hokierower

Wearing Vibram Five Fingers while Skydiving?

See attached. That was from dragging a toe on landing WITH shoes (Skechers).

Don't want to think what it would've looked like without.

You're not allowed to lead up to something like that and NOT show a gruesome picture! I was expecting torn flesh and bone and all I got was a broken toe.>:(

Not even broken. Just very bruised. Didn't even lose the toenail.

Stick around ... you'll see plenty of gruesome in this sport (as well as lots of bumps and bruises and sprains and strains. One of my favorite things to do after a team training weekend is to play "count the bruises." :D:D)

Challenge accepted.

It sounds like you get the same situation in skydiving between shoes, suit, helmet, glasses, & gloves and it's up to each jumper (non-student) to decide which way they want to go.

It is a lot like the motorcycle gear debate, but in skydiving you'll find that 'most' jumpers go with a helmet, jumpsuit, and sturdy footwear, with a small majority choosing to pass on these items.

I think you'll find the high percentage of pro-safety gear jumpers in skydiving because jumping in itself is probably more risky than a great deal of motorcycling.

Even though my mom likes to tell me it's not me she's worried about when I ride, it's the other drivers, I'm a firm believer that they type of rider you are makes a big difference. I know riders (cruiser guys) who don't ride at night, or in the rain, or in heavy traffic, and rarely go on the freeway. These guys, I suppose, could get away with riding in jeans, tennis shoes and a t-shirt.

The contrast being guys who ride full time, or sport bike/stunt guys who have a much greater exposure to more dangerous situations, and those guys should be in protective gear full time.

In skydiving, there are no cruisers. Every jump is a sport bike ride down the freeway at 100mph, on the back wheel. Choose your gear accordingly.

I thought of a good metric for you to use in choosing your skydiving gear for the first couple dozen jumps. Wear whatever you would want to wear if you had to run through a dense forest at top speed, or fall out of a tree. You may end up doing either one (more or less) at the end of a jump, so be ready.

Once you have more control over your fate, and can be reliably get yourself safely on the ground, then you can look into relaxing some of the 'armor', but until then, suit up and be safe.

I wore normal sneakers for my earlier jumps, but even with soft landings, my feet and ankles still got shocked. I only wear Nike Air high tops now, this solved the shock problem and if I find a squishier shoe I will use that. I think cushioning is a great thing, I don't think I will end up ever jumping bare foot, if I had to I'd probably wear something like VFF.. But I think I'd still stick to squishy shoes :)
www.exoticbodypiercing.com.au

those look good; that's what most sensible jumpers would wear! :)
you will end up with a botched landing some time. ii'm sure you'll welcome the choice you made now, instead of regretting..

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Even though my mom likes to tell me it's not me she's worried about when I ride, it's the other drivers, I'm a firm believer that they type of rider you are makes a big difference. I know riders (cruiser guys) who don't ride at night, or in the rain, or in heavy traffic, and rarely go on the freeway. These guys, I suppose, could get away with riding in jeans, tennis shoes and a t-shirt.

I gotta agree with your mom on this one Dave, and I'm no motorcycle gear nazi (although I used to be - I'm personally ATGATT) people can wear what they want. Having said that, it's precisely those cruiser people who should be geared up. They probably don't ride a whole lot, don't pay a whole lot of attention to technique and are riding in the most dangerous environments (cities). (sorry for the OT)

When it comes to skydiving, it's fun to jump without gear occasionally IMO. I don't jump without a helmet but I have jumped without my jumpsuit before. When you're starting out, you're more likely to need the gear to keep your clothes clean and your appendages intact. I see skydiving gear more like tools of the trade than safety equipment (although there are a lot of safety aspects to skydiving gear). To illustrate: a jump suit is good for keeping your clothes clean if you end up with a less than optimal landing, it's also good for making your 2 way easier (grippers). It also adds some safety by keeping any material away from your emergency handles in the event you need them.

When it comes to shoes, I rarely wear anything but VFFs these days but you can bet your ass I wear shoes when I could be putting my feet/ankles at risk either in the air or on my bike.

Does anyone wear a pair when you jump? I've got two pairs that I wear for most everything (except work) and want to wear them for jumping but just wanted to see if anyone else had done it previously.

While I do agree with a little bit of what everyone has been saying, jump in whatever you want once you have gotten decent enough to land safely every time... It's your choice and you need to make decisions based on what you are comfortable with.

