5kyd1vergav

freefly suit

Most FFers tend to wear tighter suits/clothes these days. The last thing you want is to be standing all the time to try to keep up with jumpers that are falling faster than you in their sit.

When I'm wearing shorts in warm weather I usually just wear a t-shirt with them... If it's a little cooler I like to wear a close fitting 'dry-fit' long sleeve shirt.. Otherwise I just wear rather tight FF suit.

The less baggy the better... IMHO.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Most FFers tend to wear tighter suits/clothes these days. The last thing you want is to be standing all the time to try to keep up with jumpers that are falling faster than you in their sit.

When I'm wearing shorts in warm weather I usually just wear a t-shirt with them... If it's a little cooler I like to wear a close fitting 'dry-fit' long sleeve shirt.. Otherwise I just wear rather tight FF suit.

sonic flywear
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Gav,
When you're starting out, baggy is better. The tighter suits that people wear now are only a benefit when you get more precise in your flying.
As you'll be learing head up first, get a baggy top to go with your freefly pants. This will give you more drag on your upper body (make sure it is not so baggy that it can blow up around your handles) making it easier to get head up and work out your flying position. As you get better you won't need the extra bagginess but it accelerates the learning in the early stages.

Get ready to be offended again.

What are you, stupid? The amount of fabric the guy will need is based on the ratio of his height to weight, not the current trends in freeflying.

Sure, the top VRW teams all wear the same, slim fitting suits. So do all the top RW teams, and what do all of those top athletes have in common, they're all althletes, and in top physical shape. If any one of those guys was to pack on 15 or 20lbs, their slim fitting suit would be hing up in favor of a more baggy option (or the guys would wear weights).

The point is that what this guy should wear is anyones guess without knowing his size, and the size of the people he jumps with. If he makes 90% of his jumps with his 100lb girlfriend, and he's a more averave sized male, your 'honest opinion' that less baggy is better would be wrong.

All of that aside, he should also be looking to balance the drag between his upper and lower body. If his pants are extra baggy, and he wears a T-shirt, it's going to make learning to fly head-up tough, or vice-versa for a tighter pair of pants.

Get ready to be offended again.

What are you, stupid? The amount of fabric the guy will need is based on the ratio of his height to weight, not the current trends in freeflying.

Sure, the top VRW teams all wear the same, slim fitting suits. So do all the top RW teams, and what do all of those top athletes have in common, they're all althletes, and in top physical shape. If any one of those guys was to pack on 15 or 20lbs, their slim fitting suit would be hing up in favor of a more baggy option (or the guys would wear weights).

The point is that what this guy should wear is anyones guess without knowing his size, and the size of the people he jumps with. If he makes 90% of his jumps with his 100lb girlfriend, and he's a more averave sized male, your 'honest opinion' that less baggy is better would be wrong.

All of that aside, he should also be looking to balance the drag between his upper and lower body. If his pants are extra baggy, and he wears a T-shirt, it's going to make learning to fly head-up tough, or vice-versa for a tighter pair of pants.

I'm not offended...

I jump with people of all sizes. I jump with 90 lb girls and 200 lb guys.... I, along with most everyone else I jump with can adjust fall rate to match others, even when wearing the same FF suit on every jump.

Ultimately the OP will become a better FF'r if he learns to fly his body and not his suit...

Wearing baggy clothes can become a 'crutch' that might slow down his progress in the long run. More often than not, people that 'aren't in the jump' aren't there because their too slow.

If infact he is a 200lb guy that ONLY jumps with his 90lb girlfriend then yeah... get a baggy suit.

in the long run

Before you can comment on the long run, you need to be in it for the long run to start with. Even better, be in it long enough to see others start off and make it for the 'long run' so you can draw your conclusions for both your own experience, and what you observe from others.

The 'fly your body' comments are notoriously from those of an average sized body. If you have ever worked with, trained, filmed, or mentored a jumper who was either above or below average, you realize that 'fly your body' is extremely short sighted, and not the path to success. There's a reason that camera guys and AFF Is say 'dress for success', and not 'fly your body'.

in the long run

Before you can comment on the long run, you need to be in it for the long run to start with. Even better, be in it long enough to see others start off and make it for the 'long run' so you can draw your conclusions for both your own experience, and what you observe from others.

The 'fly your body' comments are notoriously from those of an average sized body. If you have ever worked with, trained, filmed, or mentored a jumper who was either above or below average, you realize that 'fly your body' is extremely short sighted, and not the path to success. There's a reason that camera guys and AFF Is say 'dress for success', and not 'fly your body'.

Dave, believe it or not I went through my own experience learning to sit fly... Thankfully I learned quickly that I would be better off with a closer fitting suit. This guy will likely soon be learning to sit fly as well. I gave him my own recent personal account. Feel free to give him your personal account of learning to sit fly as well.

I made a general comment that any half intelligent person can adjust or pertain to themselves... I don't feel the need to address every extreme factor in every post, that's what people like you are here for.

You two are debating two completely different things.

Flapping material tosses the body around. That goes for Freefly, RW, etc. All the disciplines have had a trend to "smoother is cleaner". Usually means the suits get more and more form fitting over time. Makes perfect sense and it doesn't just apply to fit, medium size/build bodies.

Dave's note is about matching fall rates requiring us to have "dress for success" clothing fits is a trade off to best aerodynamics. But everyone flies better (individually) with smoother contours. But if they can't stay down/up with the others, it doesn't help that they are better able to be precise and still if the goal is turning formations and getting docks with someone else.

My position - 'fly your body' and learn as much range as you can. Use weights before trying to change suit fit to something sloppy. But if all that sucks, then do what you gotta do - even if you look like a big flapping tent in freefall. And, Finally, I don't care what sport you do, you're better at it fit than out of shape - baseball being the only official exception.

So you're both right. But you're a lot more courteous about it.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

im confused!

i have freefly pants that i havent jumped yet ... but what upper body clothing should i have??

The only thing I will say is that you need to ensure you get something that will tuck well into your pants and NOT come untucked and cover your handles in a sit.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

The only thing I will say is that you need to ensure you get something that will tuck well into your pants and NOT come untucked and cover your handles in a sit.

Like a onesie? with snaps

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Like a onesie? with snaps

That's an excellent idea! ;)

Practical and stylish!
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA