AndrzejC

Icarus Canopies after-sale service - be carefully

Icarus Canopies Saphire2 DOM 2009 with less than 200 jumps from jump to jump open worse and worse. You can see here what I mean.... ">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJsSbWrNskI:(
I've asked Icarus Canopie on November for any support or suggestion what is wrong and what should I do with this..... and got 1 email after one month with one suggestion which give me nothing, only make my rigger very happy..... and that all. After 3 months I'm in same place and Icarus Canopies does no answer for my emails. Canopy is danger and I have no support from manufacturer whats mean i have to change it and I'm shorter 2000$. Be carefully with Icarus Canopies, they have lot to do with after-sale service :(((((

Maybe somebody have idea what is wrong with this canopy???

Andrew

Those openings look pretty sweet to me, just like my 189. You really should stow the excess brake line somewhere.

Edit: I should tell you that I don't look up while it is opening, I keep my eyes on the horizon. Maybe that is what your problem is.

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

Maybe somebody have idea what is wrong with this canopy???

Maybe the guy who owns it is complaining about nothing?

Slow, snivelly, on-heading openings? That's your problem?

A problem is when canopy opens hard enough to damage the jumper or rig, or maybe the heading performance is so bad it spins the canopy into lone twists.

If you really want the canopy to open faster, get a smaller slider, or adjust your brake setting so the canopy is in deeper brakes when they are set. Be careful with either one, because there is a point with either adjustment where the canopy will go from what it does now, to damaging the jumper or rig.

The main problem is I'm not rigger and in prefect world I can count for manufacturer support if have doubt about product. In my opinion opening not on direction where slider stay in the middle and external cell are empty is unacceptable..... For sure this is possible to fit but I need manufacturer support to do this :(((

In my opinion opening not on direction where slider stay in the middle and external cell are empty is unacceptable.....

That's the point, your opinion of what is, or is not, a good opening is one thing, by as pointed out by myself and another poster, those openings looked pretty good. So if the factory spent time designing a canopy that opens that way, and you don't happen to like those type of openings, what can they do? The product is working the way they intended it to, so they would have to do another round of test jumps to come up with a configuration to make you happy, and I just don't see any manufacturer doing that.

If you want it to open faster, get a smaller slider. You don't need to be a rigger to measure your slider, then call around to canopy manufacturers and see who has a slider a little smaller.

Even aside from that, if you're not a rigger, surely you know a rigger, right? Who packs your reserve? Call that guy, and see if he'll help you tune your brake settings. It's simple work, and should cost about 1/4 the cost of a new slider.

Above all, I would suggest you not mess with it. What you have there are good, reliable, safe openings, and messing it with it is just asking for trouble. You realize that your folding up a fabric wing, stuffing it in a bag, and tossing it out into 120 mph wind. I'm not sure what type of performance you're expecting, but deployments are pretty random events, and those openings you showed look pretty good all things considered.

Doesn't seem that wrong to me either. A safire opens soft, that's a GOOD thing.

If you want it to open a bit faster, look at how you're packing. Do not roll the tail anymore than absolutely necesarry to keep the canopy together for packing. Do not roll the nose or do anything other special to the canopy during poacking.

Have a rigger look at your pilotchute.

But really, nothing wrong with the openings. Certainly it is not dangerous. Some canopies just open like that.
If you don't like the openings just sell the canopy and get something else. And do testjump that new canopy before you buy it, as a lot of modern canopies open quite slow these days.

Oh yeah, better not look up during opening when you're jumping camera, bad idea. And like mentioned before, do stow your brakelines especially when jumping camera and ESPECIALLY when you're sticking the camera between your risers on opening.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Soft, on-heading...
If you don't want it, let's discuss a sale.

Sure it's not a simple packing issue? You can pack it to open faster.

STOW YOUR EXCESS BRAKE LINE.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

If you want it to open a bit faster, look at how you're packing.

to add: The slider set has an impact on opening speed also.
When you set the slider, don't pull the nose of it out so far. The farther out, the slower the opening.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

looked like perfect opening, that opening is what i try to pack for every single time.
even endcell closure and slider barely pushing down.
and my safire did that, my crossfire, katana and my jvx does that.

as your wingloading increases it will snivel less.
Get use to slow openings, it is year 2010, we pull high and we go thru 750ft plus openings.
Gone are the days of pulling at 2000 and have sabre1 openings.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

What did you jump before this? how can you not like those openings?

If i was a rep at Icaurus canopies, i would be looking at your email, trying to figure out the nicest way to say your rediculous and have no idea what your talking about.

try posting on thier Facebook page.

I dont either like those kind of openings, and thats why i dont own a saber2 or safire 2.

But i was a bit confused about the OPs video, the sound of him was as if he had a hard opening.
And then he says he wants the slider to come down faster.
Keep in mind if you want the slider to move down faster and no end cell closure you will get harder openings.

But a question. Would larger crossports make the canopy open quicker?
That would spread the air between the cells faster and prevent end cell closure, and get the slider down quicker, or am i wrong?
I dont think anyone should experiment with that but just as a question.

To be fair that isn't just end cell closure...on the first opening it's 2 end cells closed on the left and about 1 &1/2 on the right so it's not that good really.

However, I do 100% agree that there's nothing at all for you to moan at Icarus about!!

On that first opening you let a load moan out as if it was a hard opening but all I can see is a very soft snivelly on heading opening. Albeit with some slightly excessive end cell closure. Yes the slider does stay up a bit but I've seen bad packjobs do this as well.
Thus I would put money on it that considering you don't know how to stow your excess steering line I could safely say that your packing may leave a lot to be desired. Perhaps before you moan off at Icarus you should take your canopy to an experienced jumper and ask him to show you how to pack it better.

Also, something for the other posters on DZ.com:-
If you freeze the first opening you can get a good look at his risers and the toggle setting. Something looks off here. He has his toggle set on a popper and the eyelet for the steering line setting is above the ring. I would hazard a guess that these risers are a little flakey and that the toggle setting is a little off. Can someone take a look and see what they think please??

Also, something for the other posters on DZ.com:-
If you freeze the first opening you can get a good look at his risers and the toggle setting. Something looks off here. He has his toggle set on a popper and the eyelet for the steering line setting is above the ring. I would hazard a guess that these risers are a little flakey and that the toggle setting is a little off. Can someone take a look and see what they think please??

My best shoot here will be that those are Advance risers. They have a straight pin to set the half brakes. The same way like Atom risers. Nothing "off', just a bit different;)

Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

nothing "advanced" about them....;)

Well, I have to disagree with you. I like the design a lot. I've never heard of toggle fire on Advance risers. And they have a really cool pocket to put the tab from the soft links,so you don't have to hand tack them.
The only bad thing about them is that I don't have them in my rig B|

Blue skies,
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

It also looks like those lines are old as shit... you can see fraying wear all over them in the videos. I can't believe that they would look that used with less than 200 jumps on them. Having those frayed lines can also slow down/ hold up your slider.

If you get new lines, you might just want to get some Spectra lines. They're thinner and smoother than Vectran and you'll probably have less slider hang-up with quicker openings. However my opening are just like yours in your video and that's how I like it.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----