done at altitude during an emergency.

During one talk I gave I had a pilot say..."Do you have any idea how hard it is to get out of a Pitts wearing one of those?"
Really hard I'd imagine, no doubt MUCH harder at altitude in a spin...especially if you have NEVER done it on the ground, and had an idea where & how it might hang up! :S

A lot what many of PEP users know about parachutes... they saw in Point Break. :ph34r:
I would instead demonstrate a basic feet & knees together, bend forward at the waist, locate & grasp the handle with both hands and punch out...followed with a brief description and demonstration of a PLF.

It was a quick and informative presentation that probably if nothing else gave some people food for thought.

I would also add that they might want to look into making a tandem jump with the focus of experiencing a little 'wingless' wind on 'em and pulling a ripcord.

I actually took a few on tandems...these guys tend to freak out when they get 'outside'.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi Jim,

Over the years I have given 'the talk' to numerous groups of pilots; it is always entertaining to get the questions they ask. I have to hold back the laughs because I know they do not know.

Here is what I put in my PEP manuals and I do know that it could include even more information:

Parachute System Operation

There are no absolute rules (nor can there be any) for jumping clear of a disabled aircraft. The one known rule is:

BE COMPLETELY CLEAR OF THE AIRCRAFT PRIOR TO PULLING THE RIPCORD

Practice climbing out of your aircraft with your parachute on and while the aircraft is on the ground. Find the obstacles, obstructions and other items that may hinder or snag you or your parachute. Remember: Avoid them when an actual bailout emergency occurs.

A normal exit sequence will be something like this:

Release your safety belt and shoulder harness.

Disconnect or remove and discard any headsets, microphones, oxygen masks, etc.

Look to your left body panel and locate your parachute ripcord. You should have
become familiar with its location during your Pre-Flight Inspection.

Jump clear of the aircraft.

Pull the ripcord. Having cleared the aircraft, immediately grasp the ripcord handle with your right hand and left thumb. Use a hard, quick pull clearing the ripcord from its stowage pocket and continue pulling to full arm extension. If parachute activation does not occur on the first effort, back it up and hit it again. The pilot chute will be launched which will deploy the canopy. About 1 1/2 seconds after pilot chute launch, the canopy will be fully inflated. You are now descending under your parachute.

NOTE

It is strongly recommended that you throw the ripcord away after you have pulled it. You must remember that you are taking a life-saving action and the ripcord could possibly cause a problem during the descent phase. It is of a minimal cost to replace.

Steering the canopy
(If your system has a steerable canopy)

It is recommended that you steer the canopy by pulling down on the rear risers only. While your canopy may have steering handles installed, their use is usually too much for the inexperienced user to consider at the time of an emergency jump from an aircraft. Pulling down on the right rear riser will cause the canopy to turn to the right. And pulling down on the left rear riser will cause the canopy to turn to the left. Holding a riser down will result in your turning in circles. You should steer the canopy into the direction that you want to go.

Landing your parachute

In preparation for landing, just like landing an aircraft you should face into the wind if possible. This will reduce any forward airspeed that your canopy may have. Put your feet together and slightly flex your knees; do not have your legs locked straight. Land on the balls of both feet, relax and let the parachute pull you to the ground. Try to roll with the landing to dissipate the landing force. As soon as possible, remove your parachute harness.

High Wind Landing

It is even more critical that you land facing into the wind to reduce any ground speed. Continue with the landing sequence as described above. After landing, if you are able to stand up, run around the downwind side of the canopy, this will deflate it. If you are unable to stand and are being dragged by the parachute, you should first roll over onto your back so that the container will act as a protection for your body. After rolling over, reach up and grab ONE and only one suspension line and pull it towards you until you have deflated the canopy. Do not let go of the canopy until you have removed the harness and can no longer be dragged by the parachute.

Water Landing

Since it is not possible in an emergency jump to pre-determine your landing area, it is always possible that you could land in a body of water. After landing, disconnect the chest strap and both leg straps and slip out and away from the entire parachute system. Swim away from the parachute system.

It is not recommended that of you make any attempt to save the parachute system at this time. Your primary concern should and must be to save your life only. If the situation warrants, the parachute system can be salvaged at a later time.

If you ever get the chance to listen to Allen Silver's briefing for pilots, go to it; he does a very good job of trying to inform them.

