5kyd1vergav

reserve WL

okay , im paranoid!!

i bought used gear thinking the reserve was a 155.

im flying 170s on club gear so i figured id be fine with a reserve of 155.

theres some confusion with the repack reports-- some say 155 techno and some say 140 techno.

im 147lbs w/o gear and only 30 jumps. flying 170s fine but fear i wont be passed to jump the rig with a 140 reserve.

any1 out there with advice or knowledge on this please settle my nerves!! thanks, peace. gav.

Check the dates on the reserve packing card. The rig might have had a 140 previously then a 155 packed inside now. Either way both reserves are too small for your number of jumps/ wingload IMO. BTW, did you buy the package without even opening to see what is inside?:|

Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

You might not chop the main.
You might not be naked, with your gear on, when you have a malfunction.

It might be a no-wind day and you're way off the DZ going into a tight space. Or the winds might be squirrely.

Do you really want to find out how the smallest canopy you've ever flown works on your first malfunction? I'd strongly suggest getting a larger reserve in there. In the long run, a 140 will probably be fine. But if you can borrow a reserve or buy a larger one, that would be better.

I'd suggest keeping away from the Micro-Raven (even though I have one) because its flare characteristics are different from what you're used to.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Techno 140 = 176 lbs Max Recommended Weight and 198 lbs. Max Exit Weight

Techno 155 = 198lbs Max Recommended and 220 lbs Max Exit.

Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Don’t get me wrong, you’re lightweight and the reserve should be OK in the long run as Wendy already mentioned but you’re assuming you’re not going to have a cutaway in the next couple hundred jumps (which is likely but not impossible).
Is the rig already with you? I assume you are planning to take it to a rigger. Please ask him to fully inspect the gear and be there to watch and ask as much as you can.
See if you can fit a reserve at least the same size as the main you’re currently flying. An Optimum 176 (if it fits) or 160 would be awesome (but expensive though).
I know this will sound cruel since you already bought the rig but borrowing gear until you can fly comfortably a 150 canopy would probably the best option.
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

Wendy P.

I sat thru a coach course saturday, at one point the instructor had the students doing PLF's.

Ahh, the fun times!:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The first thing to do is talk with a reputable rigger in your area. He/she should be able to check the data panel sown to the canopy (or do it yourself) and figure out what is the actual size of the canopy.

Next find a company that will let you demo the canopy which you will choose or have chosen as your last hope to save your life.

Please don't be one of those lemmings who buys and jumps a parachute that they have no idea how it will actually fly and land. They often say: "But it's just the reserve. How, many times am I going to have to use it?"

Query me this:

You've just had the scariest malfunction ever, end up under your reserve at a lower altitude than you like, look down and realize that the spot is really long, your only option is to land in the worst place you've ever imagined, you realize that the pain your feeling is your leg straps that, due to the pucker factor, have sucked up into your butt crack, your hands are trembling so bad you can barely put them in your toggles, your heart is pounding through your chest, and of course you can't remember what direction the wind was blowing. Do you really want that to be your very first jump on this canopy?
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

>im flying 170s on club gear so i figured id be fine with a reserve of 155.

From that statement the best conclusion would be "I'll be fine with a reserve of 170."

Reserve rides happen when you least expect them. Do you want to jump a 155 (or 140) for the first time when you find yourself open at 700 feet over a shopping mall? Get a reserve you know you can land, not one that makes you think "well, it's not that much smaller, and I'm a fast learner."

(Personally I have a Crossfire2 109 and a PD143 reserve; my second rig has a Safire 119 and a PD160. I've had half a dozen cutaways, and I've never been under a reserve thinking "damn, I wish that reserve was smaller.")

From that statement the best conclusion would be "I'll be fine with a reserve of 170."

Or maybe even this:

"A 170 should be absolutely the smallest reserve I should consider."
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

it has existed, but is no longer available for purchase since it's not certified under QAC121 (french airworthiness certification) or TSO23D. Basically it's simply not certified at all (from Techno user manual).
For example it's not usable neither in France nor in the US. I don't know for the rest of the world....