skymama

Computer Q:How do I layer things?

I'm back to working on our company brochures. I need to put a small picture of the exterior elevation of a house on a blank spot on a floor plan sheet. What program would I use and is it very hard to do? I tried reducing the exterior picture on the copier and then scanning it, but it came out too fuzzy.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I have Photoshop, but it's just on the computer, I don't know how to do much on it. I'm trying to read the Help menu now on layering. :S
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Neither program is super at brochures. Usually Quark, Pagemaker, and In-Design are the industry standards.
but... I think your best shot at success lies with Photoshop. Especially if you plan on getting the brochure professionally printed.

Printshops like resolutions of 300 dpi.
The file size will be huge, so don't plan on emailing it
Provide the .pdf version of the file. That way minor corrections can be made at the print shop.
It's a good idea to call the printshop and ask them what they want before you start work.

If you plan on printing the brochures in house, then MS Word can work ok too. It has some built in brochure templates that you might find handy.

The tricky thing when working with word is getting the image to stay were you put it. There's a couple buttons to click to get it to do that. Once done though... it's pretty easy to move stuff around.

I can help with the How To details once you've chosen a program.

Regardless of which program you choose, bank on this taking longer than you expected... and everone from the stockboy to the president's wife will have opinions on it.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

pretty simple actually.

open your original file, the big one (or scan it) in photoshop.

open or scan your inlay pic in any program, photoshop or IE or whatever. if in IE, right click>copy. if in photoshop select small image, CTRL-A (select all), CTRL-C (copy), select large photo, CTRL-V (paste).

your small photo will now be on top of your large photo with a 'marching ants' selection marquee. you can resize right there. inside the selection 'marching ants' rightclick and select free transform. now you have handles to stretch and rotate your smaller image. you can also just click and drage the smaller image around for placement.

once you are happy with the product, hit the enter key to apply the transform.

i don't have ps in front of me so i may have misspoken a bit but you get the picture.
namaste, motherfucker.

Thanks guys! I'm doing the actual layout in Publisher and it's working pretty well with just the floor plans. But, the big boss wants the elevations on there too, so I didn't really know how to do that. I'll work on it some more thanks to your help now. :)