captainpooby

Howard Dean peddles hate for cash At "Howard's Hatefest"...

Howard Dean peddles hate for cash
At "Howard's Hatefest"...

Who Says Dean and His Ilk Have No Sense of Humor?

DEBORAH ORIN at the New York Post reports on the "no-videos-allowed" Dean fundraiser in New York in HOWARD'S HATEFEST. [Emphasis added.]

[T]here were no TV cameras last Monday night when pro-Dean comics took the stage on West 18th St. in Chelsea at a $250-a-head Dean fund-raiser (reduced from $500) and competed to see how often they could use the F-word in the same sentence.

Comic Judy Gold dissed President Bush as "this piece of living, breathing s---" and Janeane Garofalo ridiculed the Medicare prescription-drug bill that Bush had just signed as the "you can go f--- yourself, Grandma" bill.

Just a few days before, rival John Kerry had used the F-word to attack Bush in Rolling Stone magazine in an apparent bid to sound hip, but Dean's event was "enough to make John Kerry blush," as rival Dick Gephardt's spokesman Erik Smith tartly put it.

And the Dean event got a lot worse. Comedian David Cross used the N-word for blacks in a disjointed "joke" apparently based on the premise that it's fine for a pro-Dean comic to use racial epithets as long as the goal is to claim Republicans are racists.

Comic Kate Clinton evoked Michael Jackson (hit with new child-sex-abuse charges) and said: "Frankly, I'm far more frightened of Condoleezza Rice" - the Bush national security adviser who has nothing in common with Jackson except being black.

Rice seems to drive liberal woman comics especially nuts. Sandra Bernhard insulted her in racial terms with a "Yes Massa" accent at another Dean fundraiser the same night. Perhaps the pro-Dean comics find it unbearable that the most powerful black woman in U.S. history, close friend to the president and his wife - and a brilliant classical pianist to boot - dares to be a Republican.

Actually, there was something to offend everyone. Dean rival Joe Lieberman got ridiculed for being unable to campaign on Jewish holidays because he's Orthodox. Vice President Dick Cheney was accused of talking "like Mary Jo Buttafuoco."

Cheney's wife Lynne was called "Lon Chaney" - the long-ago movie star who specialized in playing ghouls in horror films. And Cheney's daughter Mary, who is gay, was called "a big lezzie."

Even the apolitical "jokes" were ugly - like a suggestion that it's bizarre to see an Asian baby with Asian parents because so many Asian babies are adopted by whites.

Dean was present and later deplored the racist tenor of the jokes, but took the cash and let credit go.

There has got to be video of that somewhere...got to...got to..!! Oh well, reap what you sow Dean. This will return on you ten-fold at the rate you keep spewing it. [:/]
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Stop being so logical Paige! You'll scare the lefties!
:P
The tenor of the jokes at this event - as reported, wasn't there myself - shows the true racist nature of the left. They have no vested interest in promoting a society free of racial prejudice.
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Stop being so logical Paige! You'll scare the lefties!
:P
The tenor of the jokes at this event - as reported, wasn't there myself - shows the true racist nature of the left. They have no vested interest in promoting a society free of racial prejudice.

If the racism went away, the left wouldn't have as many lies to tell the "minorities" to get them to vote for them. Besides, they wouldn't have anyone to tell what to do anymore.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I have the title for a new book that should piss off Michael Moore.

Hate and the hating haters that spew it.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

shows the true racist nature of the left. They have no vested interest in promoting a society free of racial prejudice.

Easy Vin!!!!!

A liiiiiiiiiiitle judgemental yourself. I lean a bit to the left myself!

Hence the skull and crossbones.

J/K :D

Hey look its a far off picture of me ----> /
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

I feel disgust for ANYONE who espouses racism in ANY FORM... But these people were supposedly comedians. Have you ever heard some of the diatribes come comedians make.. as oppsed to real racists like you people on the right, true died in the wool BIGOTS.

Read this article it mirrors many of my own feelings in growing up with southern roots.

Personal Voices: Republicans Don't Really Care about Improving Race Relations

By Jackson Thoreau, AlterNet
January 10, 2003

I'm a blond-haired, blue-eyed, middle-class, middle-aged white guy who has lived most of his life in Dallas, Texas – probably the country's bastion of old-school racism.

Because of my whitebread appearance, many white Republicans have felt comfortable enough around me during various times in my adult life to let their guard down and express their true feelings on matters of race.

Big mistake. This article is part of my payback for having to endure all those sickening comments. It's part of my payback for Republicans refusing to heed my responses that I don't appreciate their racist comments and them acting like there's something wrong with me because I don't play along.

Trent Lott is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to racism in the Republican Party.

I can't count the number of times some Anglo conservative has used the N-word in reference to African-Americans in front of me, even toward those they root for, such as Dallas Cowboys running back Emmitt Smith.

I can't count the number of racial "jokes" or references some white City Council member, police officer, businessman or other establishment figure – whom I know to be a Republican – has told to my face. A popular "joke" during this time of year by such racist Republicans is, "What are you doing for Martin Luther 'Coon' Day?" Or they will snicker, "Have you learned anything during 'Black Ass' History Month?"

I've sat at high school football games in Republican-dominated towns as Anglo adults in the stands taunted the lone black player on the opposing team using the N-word. I've attended all-white meetings – as a reporter, not a participant – at which elitist Republicans have discussed getting around the Voting Rights Act by lobbying for requirements that voters have to own property. I didn't need someone to spell out what they were talking about – they wanted some way to keep blacks from voting.

In the 1920s, Dallas had more Ku Klux Klan members per capita than any other large U.S. city. The city had an actual "segregation of the races" clause written into its charter as late as 1968. Peter Gent, a former Cowboy player and author of classics like "North Dallas Forty," says he was shocked to arrive from the Midwest in the mid-1960s to witness such blatant Jim Crow segregation. The team's black players had to drive an extra hour from their segregated South Dallas neighborhoods to reach practice in North Dallas. Through lawsuits, protests, and other measures, the blatant racist policies are gone, but they have been replaced with subtle, back-door racism that persists in still all-white country clubs and subdivisions in the suburbs.

Sure, the white racists around here used to be mostly Democrats, who hated Lincoln-style Republicans who forced Reconstruction on them after the Civil War. But most of those have left the Democratic Party for the friendlier-for-them confines of the Republican Party, where they don't have to rub elbows with African-Americans at the multicultural Democratic functions that contrast with Republican events like black and white keys on a piano.

Name a white public figure who espouses racist views, and the vast majority of the time he or she is affiliated with the Republican Party. David Duke, the former Klansman and Louisiana state representative, chaired the Republican Parish Executive Committee of the largest Republican parish in Louisiana as late as 2000, when he skipped the country and eventually was convicted of fraud and tax evasion. Many Republicans are associated with the openly racist Council for Conservative Citizens, including outgoing Georgia Congressman Bob Barr, who has spoken before the segregationist group, and Republican National Committee leader Buddy Witherspoon, who has resisted calls that he resign his CCC membership.

As the site, evilGOPbastards.com points out, Supreme Court Chief Justice William Rehnquist, a Republican, launched his career as a GOP operative in 1964 by harassing black voters. Republican Attorney General John Ashcroft opposed racial integration and the appointment of African Americans to offices as Missouri governor and attorney general and has uttered pro-Confederate views.

The Republican Party in general launched a strategy during the late 1960s to capture the southern racist vote by opposing affirmative action, supporting the rights of states like South Carolina to fly the Confederate flag in front of public buildings, and similar positions. Dubya Bush himself spoke before the segregationist Bob Jones University in South Carolina, genuflected before the Confederate flag, and helped implement the racist Willie Horton ad during the 1988 presidential campaign of Bush Sr., who approved the racist ad after lobbying by his son. Both Bushes have appointed many racists – both subtle and overt – to high offices, who now work to further erode civil rights.

White House strategist Karl Rove also aided with the Horton ad and oversaw the racist 2000 South Carolina smear campaign against Sen. John McCain, which alluded to McCain's "black child," his adopted daughter from Bangladesh. While in Congress from 1979 until 1989, Dick Cheney opposed measures strengthening laws against housing discrimination and collecting hate-crime data. Cheney supported apartheid in the racist South African regime, even as it crumbled. Republican politicians in Georgia and South Carolina, such as Sonny Perdue, the new Republican governor of Georgia, were elected in 2002 on platforms that included "restoring pride" in the Confederate flag.

Who can forget the Florida 2000 recount battle, when white supremacists rallied for Republicans who embraced their support? What about Florida Republican Gov. Jeb Bush and former Bush state campaign co-chair, Secretary of State (now Congresswoman) Katherine Harris' openly racist system of purges before the 2000 election that took the names of mostly African-American voters off the rolls?

What about the police roadblocks near black precincts on election days? And how about the Republican warnings in communities across the country about impending black voter fraud that usually occur a few days before an election, not to mention misleading fliers circulated by Republican operatives in African-American neighborhoods telling them of different days to vote or wrongly trying to intimidate them against voting by warning that their criminal backgrounds and parking tickets will be checked?

Republicans still think highly enough of Lott to make him chairman of the Senate Rules Committee, despite his public banishment as Senate Majority Leader and a racist record that includes far more than a few errant comments. As our last elected president, Bill Clinton, recently said, "[Lott] just embarrassed [Republican leaders] by saying in Washington what they do on the back roads every day."

And as Jack Hughes of evilGOPbastards.com writes, the majority of Republican senators who elected Lott as their leader "must either share his views [which were so often repeated that nobody could plead ignorance of Lott's sympathies], or were at the very least 'comfortable' with a leader that held those beliefs."

Indeed, many senators, such as new Majority Leader Bill Frist and Don Nickles, the first Senate Republican to call for Lott's resignation as majority leader, have civil rights voting records nearly identical to Lott's, according to the NAACP. One of the worst is Jefferson Sessions of Alabama.

Sessions has called a black assistant U.S. attorney "boy" and a white civil rights attorney a "disgrace to his race." As a prosecutor, Sessions pursued civil rights workers on phony voter fraud charges. As Alabama attorney general, he again pursued allegations of voter fraud in African-American communities, looked the other way in Anglo communities, and refused to aggressively investigate burnings and bombings of black churches. He also said he thought KKK members were "OK" until he heard some might have smoked marijuana and charged the NAACP with being "un-American" and "Communist-inspired."

Despite this record, Bush and other Republicans have campaigned for Sessions.

Frist has his own racial skeletons. He was a member of the all-white Belle Meade Country Club in Nashville, Tenn., before running for the Senate in 1994. Some believe the National Republican Senatorial Committee headed by Frist was behind the intimidation of minority voters in recent years.

Then there is Republican Sen. George Allen of Virginia, who as governor of that state, issued a proclamation recognizing "Confederate History and Heritage Month." Allen, the new National Republican Senatorial Committee chairman, also displays a Confederate flag in his living room, according to a recent New York Times column.

Moving over to the U.S. House, there is Cass Ballenger. The white Republican from North Carolina recently told the Charlotte Observer that he had "segregationist" feelings and called former U.S. Rep. Cynthia McKinney, an African-American Democrat from Georgia, a "bitch." In an ensuing radio interview, Ballenger, the Deputy Majority Whip and a member of the House Republican Steering Committee (who has a black lawn jockey in his yard that an aide recently painted white), refused to apologize to McKinney, calling her divisive, pushy, and "less than patriotic."

"One must wonder whether [Ballenger] would have made the same statement about a white congressman he considered to be pushy or divisive," said Kim Gandy, president of the National Organization of Women. "I think not. His statements demonstrated beliefs about race and gender that do not belong in the U.S. Congress."

Rep. Tom Craddick, the new Texas House Republican leader, was one of a small group to vote against establishing a Martin Luther King Jr. state holiday in 1987. He repeated his opposition to the holiday in a 1991 vote that clarified the day. Unlike Lott, Craddick has yet to publicly apologize for those votes.

In Rochester, N.Y., Monroe County Executive Jack Doyle, a white Republican, recently derided Mayor William Johnson Jr., a black Democrat. "If there was a mayor that looked like me, it would be a whole different landscape," Doyle told a local reporter.

A recent article by USA Today cited several other examples of recent insensitive remarks made by Republican public officials and none by Democratic officials, because reporters could not find any – believe me, they would have included some by Democrats if they found them. Democratic Sens. Robert Byrd of West Virginia and Fritz Hollings of South Carolina have made some racist remarks in the past, but not recently enough to be included in the article.

A 2001 Gallup Poll found that 60 percent of white respondents believed that black Americans were not treated the same as whites in this country. That rocketed to 91 percent among African-American respondents. Some 47 percent of black respondents said they experienced discrimination in stores, by the police, and in other situations in the previous month.

I've long wondered how many people there are who secretly harbor racist views that they would denounce in public. I recently contacted the authors of 20 postings to white supremacist Web sites, asking if I could quote them using their real names. Only three replied granting permission to use their names.

Jessica Coleman of Texas claimed her grandfather was "a powerful knight [of the KKK] in South Carolina," and she thought all blacks should be shipped "back to Africa and all of the wetbacks back to Mexico." Tom of New Jersey, who would not give his last name, wrote about a high school field trip to Philadelphia, which sickened him so much to see blacks that he "wanted to take out a machine gun and shoot everyone of them." Are these people really just aberrations to be ignored again until the next major race-related blow-up in our country? Or do they represent the suppressed voices inside the average white Republican – and, yes, some Democrats – who don't dare let such thoughts reach the surface?

