Nightingale

Different Standards

So, as a patrol officer, your solution to every person that scares you is draw your duty weapon? OK, now you scare me.

I never said I was a patrole officer. I have never been a patrole officer. This dude was a drug smuggler, with a long and violent criminal history. In that situation, at that time, with no back-up, yes, I made the right decision. The situation was going to get ugly very quickly, and by letting him know exactly what would happen, I did diffuse the situation. Thanks for caring though.

I think if you can do the job , then fine. However, I have yet to meet a female who can carry a 120 lb rucksack let alone even a 70 lb one without sniveling like a rat eating onions after a mile. If you're on my team and you can't carry your shit then someone else on the team has to pick up your slack and that is UNSAT, male or female. You can have seperate standards( I understand the reasons why) but not if it's for the same job. If your filling a typical mans job position you should be held to the same standard regardless of gender differences.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have yet to meet a female who can carry a 120 lb rucksack let alone even a 70 lb one without sniveling like a rat eating onions after a mile.

Damn was I bitchin while running across LZ Crow (JRTC) with a Hind swooping at us....I was carrying probably 100+Lbs. (Not including weapon, Kevlar and LBV) I was supposed to be "In a nice warm truck" per the S-3. Freakin conventional Duschbags!!! 3/502/101. :D

Being in the military. I am on the side of either can do or can't. I hear a lot of bitching about women can not do the heavy stuff like the men. BS!! I see a lot of week scrony guys, TODAY. They are the ones bitching. I have worked with both lazy, dumb ass. Men AND Women. And I have worked with Hard Chargers as well. If you can do it then do it. If you can't. Shut up!!

RIGHT FUCKIN ON...

set a standard... a realistic one for the job and if you can meet it.. do the job.. and all the idiots who want to limit where and what jobs women can do....because they might be raped... are not strong enough...etc...... SHUT THE FUCK UP

You aint met me yet dahrlin

True. I have also seen a female pick up a deuce and a half tire by herself but she was the exception, not the rule. If you can carry a 120 lb ruck through the bush then my hats is off to you. I am still not convinced an average woman can fill my MOS field job description as there are few men that qualify as it is.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

there is still a problem with the standard for the rank and file

what possible justification can there be for expecting a male to be closer to an olympic run standard than a female?

i need to dig our the charts again, but anyone who wants to can double the current olympic 1 mile time for males and females and then compare that to the time/score on the standard army PT test.

now tell me why there is such a variance?
and both soldiers are using that score for promotion points.

[reply
How about something simple, like wrestling a 250 pounder to the ground so he can be cuffed and hobbled? If it's you and one other cop on the scene, would you rather have someone who can do the physical requirements, or someone who was passed unfairly?

Hmm... There was a study here in Finland about the difference of having two male policemen vs. having a mixed team. It turned out that having a female partner diffused a "bad situation" w/o violence more often than having two 250 pounder gorillas. Of course this does not justify you to be out of fit etc. in the extend of causing serious hazard to you and your partner.

On the other hand that's a whole different scenario and if somebody wants to start to preach about fit/unfit people in the uniform, they should start with the guys with big stommies, who can not run half a mile without having serious problems... :S

No, if you can't do the job....don't bitch about not being allowed.

Its a shame that women want to be "equal" then they are given seperate tests, and expectations.

Thats not equal.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

what possible justification can there be for expecting a male to be closer to an olympic run standard than a female?

Have you looked at a recent PT card( DA 705, 1999)? Males 2 mile time in the 17-21 and 21-26 age group is 13:00 mins for 100 points. Female run times in those same age groups for 100 points is 15:36. I think a 2 min 36 sec gap is proof enough that there are some obvious differences and reasons why females should either be held to the male standard if the job requires one to be active and work alongside males in a physically demanding job or not be allowed in that job field.

Now I am pretty sure that 6 1/2 min miles are not Olympic run standards. If they are then I just might show up at the next try outs in my black high top Chuck Connors;)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

oh i'm not saying that will even qualify you for the regional track and feild events..i'm wondering why a male is expected to be significantly closer to an 'olympic standard' than a female of the same age? there is no where near the same gap in genders at the elite level why is there at the high end of the military scale?

i ran with several females who were on the army track and field team who smoked me easily but it still annoys me that they earned a higher score for less effort.

In the military, I don't care what your primary job is. If things hit the fan, you're a grunt. At that point, I don't want someone sitting next to me crying and unable to do the job.

Sorry if I sound peeved but I saw it in Bosnia and yes, it did leave me a little jaded. I don't look at it from a sexist standpoint, rather from an ability standpoint. I've met women in the military I'd much rather have by my side in a tough situation than an awful lot of the men I knew. It has nothing to do with having an innie or an outie; it's about your ability to perform. If you can't handle it, get out.

Blue skies and happy landings!

US military, have different fitness requirements for men and women. The requirements for the women are easier to meet.

From a military stand point I do not think it is fair because the women who are actually able to do as good as a male still go under the female scoring system. This means that they can achieve maximum in the Physical Fitness Test with minimal effort.

The one co-ed leadership school I went to a woman won the Fitness awayrd even though a male excelled as well. If they are going to have two standards then there should be two awards.

If you want to play with the Big-Boys then you had better be able to hang with the Big Boys!!!!!!!!

Laters,

KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!!!B|
The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

No, it's not an appropriate practice. The job specifics are xxx. Gender should not play into it. You can either do the job or you can't. If you can and you're female - SWEET! :)
I've seen the military fitness card that JmpnKramer has with the differences between male/female requirements. You know...I'm all for women getting out there and doing the job, BUT do not jeopardize someone's life because you can't admit that you can not handle the job.

I would be one pissed off individual if someone was given a job with lower requirements and then my man or anyone I care about was killed (or injured) because they could not do the job. >:(
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

It's silly that women would demand different standards while at the same time demand equal and fair treatment.

I have two words that should start a shit storm:

AFFIRMATIVE ACTION

Any takers?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

>AFFIRMATIVE ACTION

Yay! Boo! Yay! Boo! Boo! Boo!

(the above is a sad attempt to pre-summarize the next 200 posts in an effort to enhance workplace productivity in the US. Since I already summarized it all, people can avoid spending hours in front of a computer composing incontrovertible statements, lengthy replies and stinging rebukes!)

>AFFIRMATIVE ACTION

I disagree
Boo! Yay! Boo! Boo! Yay! Boo!

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>AFFIRMATIVE ACTION

(the above is a sad attempt to pre-summarize the next 200 posts in an effort to enhance workplace productivity in the US. Since I already summarized it all, people can avoid spending hours in front of a computer composing incontrovertible statements, lengthy replies and stinging rebukes!)

Well done, Bill! If I ever rule the world, you can be in charge of work place productivity. (but you need a bigger hotter redder fork, and more will to use it) >:(

ps - we know you just don't want to have to read them all. :) I wouldn't either.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*