absane

Used gear on eBay

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230589345698&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

To sum it up... the seller is reputable.

Vector V-5 (1988 brand new) with < 100 jumps
Falcon 215 with ~ 125 jumps
Raven 2 with 1 ride
Been in storage ever since.

Looking at the photos, it looks new for a rig that's 23 years old.

Question... would this be safe for a first rig? And for the price that it's at now, is it worth it?
Don't forget to pull!

that rig is ridiculously overpriced and will need a few mods to make it acceptable for use.

What would be a more acceptable price for such a rig? And what sort of mods would it need?

Just scouting around... I find that researching used vehicles is easier than this. Thank you :)

Don't forget to pull!

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230589345698&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

To sum it up... the seller is reputable.

Vector V-5 (1988 brand new) with Falcon 215 with ~ 125 jumps
Raven 2 with 1 ride
Been in storage ever since.

Looking at the photos, it looks new for a rig that's 23 years old.

Question... would this be safe for a first rig? And for the price that it's at now, is it worth it?

Clickified.

$1800?!?!? :o
:D:D:D:D:D:D

Worth it? :D:D:D:D

No.

The Falcon is an F-111 main and is only good for a few hundred jumps.
The Vector doesn't even have a BOC. It's a leg pouch. :| (one mod that will need to be done)
I kinda doubt it has an AAD pocket in it.

I'm really curious who is bidding it up that high. Maybe the seller has a couple accounts. I don't know anybody that would go more than a few hundred for it.

If you want to see what gear is worth, take a look through the classifieds on here, or look at the major retailers (SQ1, Chutingstar, ect).
Seriously, that's some real "gutter gear". You could do a lot better for a lot less.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

The reserve is a good, functional piece of gear. You could jump that in a rig for years and be happy with it. The container is in need of mods to be useful by today's standards, and even then it would not be a good freefly rig. The main will have a limited useful life due to being F-111, so if the jump numbers are lower and your WL would be 1 to 1 or less, it would be useful for you up to a point. Eventually the jump numbers will suck the life out of it and it will have zero value.

All of that aside, never ever never never never buy used parachute gear unless it has been inspected and approved by a rigger you know, or a rigger someone close to you knows and trusts. A repack 4 months ago is not applicable as anything could have happened in the last four months, and the inspection at the time of a reserve repack varies from rigger to rigger, and most do not include the main. What you need is a complete pre-purchase inspection of all components with zero jump since the inspection, so you know you're getting what the rigger saw. How you work that ouy between you, the seller, and e-bay is anyone's guess.

What you need is a complete pre-purchase inspection of all components with zero jump since the inspection, so you know you're getting what the rigger saw. How you work that ouy between you, the seller, and e-bay is anyone's guess.

I suspect that one could win the auction and have the rig mailed to the local rigger for inspection. If it's a "go" by him, then the transfer of funds can commence. Though, I think that eBay has certain rules about paying within a certain time frame.

However, I do most of my searching for rigs here on this site in the classifieds.
Don't forget to pull!

What you need is a complete pre-purchase inspection of all components with zero jump since the inspection, so you know you're getting what the rigger saw. How you work that ouy between you, the seller, and e-bay is anyone's guess.

I suspect that one could win the auction and have the rig mailed to the local rigger for inspection. If it's a "go" by him, then the transfer of funds can commence. Though, I think that eBay has certain rules about paying within a certain time frame. (and yes, I have personally gotten 3 refunds using Buyer Protection - one for the item not as described, and 2 for the items never shipped)

However, I do most of my searching for rigs here on this site in the classifieds.

I find it hard to believe that any eBay seller is willing to ship a product before getting paid. However, eBay does offer great consumer protection, and if the product is not as described they will get you a refund after you prove return delivery. This is a recent change with them, and makes their protection on par with what credit cards offer.

I find it hard to believe that any eBay seller is willing to ship a product before getting paid.

You're right... though I was hoping that one skydiver would be willing to work with another in some way. It's one thing to buy a cell phone on eBay and be dissatisfied with it... it's quite another to buy a lifesaving device that's unsatisfactory.

But, then again.. they are selling rigs on eBay... the hidden message might be "trust me, it's a good rig sight unseen." lol.

However, eBay does offer great consumer protection, and if the product is not as described they will get you a refund after you prove return delivery. This is a recent change with them, and makes their protection on par with what credit cards offer.

Very true... though I do need to research the exact terms and conditions for the buyer protection program.

I hope that the first rig I buy is available for me to try before I buy. Or, I'll just buy a rig from the DZ's stock.
Don't forget to pull!

But, I hope that the first rig I buy is available for me to try before I buy.

Then might I recommend putting eBay farther down on your list of places to look? I'd start with your local DZ - ask around, see if anyone's got anything lying around in a closet that they're not currently using or anything that they're actively trying to sell.

Next, look at the classifieds here. Yes, as a free service, it doesn't come with the buyer protections that eBay has, but what it does come with a higher likelihood that the person selling the gear is or was a skydiver (sure, there are scammers here, but in general they are well managed by the site management, and often with a few questions back and forth it's pretty obvious who's legit and who's full of shit).

Another option would be to contact gear stores and dealers. Many of them deal in used gear and have good leads on available gear. The overwhelming majority of them will provide great service, help you to choose the right gear, and will be able to evaluate the quality of the gear and ensure that it's priced fairly.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke