Unstable

New Packing Weights ~ Alternate filler material?

Hey Folks,

I'm making myself a new set of packing weights, and designing them how I want them.

a. Obnoxious Orange with exaggerated tails to be impossible to miss....

b. Short and fat, to help control the crown of a round canopy better than the standard dimensions

So I build them, and then take my crisp clean $20 bill to go buy some lead shot. Get to the reloading store, and come to find that lead shot is apparently made of Unicorn Blood or something because it's damn near the price of gold.

Does anybody have any good ideas for packing weight alternate fillers?
=========Shaun ==========

Dear Sir,

Due environmental restrictions, and "green" policies, all the lead shot is "almost" forbidden.

In Europe we use stainless steel ball bearings. Choose the proper size, and fill your packing weights. You will find easily at any industrial hardware store.

If You have difficult to obtain them, you can try lead shot, with the new "environment friendly" jacket (Covered with Copper, or Zinc), or may ask for Stainless Steel shot at your gun store. Try at www.cabelas.com (USA based)

Hoping to have helped you,

Juan Fraile
Military Parachute Rigger (ret.)
Barcelona, Spain, February, 17th, 2011
Juan Fraile-Nuez
Military Parachute Rigger (ret.)
Spain, Europe

Due environmental restrictions, and "green" policies, all the lead shot is "almost" forbidden.

That's what I ran into ~ I asked the shopkeep told me that more than 1/2 the price (each bag was about $49 USD) was shipping and handling.

In Europe we use stainless steel ball bearings

Thats a Bingo! Thank you!

For packing, do they really need to be that heavy? It's not like were trying to increase fall rate, just hold down and control the gear while packing.

Pea gravel, dried corn or peas or beans - pretty much anything round and smooth that won't rot or cut through the fabric and of a size that allows the bag to lie smooth.

My wife stopped making weight belts because the shot prices skyrocketed (tripled over the course of a year) a couple years ago. She only does it now if the customer provides their own shot.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

For packing, do they really need to be that heavy?

No, but I would like at least 2 heavier than normal ones to help control the crown of a round reserve ~ just a personal preference...

hey sexy man, I have afew packing weights that you can have. Next time you are in KC stop by the house and take home some of this extra rigging stuff that i have in the basement. xoxo and tell your wife to stop being jealous about us ;)
www.greenboxphotography.com

hey sexy man, I have afew packing weights that you can have. Next time you are in KC stop by the house and take home some of this extra rigging stuff that i have in the basement. xoxo and tell your wife to stop being jealous about us ;)

Thanks Joe! We do need to play parachutes sometime... I'll be in KC off and on for the next few weeks...

depending on how much you need, you can use old pressed lead seals... I have around 2 pounds that my co-rigger has kept over the years.
also you can check the weights they use for scuba ( not the "hard" ones, they also use now lots of weight pockets which are pretty similar to packing weights. You just need to add the fancy color.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

What did you do with the shot in the old bags?

Less than $5 a pound and free shipping.

Sparky

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Ballistic-Products-Nickel-Plated-Lead-Shot/731835.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fcompare_items.jsp%3FcategoryIds%3D%26productId%3D731835%26productId%3D741447%26productId%3D740959
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Sand or pea gravel?

I made some with sand ones once, but found that as they wore out (used a double needle machine with about 12 Stitches per inches the sand started dribbling out the sides ~ which I wasn't thrilled with.

How about sealing in plastic first? I hope you had more than a sewing machine to work with ;).

We have a LOT of old timers quitting. So there's a supply of weight VESTs out there in skydiving.

Vests suck (vs belts) so they are out there and no one wants them.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

We have a LOT of old timers quitting. So there's a supply of weight VESTs out there in skydiving.

Vests suck (vs belts) so they are out there and no one wants them.

I want one to fly my wingsuit :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Why do need to "control" the crown of a round reserve? I don't understand what the problem is. I have packed many a round reserve over the years and never had a problem with the apex area.

Who said there was a problem? I just want to make a new set a little shorter and fatter than the ones I previous had...I too pack round reserves very regularly, just a preference..