JerryBaumchen

having lost two close friends because of improper use of PEP's

May I ask the situations?

I had met Mr. Frasca before he bailed without his rig fully done up. And I know of the guy who was stuck with being very fast and perhaps low when getting out of his out of control Sukhoi, and blew up his Phantom canopy. But any other caveats are welcome.

American Federal Air Regulations require aircrew to wear parachutes while participating in aerobatics, formation flying, testing flying or dropping parachutes.

Out of curiosity, what FAR's require pilots to wear parachutes while formation flying, flight testing, or dropping parachutes? As a pilot, I'm only aware of 91.307 which only requires all occupants to wear parachutes when carrying non-required crew members if the pitch or bank angles exceed 30 or 60 degrees, respectively.
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.

having lost two close friends because of improper use of PEP's

May I ask the situations?

I had met Mr. Frasca before he bailed without his rig fully done up. And I know of the guy who was stuck with being very fast and perhaps low when getting out of his out of control Sukhoi, and blew up his Phantom canopy. But any other caveats are welcome.

Joe Frasca and Rick Massagee were both friends, there was also another (name withheld) who's legstraps were at full extension, landed with a broken neck possibly caused by the chest-strap.

"... what FAR's require pilots to wear parachutes while ... dropping parachutes? ..."

Several Supplementary Type Certificates - for jump-door modifications to single-engined Cessnas -require the pilot to wear a PEP any time he plans to open the door in-flight.
That STC is added to the pilot's manual.

The next question is: "ROUND or SQUARE canopy?"

Conventional logic believes that pilots are only bright enough to steer round parachutes. But remember that logic was written seventy years ago, back when many warbird pilots decided that the best engines were round, radials, the best wheels were round tail wheels, under the tail of the airplane, the best instruments were round "steam guages," and the best parachutes were round. Do not waste any time trying to tell them otherwise.
Besides, old pilots will just balk at the extra $300 to $550 required to buy a square canopy.
Any money saved - while buying a round parachute - will be quickly spent during the ambulance ride, because many of them believe that the best possible out-come of bailing out concludes with them hanging from a tree with a broken ankle.

Fast forward to the late 1980s, when USPA and CSPA banned anything except large, docile square canopies for students. So if any pilot - less than 40 years old has watched skydivers, chances are he has only ever seen square canopies. If that - relatively - young pilot got curious enough to do a tandem or AFF, there is a 99 percent chance that he jumped a large, docile, square main canopy. And if he jumped in this century, he probably also had a large, docile, square reserve.
All this progress means that it is difficult to find any civilian skydiving instructors who have know how to teach how to land anything but a square parachute.

And let's be clear that I am only advocating pilots to buy large (200 to 300 square feet), docile, square reserves, similar to those loaned to skydiving students.

Note that recent Royal Canadian Air Force review of ejections concluded that the leading cause of injuries was pilots trying to flare round canopies! Where did young pilots learn that?

Which brings us to the question of how much training is required to survive landing a round or square parachute. Most old pilots believe that round parachutes require no special training, but keep in mind that most of them believe that a broken ankle is a satisfactory outcome.
It really comes down to the question: "Are pilots willing to take bail-out drills seriously?"
The Canadian Army needed two weeks to POUND Parachute Landing Falls into me, before they let me jump a round parachute.

Also consider that all student pilots had to demonstrate the basics of landing a square parachute - find an open field, face into the wind, extend landing gear, eyes on the horizon, flare - before they were allowed to fly an airplane solo.

The author - Rob Warner - did his first skydive back in 1977, under a military-surplus, 28 foot diameter C-8 canopy. He survived that jump, plus another 50 jumps with round student mains. During military service, he made another twenty or so jumps on round canopies, including schreding round canopies owned by both the German and Canadian Armies. His last jump on a round canopy was in 1986, and that canopy suffered so many small holes that it was consigned to a German Army trash can! Since then he has made more than 6,000 jumps on square canopies.
He has deployed three round reserves in emergencies and another 15 square reserves.
While working for Butler, Rigging Innovations and Para-Phernali, he packed over a thousand PEPs, including a few with squares. When he got bored test-jumping Aviator prototypes, he did a few down-wind landings, with his hands off the controls and concluded that 290 square foot, P-124A canopies land softer than most their round competitors.

Sean D. Tucker, arguably the best airshow performer in the world has at least two intentional bailouts of a broken Pitts.

On his latest one a couple years ago, the control stick broke, he gained altitude with the trim...'spotted' for himself with the rudders and made a nice clean exit.

He jumps a square PEP and has made a couple hundred skydives...so he did a nice easy stand-up right next to the remains of his airplane in a large open field...

THAT'S how ya do it! B|

wish there was a nice comfortable PEP that would hold an Optima, around a 176 would be nice.

I packed an Optimum 253 prototype into a Softie during the 2009 PIA Symposium. That Softie Wedge was originally designed for a 210 reserve made of F-111 fabric. The Optimum 253 just "fell" ino the free-bag!

Why you would want a 176 square foot canopy in a PEP is a mystery to me???
Scratching head???

When canopies get smaller than 200 square feet, the container begins to dominate and there is no noticeable reduction in volume. Any canopy smaller than 200 square feet is only serves to aggrandise the ego of the pilot.

The other problem is that few canopies smaller than 200 square feet can be landed "hands off" by any but the tiniest of pilots. Even the best of pilots degrades from "canopy swooping hero" to "zero" when he bashes his elbow on the way out the door of a spinning airplane.
Remember that most skydiving schools lend 250 square foot reserve to their students. Light-weight skydiving students might get 230 square foot reserves.
The smallest square - that I have packed into a a Butler Seat pack, was a Para-Flite Cirrus 220 (or 230) for Mike Mangold.

The biggest square that I have packed into a Butler chair pack was a 340 square foot reserve tha Para-Flite made for military freefallers. Even the 340 square footer was not big enough to fill the 40 inch long chair pack, so I suggested to Mr. Butler that the next time this size of canopy was ordered, to pack it into a 24 inch long back pack.

Oh! And I packed ooddles of 280 square foot Precision P-124A canopies into Aviator prototypes when I worked at Rigging Innovations.

When assisting pilots in selecting square reserve canopies - for their PEPs - stick with canopies certified under TSO C23C or C23D. TSO C23C - introduced in the early 1980s toughened up drop-test standards and closed a few loop-holes. The disadvantage of TSO C23C was that it only allowed manufacturers to certify canopies to a maximum of 254 pounds at 150 knots. Heavier customers were forced to search for military freefall reserves certified to heavier weights.

When TSO C23D was introduced during the early 1990s, it set the same minimums, but allowed manufacturers to certify reserve canopies to heavier weights and faster airspeeds. Though, when recommending canopies for PEPs, it is stil wise to keep wing-loadings near the 0.7 pounds per square foot recommended for skydiving students.

TBRS must be installed early in the construction process, because they require wrapping a strap around a major structural component (e.g. wing spar).

Re the applicable type rating - this kind of system doesn't really fall into either back, chest, seat or lap... so presumably isn't going to be field serviceable unless there is an additional type rating added?

TBRS must be installed early in the construction process, because they require wrapping a strap around a major structural component (e.g. wing spar).

Re the applicable type rating - this kind of system doesn't really fall into either back, chest, seat or lap... so presumably isn't going to be field serviceable unless there is an additional type rating added?

wouldn't you need an appropriately rated airframe mechanic to pack these ? ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

BRS must be installed early in the construction process, because they require wrapping a strap around a major structural component (e.g. wing spar).

Correct!
Ballistic Recovery Systems are not mentioned in the FAR's covering licensing parachute riggers, ergo cannot be serviced in the field.
The good news is that most of the components - of a BRS are sealed against the weather, so there is little risk of them deteriorating.
BRS Inc. says that that canopies must be repacked every decade and they only expect explosive cartridges to last 12 or 15 years ... about the same life as Cypres cutters. Fortunately, any competent aircraft mechanic can un-bolted the fabric components form the explosive components, to ease shipping.
Canada Post considers explosive cartridges to be worse than toxic waste, so don't even pretend to mail "noisy" BRS components across borders!

Part of the reason that BRS canopies must return to the factory - for I&R - is that they are pressure-packed into a cylinder and only the factory has the appropriate hydraulic presses to cram all those 20 pounds into a 10 pound cylinder.