I probably have a couple hundred, maybe up to 500 in VFF's... I don't remember which kind I have, but they're pretty awesome. All of those landings were into pea gravel or on the sand in the river bed at the dz i was jumping at last summer. Even when getting dropped by shitty wind gusts, the worst problem I ever faced was getting rocks lodged between my toes... an easy fix!

I found that I could feel the plane far more with them on when exiting, making AFF and tandem exits much easier... I also found it quite refreshing. Wearing them in my booties though was tricky because the sole is so thin. It didn't work well.

My recommendation for you is to get really good at landing a parachute in all conditions before wearing them because as mentioned, they don't really provide a lot of support. All in all though, great for jumping in! :)

I've only worn mine for a few beach jumps because they are much easier to wash out than my shoes. I like my shoes at the DZ since there may be little divets in the ground that I cannot see because of the gass.

I wear my KSOs all the time too whether it is working out, kayking, fishing on a boat, and bee-bopping around the house.

I have a pair and they grip well during a mild hike and grab great on rocks,,but do not slide well,,,i would not advise for jumping,landing or swooping and if you do ..well i wish you well. Its only a matter of time before the stick......:(

smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

I have been wearing soley VFFs for almost two years, other than during ROTC and at my new part-time job. It has come to the point that I pretty much don't own any other shoes, and honestly don't really want to wear anything else. That being said, I obviously know I can't wear just them due to my choice of ROTC/military, but I definitely wish I could.

I am a fairly active person, around my school schedule, and I do everything in VFF. I am about to start my AFF in a couple of weeks, and thought about this as being a concern, but just for a short period of time. They have just become an everyday thing for me, and I don't usually think about anything else as an option.

I previously skateboarded, during highscool, so I know how well skate shoes are designed for shock absorption. I guess I may have to consider getting another pair, or just rocking the VFFs.

I am also a motorcycle rider who doesn;t wear all the gear. I actually ride in gym-like attire more than anything else. If I go down will I wish that I was wearing my jacket, maybe, but I enjoy being comfortable when I ride and not having to lug around all the gear.

when you fall off your bike, have fun with your clothes being fused to your sorry ass. and think about this post when they will plug fibre by fibre out of it.

"dress for success" is something you read on here again and again.
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I am about to start my AFF in a couple of weeks, and thought about this as being a concern, but just for a short period of time. They have just become an everyday thing for me, and I don't usually think about anything else as an option.

Once you have an A license, it'll be up to you, but I have yet to observe a student program that won't require closed-toed athletic shoes for a student... so you'll probably want to think about something else as an option.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I am also a motorcycle rider who doesn;t wear all the gear. I actually ride in gym-like attire more than anything else. If I go down will I wish that I was wearing my jacket, maybe, but I enjoy being comfortable when I ride and not having to lug around all the gear

This disregard for safety will not serve you well in skydiving. Adjust that attitude before going to the DZ, or you're going to have a tough time being the 'new guy' at the DZ. The more experienced jumpers out there don't suffer fools lightly.

I am also a motorcycle rider who doesn;t wear all the gear. I actually ride in gym-like attire more than anything else. If I go down will I wish that I was wearing my jacket, maybe, but I enjoy being comfortable when I ride and not having to lug around all the gear

This disregard for safety will not serve you well in skydiving. Adjust that attitude before going to the DZ, or you're going to have a tough time being the 'new guy' at the DZ. The more experienced jumpers out there don't suffer fools lightly.

Won't serve him well on a motorcycle either.

The biggest reason for not wearing then is they make you look silly. It seems people will buy anything.

Sparky

Kinda the same way some may think having an ROL or spring-loaded PC or a 7 cell main may look silly ?

Objectivity helps...

I was being objective.;)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The biggest reason for not wearing then is they make you look silly. It seems people will buy anything.

Sparky

Kinda the same way some may think having an ROL or spring-loaded PC or a 7 cell main may look silly ?

Objectivity helps...

I was being objective.;)

Sparky

:D:D:D

I wear them all the time when I'm not going totally bear foot and I think sparky is hilarious. Relax mate, he's clearly expressing avpersonal opinion.

Sparky

So do bright orange jumpsuits, but that never stopped me from jumping with people wearing one ;).

How else would you get on a load?:)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals