AndrzejC

Icarus Canopies after-sale service - be carefully

If you get new lines, you might just want to get some Spectra lines. They're thinner and smoother than Vectran and you'll probably have less slider hang-up with quicker openings. However my opening are just like yours in your video and that's how I like it.

No, I don't believe that's correct. You may want to check your information on this one mate. Different line types come in different sizes.

If you get new lines, you might just want to get some Spectra lines. They're thinner and smoother than Vectran and you'll probably have less slider hang-up with quicker openings. However my opening are just like yours in your video and that's how I like it.

did you see John LeBlanc's video about lines ?
There is a reason why I like Vectran.
Spectra is good for my reserves :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

did you see John LeBlanc's video about lines ?
There is a reason why I like Vectran.
Spectra is good for my reserves :)

Haven't seen it but I'll do a search for it... I agree with you, I prefer Vectran without a doubt.

Found it: http://www.thepdblog.com/pdblog/education/
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

No, I don't believe that's correct. You may want to check your information on this one mate. Different line types come in different sizes.

Yeah I know that a 750 line is going to be thicker than a 500 line, but I thought the Spectra line in general due to being somewhat stronger is also slightly thinner than Vectran, but I could be wrong. Downsides to Spectra is that it is less springy/forgiving on openings and doesn't hold trim as well.

I think my general statement it true, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

OMG, that canopy must have some serious flaws. I doubt it could be fixed by the factory.

I'll buy it from you for $800, save you the trouble of having to throw it away.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Yeah I know that a 750 line is going to be thicker than a 500 line, but I thought the Spectra line in general due to being somewhat stronger is also slightly thinner than Vectran, but I could be wrong. Downsides to Spectra is that it is less springy/forgiving on openings and doesn't hold trim as well.

I think my general statement it true, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

I think you are confusing Vectran and Dacron. Dacron is "springy". Vectran is less "springy" than Spectra, lasts a bit less, but doesn't shrink or elongate (which Spectra does, and gets your canopy out of trim pretty quick).

With Vectran you need a slow opening canopy as it would make the opening shock more direct on the jumper. Spectra is a slightly more permissive in that sense. Dacron is the most permissive (they still didn't invent bungee lines)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

This is the internet, please feel free to broadcast disinformation at will. :)
Seriously, do some research before giving bad advice. But thanks for posting your jump numbers as a warning. :)

Whatever we're just talking about his lines, if you don't do your own research before buying your an idiot. Besides I knew if I was wrong in anyway there would be at least a few people to come around and correct me. ;) and then a bunch of A-holes to just tell me how wrong I was. :P:D

ETA: Frankly I can't find any great comparison info between Spectra vs Vectran, would appreciate it if anyone else can. In John LeBlanc's videos "What is Next for Parachute Lines?" and "Informational Video - Vectran" He does say that Vectran has greater abrasion friction on the slider grommets, slowing the slider descent. He also refers to Spectra as "low bulk" which I interpret as a thinner line. I didn't find anything about the comparison regarding elasticity between the two.

Back to the OP's first post. He had two issues. First, he believes he has a bad canopy. That issue has been debunked here. The second issue is the lack of after-sale support from Icarus. No one has defended Icarus on this. IMHO, Icarus should be the one telling the OP that the canopy is fine and opens normally. If that had happened, the OP probably wouldn't have had to come here. I love my Omni 183.5 but I had the same lack-of-response from Icarus after I bought the canopy. Admittedly, that was years ago but I have not heard from anyone that the situation has improved. One would think that if Icarus wanted to have repeat business, they should take care of the customers they have.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

So you're inferring that the OP is an idiot and that the people who have corrected your misinformation are assholes? I'll have to reread the SIM, I thought you had to be 18 to skydive. Maybe you got a waiver.

Sorry dude, I just noticed your sig line, kinda like a free pass!
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

The parachute is correctly fulfilling its design criteria,ie slow, soft openings.
Stow excess brakeline
Stop yanking on your L/H rear riser unless you are avoiding traffic......
How many jumps have you put on it in 3 months?
What did you jump before?

So you're inferring that the OP is an idiot and that the people who have corrected your misinformation are assholes?

I never said either of those things. Reread my posts.

I'll have to reread the SIM, I thought you had to be 18 to skydive. Maybe you got a waiver.

Your the one that hasn't contributed jack shit to this thread... Your sole mission was to f*@k with me. Go troll somewhere else.

Here looky looky.

So you're inferring that the OP is an idiot and that the people who have corrected your misinformation are assholes?

I never said either of those things. Reread my posts.

I'll have to reread the SIM, I thought you had to be 18 to skydive. Maybe you got a waiver.

You're the one that hasn't contributed jack shit to this thread... Your sole mission was to f*@k with me. Go troll somewhere else.

Here looky looky.

Fixed the link and the you're. ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

we don't have the wingloading, but according to the video it is a 149. I can't buy him his canopy because I would need a larger container :)

Okay, I have horrible satellite internet - metered, and relatively slow. so I rarely view the videos.

But I have found that wingloading really needs to be known.

I've heard a lot of jumpers who got a Sabre2 as their first owned main parachute complain about the openings - hunting, off heading, end-cell-closure.

So I jumped a few, from 230 down to 170.

I am a big fellow, and the resultant wing loadings ranged from about 1.2 to 1.65.

At the low end, I saw all the stuff these folks complained about.

At about 1.4, things started changing, and by the 1.65, all of the bad habits were gone, with firm, on-heading openings with no end-cell-closure being the normal behavior.

So, in my experience, we really need to know the wing loading to make sensible comments about what this fellow is experiencing.

Not true in any sense.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Not true in any sense.

1. Spectra doesn't hold trim as well. = true
2. Vectran wears faster than Spectra. = true
3. Vectran has greater abrasion friction than Spectra. = true
4. My point that if he went to a thinner Spectra line his slider will drop faster giving him a quicker opening, if that is what he is looking for. = true
5. Spectra less elasticity than Vectran? (no sources to show otherwise)

Can you provide any information that ANYTHING I said isn't true???? If you can post some sources I'd love to see them. If Spectra loses trim more so than Vectran wouldn't it likely have less elasticity/elastic properties?

ETA: 6. "if I was wrong in anyway there would be at least a few people to come around and correct me. Wink ...and then a bunch of A-holes to just tell me how wrong I was." = true :D:D

piisfish, dcroft and I were simply discussing lines and each of us were trying to provide some information which may be helpful to the OP. I never claimed to be right over anyone else... just said what I "thought" to be true. I'm looking for sources that show otherwise but so far I can't find anything.

If any of you all-knowing skygods (monkycndo, diablopilot, martini) have any actual info to contribute to this thread please bless us all with your king shit knowledge. Otherwise go to some of the threads I started and continue bashing me there. :)