These specialized tools (e.g. hydraulic presses) are the same thing that prevent civilian parachute riggers from pressure-packing parachutes into ejection seats (e.g. he headbox on an F-18 fighter jet). The simple answer is to hire a military-surplus rigger to repack military-surplus ejection seats. Mind you, the FAA has insisted that most military -surplus ejection seats be de-activated in civilian-registered airplanes.

" ... Next thing, specifics for glider pilots please :) ..."

Sorry if we strayed from your original question, while explaining the "bigger picture."

The simplest answer - for glider pilots - is long-back (aka. chair) type PEPs.

Fortunately, glider pilots only have to chose between a few options - when selecting emergency parachutes - : BRS, short back, long back (aka. chair) or lap type parachutes.

The first step is to ask if a Ballistic Recovery System has approved for your model of glider. If one is approved, great! Because BRS are by far the best option when you are having a bad day in the pilot's seat.

If a BRS is not approved in your glider, then the next question is: "Long or short back type PEP?"

Most gliders have easily-removable seat cushions, to accommodate a specific model of PEP.

Short back type PEPs fit best in gliders with upright seating. They are long enough (20 to 24 inches) that they rest on the seat bottom and support their own weight, relieving the pilot's shoulders of any additional load while pulling Gs in thermals.
Some gliders will even accommodate bulky, military-surplus back type PEPs in their upright seats.

German glider manufacturers revolutionized the PEP industry - during the 1960s - when they introduced sleek fibreglas gliders, with reclined seating. Since reclined seating required a gradual transition from back to seat, several parachute manufacturers - led by GQ Security's Safety-Chute - introduced long (40 inch) back type PEPs that blurred the transition. They did this by spreading the bulk of the parachute canopy all the way from the pilot's shoulders almost to their knees.
And they needed to carefully distribute the bulk of the bulky, military-surplus canopies installed in most of these first-generation civilian PEPs.
As time went by, manufacturers adopted sport reserves that were lighter and less-bulky, until eventually, Para-Phernalia quit distributing the canopy bulk along the entire length of their Long Softies. Instead, Para-Phernalia sews in a wall about 20 inches from the top and fills the "seat" portion with a foam pad.

The biggest (excuse the pun) advantage of long-back PEPs is that are so thin, they can be stuffed into almost any cockpit and are often the last resort for well-nourished pilots.

Keep in mind that even the biggest of square canopies may not be bulky enough to fill-out a long-back type PEP. For example, the last time I packed a 340 square foot, military freefall reserve into a 42 inch long PEP, I told the Mr. Butler, that the next time this combination was ordered, we would be better off sewing a 22 inch long free-bag and stuffing the bottom with foam.
Many long-back type PEPs are the same thickness from top to bottom, but others are tapered to fine-tune the fit. For example, if the pilot has a bit of extra room between his face and the instrument panel, he may be more comfortable with a long-back PEP that is two or three inches thick across the shoulders, tapering to almost zero at his knees.

OTOH, pilots with long legs may have no extra space near their shoulders, but a gap between their thighs and the front edge of seat, that is why Butler and National offer "reverse tapered" long-back PEP containers that are thick at the bottom edge, but taper to near zero thickness at the shoulders. Remember that this configuration will probably be uncomfortable for short-legged pilots who will grumble about pressure points under their thighs.

Lap type PEPs are the "last option" when struggling to fit rugby-sized pilots into jockey-sized cockpits. Only contemplate a lap type PEP after you have exhausted all the options with BRS, short-back and long-back type PEPs. Remember that since lap type PEPs fill the pilot's lap they are only compatible with side-mounted control sticks.

Ask other pilots - who fly the same model - which type of parachute they find comfortable. Some gliders come standard - from the factory with specific parachutes. Look at them first. For example, Blaniks come standard with short-back type parachutes to fit their upright seating configuration. The good news is that short-back type parachutes are - by far - the most popular PEPs and come in a variety of lengths, widths and thicknesses. Some are even tapered to fine-tune the man-machine interface.

Keep in mind that advice from a rugby-player sized pilot may not be comfortable for another pilot built like a jockey. In a perfect world, you can borrow a half dozen different sizes of parachutes, and do sit-checks to determine which shape is most comfortable for you.

You might also want to mention the importance of flow in regards to egress. This was taught to us in air racing school:

GLASS
CLASP
and YOUR ASS

Glass being the plexiglass canopy and clasp is the seat belt.

As with the FAR’s, this was also written in blood. The idea is that you don’t want to release the seat belt, only to find that you can’t now release the canopy and are left with one option - a forced landing without seat belt protection. It’s happened before. Certificated aircraft are better, but when you start looking at some of the experimental stuff with one-off canopy designs, this becomes a real issue.

Funny story about a PEP that got thrown away~

About 15 years ago we were doing a night show over Hawthorne Racetrack near Chicago. We were jumping pyro, there was a T-6 with pyro on it as well as a good friend in his Extra 300 also carrying night pyro...it was his first night show.

We went first and were down gathering gear when Tim in the Extra started his act with a low fly by, snapping to inverted.

I was staying with Tim at his house near Chicago that weekend and we'd talked about his routine earlier...I'm standing on the track looking up wondering why he's slowly circling the field for several minutes...still inverted and starting to climb.

5 minutes or so later I see an exaggerated wing wag and the Extra appears to exit the area, no sky filled with fireworks, no funky flips & spins...no nothing.

Took several minutes to call the T-6 in early, he was orbiting away from the site waiting for Tim's 10 minute act to start and there seemed to be a lotta confusion on the comm. as to what was going on....where was Tim, is he coming back, why isn't he answering the radio.

Tim's wife and mine...both accomplished airshow performers as well, were standing together looking worried. They had a hand held and had not heard from the Extra 300 since Tim had given the 1 minute to start call.

I was stuffing gear into the support van out in the parking lot 20 minutes later, when my wife came running out saying something about an emergency at Migs and all the trucks are dispatched...

By the time we got there the Extra is being towed off the runway escorted by several fire trucks, I find my ole buddy outside the fire-house talking to someone, still geared up in this flight suit-helmet & parachute.

He sees me and the girls walking over and throws me the 'gimme a minute' look so I detour the wives into the fire house and wait for him to finish.

Couple minutes later he calls to me and as I'm walking over to him I start getting the picture...He's SOAKED head to toe in AV GAS!

Seems when he went inverted one of the cross connect fuel lines that run through the cockpit broke wide open...he was upside down watching the clear canopy fill with gas!

He's in a cramped experimental that has fireworks strapped all over, with the associated electrical firing wires running into the cockpit to a temporary box on the stick...upside-down over a major city, with the bubble filling up 1/2 way - high octane! :o:S

He was so afraid of ANY spark bringing his act to an impressive but short end, he wouldn't even key the mike on the radio...circled the tower inverted, flipped her over, short final to touchdown and a hit the numbers not even waiting for a full stop before rolling out and running. :D

Hands still shaking, I get him undressed, into my jumpsuit, and hand him a cold one from the cooler...his gear is in a pile next to the fence, gas leaking from the PEP it was so covered.

I picked up the rig, it weighed twice as much as before and pulled the ripcord, figured I'd at least get some water on it.

Tim said, "What does gas do to one of those?"
Nothing good I replied, I think we should rinse it quick here and soak it back home...might be salvageable, but I wouldn't jump it!

Then fuck it he said and dumped the whole thing in the 55 gal. trash barrel outside the fire house.:o

Short time later we were carefully pulling the pyro off the plane so it could be stored there over night...Tim was obviously a bit shaken and couldn't stop talking 200mph...

Lemme ask you Jim, what would have happened if...I popped the canopy and got out, would the parachute have opened soaked in fuel?

I told him, Well...I would stand on my head for 10 seconds or so to get going really fast, that way the flames might blow out before ya deploy! :ph34r:

He kinda turned white, called me an asshole, turned around and threw up...B|

That's a great story. As I'm reading down I'm also thinking "don't key the mic". What a predicament....lots of fuel, lots of O2, and praying the final leg of the triangle doesn't enter the equation.

As to your previous mention of Sean Tucker being arguably the best airshow performer, no argument here. Aside from leaving his aircraft on occasion, I understand he's also broken a dozen crankshafts. He has a hilarious story and video of taking a coed up on an Acro flight when he lost one of them. The guy's amazing.

WHAT TYPE OF ROUND CANOPY?

If your customer is one of those stubborn old fools ... er ... "antique airplane afficianados" who insists on buying a PEP containing a round canopy, the next question is: "How much do you weight?" ... closely followed by: "How fast is your airplane?"