ShadowCount

Arch - The theory

I'm starting my AFF course this weekend. I have three questions.

Numéro 1: I want to practice my arch. Can someone, preferably an instructor, explain to me how to do a perfect arch? Picture says a thousand words or perhaps a link to an AFF syllabus? I want to practice muscle memory in front of a mirror and possibly in the pool. I'm talking arms, legs feet head, back...

Numéro 2: Me and mah bitc- I mean AFFIES are in the door ready to go out. Aside from arching, what can I do to prevent the last AFFI out the door tumbling over us? (or if you will, AFFI number one going low)

Numéro 3: I'm a bad drinker. Will this be a problem? Also willing to put in some practice.
Btw I'm not a troll. Would appreciate answers to questions one and two.

1: symetry is the key. The problem is I'm hesitant to suggest this is a good idea. The real danger is that in the absence of an instructor you can get the position wrong. You therefore build up muscle memory of the wrong position... which is hard to break and will cost you $$$ in re-takes to cure.

2: I'm not an AFFI so I'll not comment. I would have thought though these issues are primarily the concern of your instructors, not you.

3: Yes it may be a problem. Never ever ever skydive under the influence. It's not just your life you risk, but the lives of everyone else around you.

Remember you may still be intoxicated the morning after. I would suggest that you, (asside from learning to control your drinking, which is your own busness), at least invest in one of those home breath tester keyring things. If you blow over the limit, ground yourself till you don't.

I'm no instructor, but this I can say:

1) No worries, any FJC will rehearse the exit and arch until you are sick of it (almost).

2) Again, no worries. Any AFFI is a vastly experienced skydiver before even qualifying to take the course to become an AFFI.
You'll really have to do your worst in order to lose them both.
As for going low, it's your skydive - the experienced people can look after themselves. Concentrate on the exersises you have to do.
But if you're worried, talk to both your AFFIs about it before the dive. They'll surely be able to put you at ease.

3) No alcohol allowed in the air - not a drop! Even if you've got "a head for it" the reduced oxygen levels can make the influence of alcohol much worse.
It's best if you have had a good night's sleep before jumping, and don't drink any alcohol.
If you must, drink moderately and make sure there's more than eight hours between the drink and the dive.

4) have fun! This is the most important aspect of any skydive.
Sure it's nice if you achieve your goals, but if you don't - no reason why you couldn't have had any fun.
It isn't a contest!
Relax, go to your FJC with a clear head, pay attention and you'll be a big step closer to solving the problems which for now only exist between your ears ;)

Then, after you land and the jumping is done, buy your instructors a case of beer and talk to them. An easy way to make friends and pick the brains of the experienced jumpers.
I've said it before and will say it again, even the most introverted and modest skydiver loves to talk about his sport and needs only the flimsiest excuse to do so.

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Don't worry about your arch, or any part of your first jump course until you take the class. Let the instructor teach what they want, in the way they want.

As far as your AFF I's are concerned, just worry about yourself there superman. You do your job, and they'll do yours. In truth, they'll do your job too, if you don't.

In terms of drinking, the FAA requires 8 hours from your last drink until a pilot can legally climb into the cockpit. This a good rule to follow as a jumper.

I would avoid drinking at all the night before any student jump you make, out of respect for your instructors. They have a degree of responsibility for your skydive, and alcohol in your system may impair your ability to do your part.

I can dig the whole "wrong muscle memory" thing. But still, if someone can explain how to do it in a list of do's and do nots, I can check all these things in the mirror. Plus, there's always a chance of practicing it wrong. I mean, my AFFI does not live with me so he can't correct my posture when I'm naked on the bathroom floor practicing my arch.

The whole drinking thing was a bad joke. Let's not hijack this thread. I know drugs are bad. Mkay?

just worry about yourself there superman

Haha, guess you've got a point. I'll just ask the guys if there's anything I should not do. Now if you all agree that I shouldn't practice before I try, you can forget about my first question as well.

my AFFI does not live with me so he can't correct my posture when I'm naked on the the bathroom practicing my arch.

Exactly. Nor do we.

It is virtually impossible to tell you what to do wothout actually being there to see what you're doing.
Furthermore, you know nothing of me, so who says that the advice I am giving is not to have some fun at the expense of some impressionable student?

But in your First Jump Class (FJC) your instructor is right there with you, and they will be paying close attention to your body position, correcting it when necessary. The FJC lasts for hours, and believe you me, you're not in the plane unless you satisfy your instructors that you are able to jump safely.

Look at my first jump: I was scared as hell, stiff as a plank and even closed my eyes briefly - but I did arch :D
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

The best thing you can do is show up 30 minutes earlier than they asked you to, well rested. Pay attention and ask questions pertinant to the task at hand, not off topic.

Don't worry about the instructors. They are there to help you not the other way around.

So what DZ are you going to training at?
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Ok, here's what i was told.....

It aint pretty but it sticks in your mind.

Pretend you are having sex , doggy style whilst standing up, thrust your hips forward, and wave at your neighbours with both hands.....
Don't actually wave during the skydive....

It'll help you relax aswell
;)

hahahah

I had an instructor who said

"So do you have a girlfriend? Well when you arch I want you to think about her. just go ahead and stick your junk out there"

One day, if I ever become an instructor, I promise to impart those words of wisdom...

B|

Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

I'm hesitant to answer your question over the Internet, but...Here are a few photos from The Ranch web site. Take them as a broad overview to provide you with advance context, and let your instructor teach when you arrive. http://skydivetheranch.com/body_position.php
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I am an AFF I/E DE 22 years exp.
Want to practice at home?
Ever shoot a freethrow? Play base ball or just about any sport?
Take your basic get ready stance for most sports
Knees shoulder width or so comfortable, slight bend at the knees NOW the difference Push hips as far forward as possible Look Straight back meaning tilt head and neck back till you can see the wall and ceiling meet. Pur your arms shoulders and elbows in the position of a football goal post
90 degrees at shoulders .and elbows
STICK the hips forward till your back hurts
Thats it
Your I's will tweak the rest
If you really want to feel the pain do this but pur each knee and elbow on a chair and suspend yourself from the 4 points
"been around, seen some things, slept in dumpsters got high with kings
KR

Ok, here's what i was told.....

It aint pretty but it sticks in your mind.

Pretend you are having sex , doggy style whilst standing up, thrust your hips forward, and wave at your neighbours with both hands.....
Don't actually wave during the skydive....

It'll help you relax aswell
;)

LMAO....

assuming of course the original poster is a guy thats actually a pretty good description!! Now somewhere there is a guy, naked in his bathroom, waving at himself in the mirror whist imaging getting a blow job from a leper who looks like Cindy Crawford as his neighbors look on in horror... :ph34r::D:D

Don't sweat the petty things... and don't pet the sweaty things!