djro

Canopy unused for years

I'm considering buying a canopy with very low jump numbers that's been left unused for years, my question is does leaving it for such a long time pose a safety or performance issue? We're talking upto 6 years left in a bag in a loft (zp fabric).

Anything I should be aware of?

I'm currently jumping a Crossfire (original, not XF-2) that had less than 50 jumps on it when I bought it, but is/was almost 8 yrs old when I got it. Was stored sealed in one of those Tupperware-like tubs/bins, literally in the back of the original owners closet (retired from jumping) all that time. I've since now (2 seasons) put just over 500 jumps on it, and it still does not even need its 1st replacement lineset yet. For all intents and purposes, it was just like getting a BRAND NEW canopy! B|

Just like vintage car "barn finds", this closet find was indeed rare - but as someone else already pointed out, if it was stored correctly - should be just fine.

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Dry, cool, preferably dark, in something that won't deteriorate. A trash bag in the back of a closet isn't bad if the previous owner wasn't throwing shoes and stuff on it; a tupperware-type bin is better (because then the shoes don't matter).

I stored my gear in a closet for 13 years between jumps. It worked just fine (although folks made fun of it when I started jumping again :P)

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

What counts as "stored correctly"

Better asked of a rigger... But I'll take a stab.

* In a bag
* Out of sunlight (UV does most of the damage)
* Dry
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Ahhhhhhhh...

I have a 20 year old Fury 220, that spent 1 year jumping (80 jumps), then spent the next 19 years of its life in someone's wardrobe...

Its still got that F111 Godliness ;)

aka, it flies as I'd expect (with my limited experience) an F111 canopy with (now) 150 jumps...