That's why I call Republicans like Bush and Cheney and William Bennett closet racists; they publicly embrace Martin Luther King Jr. as they call for a colorblind society, yet live in their mostly-white neighborhoods and practice racism when it suits their political agenda. They like to point out that lynching black people is wrong as they oppose proposals that would do more to bring about real equality, and conduct racist campaigns – as Bush did against McCain in South Carolina in 2000 – to gain political victory.

The subtle and overt racism of the Republican Party is a stench they have to live with. To eradicate that smell, they must admit that racism in their party goes far beyond Lott and make at least as much progress on advancing race relations as the Democratic Party has.

As the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday approaches, these subtle racist Republicans will talk as if they had supported King's vision of a colorblind society and African-American rights all along, when their records and actions speak otherwise. That's just more of the Republican con job. Don't buy it.

Jackson Thoreau is co-author of "We Will Not Get Over It: Restoring a Legitimate White House." The e-book can now be downloaded at Fight the Right. Email Thoreau at [email protected].

Oh, come ON!

Yes Racism exists, and YES it is wrong, but don't go trying to make your self feel better because you think you fight the good fight.

It exists just as readily on the left as it does on the right. Stereotyping, which is what you are trying to do with this article, is a form of bigottry.

And you CANNOT tell me that there are not racist in the minority community either, against other minorities, "whites", even of thier own race.

Don't even begin to try to equate the Right to to Racism until you can say that your "holier than thou" Left is completely devoid of the same.

In other words, before you tell me how bad my back yard is, clean up your own.

Who wrote the book to annoy MM?

It is ok to make racist, classist jokes, because you are a democrat comedian, in a "POLITICAL" event promoting someone's candidacy to the presidency of the US. I guess that there should have been small captions on the video "any similarities with actual persons is mere coincidence, but if this is not sufficient, it is ok, we are comedians" (Forgot to use my glasses.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

Hit a raw nerve there did I ... I think the greater evil is right there where you are trying to moralize from. Yes there is racism within minority groups How many of them do you need to lynch to make them not have those attitudes. Why is it there ask the racist police departments that harrass minorities DAILY. I have seen far less of it on the left than I have on the right. It is evidenced by WHO the people like the Klan support..Who the CCC supports..... who the White Christian Identity movement support...since you do not mind having such gleaming examples of Americanism in your camp rather than weeding them out and stopping it you foster it. You revel in it... you WALLOW in it. Who are the majority of the homophobes like so many on this website. Almost invariably it will be one of your ULTRA RIGHTIES fellow travellers who is destroying this country and making it far easier for the Ultra-Right and the Ashcroft DOJ to finally stop this experiment in democracy. A recent article by the Good General Franks about the impending demise of democratic values and a military takeover if another attack occurs harkens back to similar plans drawn up by the National Security Council in the Reagan administration with people like Oliver North and the shadow government. When President Johnson helped pass Civil Rights legislation in the 1960s he commented that: "Well, there goes the South." He meant, of course, that now the South would become Republican as they now saw the Democrats as the party standing up for the blacks.

But I guess if you are part of the in group.. you will do ok in the impending military dictatorship. You dont think this can happen??? Think again we are only a couple terrorist attacks away from thisJohn Ashcroft WET DREAM.

In group- out group.. psycology... tells us a lot about how the coming years will be in this country.

Mr. Thoreau seems to be an intolerant racist. It doesn't matter what color he is.

There was a lot of hate speech in that diatribe.

I understand that it is irritating to not be in power anymore.

As I said, Hate and the hating haters that spew it.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Raw nerve, yes.

You are right, though, the right does recieve endorsements from some rather questionable groups. But lumping everyone into a stereo-type that I have worked a good part of my life to get away from, ascinine.

My "Elders" come from Colorado, and Oklahoma and Kansas. Most of my family votes democratic.

I was brought up in a racist family. All the elders that I was supposed to listen to and respect beat into my head that it was wrong to befriend anyone of color. If you have had to overcome an obstacle like that, you would find your blanket statement as insulting as I did.

On the other hand, I think it is comical that people like Condaleeza Rice, and Colin Powell are persecuted by thier own race because they don't speak "Ebonics" and went to school and made something of them selves. *Shrug* With that way of thinking these oppressed minorities will never get to where they should be in the scheme of things because it is them and those that represent them that don't want them to succeed. If they do, against the will of their "piers" like Malcom X and Sharpton, and Jackson, they are labeled traitors to thier race. Kind of Ironic isn't it?

