theonlyski

Got a sewing machine

Found a Sailrite LSZ-1 for $300.

That's not bad since new ones cost at least three times that. I picked one up a couple months ago and love it.

It'll even do limited harness work with 5cord and a bigger needle, but the bobbin is too small to hold very much and you're limited by the foot (you can eek maybe an extra 1/8" by adjusting things). Locking the balance wheel to the shaft gives it incredible punch, but you have to disengage the lock to wind bobbins.

Check out http://www.sailrite.com/ for extras and supplies, their prices are pretty good too.
This isn't flying, its falling with style.

Found a Sailrite LSZ-1 for $300.

That's not bad since new ones cost at least three times that. I picked one up a couple months ago and love it.

It'll even do limited harness work with 5cord and a bigger needle, but the bobbin is too small to hold very much and you're limited by the foot (you can eek maybe an extra 1/8" by adjusting things). Locking the balance wheel to the shaft gives it incredible punch, but you have to disengage the lock to wind bobbins.

Check out http://www.sailrite.com/ for extras and supplies, their prices are pretty good too.

Actually, that asshole reneged me and raised the price to $475, but that's still less than half the new price. This was one of the first gen ones, from way back when they first started (circa 1999) confirmed by Matt (at sailrite).

I don't have the locking balance wheel... yet. I could see it punching 5 cord, but I wouldn't want to push too much thru it. I mainly just wanted a zig-zag and this works great. Just gotta figure out the thread fraying thing (have some ideas).

Now I gotta find a table for it. :S
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

in my experience thread fraying was usually result of too much tension

nice looking machine, too bad you now need (want) a table for it :)

I see that the retaining ring cap spring has some pretty good nicks in it, so I ordered a couple extras. Its amazing how a $6 part turns into an $80 order :S.

The customer service with sailrite is amazing, they know how to take care of the customers!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

I was gonna say the same thing. You might find you will have to tinker with some of the settings on it to get it dialed in perfect to your liking or to get it to be reliable. Nothing sucks worse than getting 3/4 of the way done and having it jam up on you.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I was gonna say the same thing. You might find you will have to tinker with some of the settings on it to get it dialed in perfect to your liking or to get it to be reliable. Nothing sucks worse than getting 3/4 of the way done and having it jam up on you.

The tension seems to be fine, the stitches are even on both sides. After talking to Matt, he squared me away with some videos on youtube that are VERY in depth on fine tuning the machine. Seems to be working a little bit better, but the cap spring is very marred up and he said that would be his first thought (actually suggested I look at it and said he would be about 90% sure that it was damaged, and it was)

Replacement parts are on the way, I think I've got everything that I will need to get it humming away. All and all, its a good machine and built like a freaking tank!

Its amazing how a $6 part turns into an $80 order

As I posted before, the first of 8 machines.

Let me add: You're just getting started. :P

Yeah yeah yeah... Tell me about it.

Seems some emery cloth has fixed a good part of the issues, no more fraying on the e-thread... but apparently I can't do a tight zig-zag at full speed... just broke the needle. (not sure what caused the needle break though)

Guess it'll have to wait till I get the parts in, as this machine doesn't accept the singer needles I have.:S

Well, think I figured out the thread fraying (haven't been fucking with it much for a while)... rookie mistake I ordered a bunch of parts for it, and never CHANGED THE NEEDLE. :$:$

Works fine now, so far.

I never changed the needle because I was having timing and space issues and didn't want to scuff up a new needle trying to figure it out... Apparently I forgot to put a new needle in... I noticed this when I looked at the needles I bought for the machine and saw that they were all still in the case. :$:$:$

So far, only sewing a couple pieces of ty-8 to test, it seems to be running smooth, not skipping any stitches (which it was doing before in a zigzag) and not shredding the thread.

The way I learned was the first thing to do is change the needle. If that doesn’t work move to a different machine. B|

Sparky

Hahahahaha ;)

I wanna join the same school
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Well, 2 down, and I should be set for a while.

Well, 2 down, and I should be set for a while.

Well shit... Just got a 143w2.:$

In my defense it was the table, motor, machine for $250 plus the half tank of gas to go get it and come back.

Grainger should be able help you.

I wanted to slow down my Pfaff 138, they hooked me up with a couple pulleys and a belt.

I don't think I'm going to need to slow it down any, I was just curious about the belt, as I was pretty sure the one I used before was more round than v-shaped.

I'll probably bug MEL for some parts. Any ideas as to the motor issue? I wouldn't be surprised at all if its just the brushes needing to be replaced.

I've always used leather belts on my 31-15. They work much better than V-belts. Rounded leather belts are available through Singer. The pullys weren't made for V-belts.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

The pullys weren't made for V-belts.

You mean the pulleys on the machine head were not made for v-belts. Virtually every pulley that you will find on modern motors will be built for v-belts.

I changed to v-belts on my 31-15's before I sold them and they worked just fine. No more stretching leather belts or punching holes in them. >:(

YMMV, or some folks prefer redheads & some prefer blondes,

JerryBaumchen

Yessir! Thank you for the help. On my 31-15, the pully on the machine head and on the motor are for leather belts. The guy I bought it from had a V-belt on it and it slipped, a lot. I replaced it with a leather belt, after talking with a Singer repairman and it works great. I must have a really old one! :D Like you said, I've noticed the 'newer' machines are set-up for V-belts.
Thanks again, for your in-put.

Chuck

I wanted to slow down my Pfaff 138, they hooked me up with a couple pulleys and a belt.

I don't think I'm going to need to slow it down any, I was just curious about the belt, as I was pretty sure the one I used before was more round than v-shaped.

I'll probably bug MEL for some parts. Any ideas as to the motor issue? I wouldn't be surprised at all if its just the brushes needing to be replaced.

I've always used leather belts on my 31-15. They work much better than V-belts. Rounded leather belts are available through Singer. The pullys weren't made for V-belts.

Chuck

FWIW, both the 31-15 and the 143w2 are using V-belts and with no apparent loss of performance or power. All of the pullies are V shaped so I could see using a round or V belt in them. The round would probably sit deeper into the valley, but like I said, I don't see a reason for them.

Chuck

FWIW, both the 31-15 and the 143w2 are using V-belts and with no apparent loss of performance or power. All of the pullies are V shaped so I could see using a round or V belt in them. The round would probably sit deeper into the valley, but like I said, I don't see a reason for them.

I've kept my 31-15 'original' and really have not, till now been aware that that machine was set-up for V-belts.
The old adage is true... you learn something new, every day. B|

edit to add: I need to get-out more! [:/]

Chuck