RichyR

Lost Pilot chute - count?

Last jump I fumbled for my PC, felt like around 5s, but was probably more like 3. Big moment of panic and possibility of going to reserve flashed before me.

I know general advice is to reach for it twice, and if not go to EP. However I find feeling around for it can't really be measured in number of "reaches".

If I used a count to maintain awareness, what would you recommend as a decent limit "searching" for it before going to EPs....5s? Also, can anyone see anything wrong with this?

I would fumble around looking for it until about 1000 ft above your decision altitude. I couldn't find mine on a jump and didn't pull my reserve until 2000 ft, but only because I lost altitude awareness. Chances are you won't have good altitude awareness when you're frantically looking for your pc, so giving it a couple quick tries is all the time you should take before going for your reserve. Do a solo jump and do practice pulls the entire jump.

I'm not your instructor so this is just the opinion of some guy on the internet and should be taken as such.

I don't think you should "fumble" for the PC handle at all. The reason it is two "reaches" and not 5 seconds of fumbling is because the pilot chute is supposed to be in the same place on every jump prior to deployment. You should be able to reach there without looking and find it. If you reach for it and don't find it, fumbling around just moves your hand away from where it should be. If you go back into a relaxed arch and calmly reach again, you should find it on your second reach. If you don't find it on your second reach then there is something wrong. That something could be with the gear or with you, but either way there's something wrong and you are running out of time. At that point it's time for EPs and learning to occur.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

mcordell

I'm not your instructor so this is just the opinion of some guy on the internet and should be taken as such.

Make that two guys on the internet.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Thanks

Last night I thought about things, and came to a similar conclusion i.e. using two "reaches" rather than a count.

I'll practice some dummy pulls on the next few jumps to build more confidence. Usually I don't have a problem finding it instantly, and the split second not finding it sort of through me.

May I suggest a more methodical technique for grabbing you pilot-chute?

Start with a large, open hand with fingers spread wide. Grab your right buttock. Slide your hand up to the corner of your container. Close your fingers around the pilot-chute handle.

riggerrob

May I suggest a more methodical technique for grabbing you pilot-chute?

Start with a large, open hand with fingers spread wide. Grab your right buttock firmly. slowly Slide your hand up to the corner of your container. gently Close your fingers around the pilot-chute handle.

There you go.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

Along with doing practice touches in freefall, I'd recommend you get in the habit of doing handle checks several times before you jump as well. I always do one in the loading area before getting on the plane, at 7,000', and as I'm heading to the door. It serves 2 purposes: 1, you double-check that your handles are where you're expecting them to be, and 2, it builds muscle memory of knowing exactly where the handles are and finding them in the correct order. Things are *slightly* different in freefall with your butt and jumpsuit up by your container (and your cutaway and reserve handles will be in a slightly different spot under canopy), but it's a big help in training your brain exactly where your handle is.

As a student with 9 jumps, you should do what your instructors say in this situation.

Think it through: how much altitude do you lose if you fumble around for 5 seconds, and where does that put you if you have to start your emergency procedures?

At my dz, the plan is for students to pull 500' above the minimum pull altitude for a student. Even if they go slow/take two tries/misread their analog altimeter or have the altitude shown be off by 100ish feet, they should still be pulling at or above the minimum altitude set by USPA - which gives them more time to deal with malfunctions under canopy. Taking even more time to pull just puts you low and in a less than ideal situation.

Richy,

Remember, your rig is probably club gear, and it might vary from one rig to another, the exact location of Hackey/PC as you called it.

When you reach for it on the ground and in the air might also give a difference.

There is a technique that I have heard being tought - Reach once, if nothing, feel from your back onto your rig. If you hit the corner, and nothing there, EP immedietly. Else you will normally find it.

You might be sittting with a Hackey/handle that was pushed inside the BOC with exit, or some funny thing.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

If I used a count to maintain awareness, what would you recommend as a decent limit "searching" for it before going to EPs....5s? Also, can anyone see anything wrong with this?

First, what RiggerRob wrote in post #10 is the usual teaching method. Second, reaching for your hackey twice and not finding it takes about 5 seconds. Third, another guy on the Internet... talk to your Instructors.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Cheers.

I make sure I jump with the same school rig every time. And already make sure I'm regularly practicing pulls when waiting around rigged up. Check on plane, going to the door etc.

I've decided to ditch the reasonably thick cycling gloves I've been using, and go with some thinner ones. I've always had slight doubts about how much feel they let me have, despite instructors saying they should be ok if I can feel the handle, which I have been able to.

I've been drilling visualising two reaches then immediately going to EPs (also drilling with hard pull). Think it's just made me realise the thought process of panic that can result in the event of a possible high speed mal, when I wasn't expecting it.

Good lesson.

Doesn't help that I listened to a podcast the day after talking about someone that went to AAD fire trying to find his PC.