[Jessie Jackson voice]" We don't get the respect we deserve, we are being stunted in our growth" "Disregard what CR and CP say to you, it's traitorous(sp.), you should not respect them, for they covet the white man.[/JJ voice]

It is quite clear you don't realize you still have the rights you profess you don't have.

Where is all the hate you have coming from?[:/]Are you a candidate for Gitmo? Where is the impending demise of democratic values, and a military take over?.
And for your John Ashcroft's wet dreams, got news for you, congress passed the bill. Just as the constitution allows it to.

You don't cease to amaze me, being quick with a guilty verdict, and imposing a Racist label to anyone because they do not agree with this you. Yet it is Ok for you to hate what you call Ultra righties, and REPUBLICANS.

Quite confusing:S
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

So now we are accused of wanting to lynch minorities, reveling (sp?) and wallowing in racism, and homophobia!

Talk about striking a nerve!

The Republican Nat'l Comm should take out full page print ads and TV spots just to repeat that story from the New York Post. No further commentary is needed to send the far left into convulsive fits.

You're right dude...er...left....er...I mean correct. LOL.

Left leaning people aren't racist by nature. Skydive XXL sure as hell isn't. I should have used a different wording. I DO feel the campaign tactics by the Democratic Party on the national stage with regards to race are both racist in nature and designed to further the racial stratification of America. The fact that Al Sharpton is not completely ostricized by all members of the party's leadership cadre in and of itself gives them no credibility when talking about civil rights in America.

Makes me sad because a two party system is a good thing (three would be better I think) and such tactics are a large part of the many reasons Zell Miller said it best - it is a national party no more. Liberalism needs a new party to represent it. It isn't a bad philosophy in and of itself, as much as I disagere with it at the national level. The party that represents this philosophy has become so unpalatable that it is harming its own ability to implement the philosophy for which it is supposed to stand.
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

So now we are accused of wanting to lynch minorities, reveling (sp?) and wallowing in racism, and homophobia!

I always thought that prejudice had to do with pre-judging people based on their sex, race, or something. Now you can be slandered for your opinions before you open your mouth. Think of the time it saves. But you can only be prejudiced if you are from the right. ;)

Of course, the right had to take Womens Rights abuse off the platform. I think Willie pretty much pried that plank up and spanked a few with it.

The funny thing is how quiet the Left was. Where was the voice of the womens rights movement? I guess it goes back to the old truism "Politics makes strange bedfellows". I just thought it didn't mean that literally.

ITs not hate I have for republicans. Its very simple though as someone here has as thier tag line

The friend of my enemy is my enemy. People like you who espouse the old McCarthyisms and the old hatreds will NOT make this a better country and only seek to destroy this country. I know you come from elsewhere and have embraced that ULTRA RIGHT as your own. I guess in your country its more of a norm. Racism takes many forms in this country.. as so many on the right seem to forget. The Republican party has an upwelling of support in CA because so many good americans decry all the hispanics.. In the NW its anit-indian sentiments brought on by the tribes using the rights given to them by the treaties in the 1800's. In the cities of the NE is rampant racism against blacks.. more so than I EVER saw in the south... at least personally. THere is anti-semitism in many parts of this country.. the old battle cry of the klan dies hard in some parts of rural america. And sexism is alive and well in so many threads here It .. to use Vinnys favorite term....is DISGUSTING.

The Patriot Act is there... brought about by fear after 9/11 and too many people jumped on its bandwagon out of that fear. Its there for the government to use when ever and how ever it deems to.

Where is all the hate you have coming from?Are you a candidate for Gitmo?

And dont you FUCKING dare accuse me of being unamerican you ULTRA right wing sorry excuse for a human being. I served my country for 8 years in the armed forces of this country. I did not have to I volunteered to do so and did so honorably. And this RIGHT WING BULLSHIT of if you do not agree with the current administration then you are unamerican is in and of itself the MOST UNAMERICAN thing you can profess.

I know you just hate to face your past.. look up the history of the Klan...I sure as hell bet they will not be voting for ANY democratic or Green party candidates... Vinny always loves to point out any small bit of hypocrisy on the left oh and any supposed racism as well...sure they probably have some over there on the left.. but FAR less than you real honest to god hypocrites and racists on the right.

I just bet it annoys the shit out of you when someone would dare to usurp your rights even for a moment.