Skydive2

Whats New at PIA??

Cookie has the G2 helmet in XL and XXL. My freakishly large head is exploding with excitement.:D

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Has it's own weather system!
Spherical but quite pointy in parts.

:D:D:D

Has Sky Systems sorted out their new helmet face shield latch yet?

Not sure - I don't see them on the list of exhibitors so I'm not even sure they're represented this year.

To the OP: link to the PIA interviews that includes a lot of info on new stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/user/VASSTTraining#g/u
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Dear Madam,

If you are going to PIA Symposium, try the new d3o material which is included in some Cookie helmets.

It is a British patent for a non-newtonian fluid which can absorb a trauma dissipating it on the whole d3o surface. You can visit the British website at www.d3o.com and have a look.

Sincerely,

Juan Fraile
Military Parachute Rigger (ret.)
Barcelona, Spain, February 17th, 2011
Juan Fraile-Nuez
Spain, Europe

Cookie has the G2 helmet in XL and XXL. My freakishly large head is exploding with excitement.:D

I got to demo one the other day.. I'll get one when they're ready (was an issue with face shields)

I'm also interested in this new AAD...
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

I got to demo one the other day.. I'll get one when they're ready (was an issue with face shields)

I'm also interested in this new AAD...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jK9c1wvO9k
"Do you really want to take advice from the guy we call Tarmac?"

RE: G2
What was the issue with the face shields. I'm unaware of that.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

RE: G2
What was the issue with the face shields. I'm unaware of that.

Nor am I. The helmets are being sold in all sizes now.

Back in October when I spoke to the Cookie rep, the XL and XXL sizes were not yet available because they were still doing development work on them. But not now. I'd be curious to hear what the issue referred to above was.

(~) an issue with the face shiled and the way they were made to be optically correct. the larger models were bigger than the std. models.. word was that they would be shipping soon, so maybe thats happened
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

(~) an issue with the face shiled and the way they were made to be optically correct. the larger models were bigger than the std. models.. word was that they would be shipping soon, so maybe thats happened

They are. Dealers I spoke to at PIA had them in stock.

It is a British patent for a non-newtonian fluid which can absorb a trauma dissipating it on the whole d3o surface.

How much of the force does it absorb and how much does it just transfer to the head?

Oh... Don't be asking questions about facts when the marketing stuff sounds so good!
Remster

M2 from Czech Republic. The 15 years or 15000 jumps is the lifetime. No service or new batteries. It's done at that point and you buy a new one.

Water resistant to 6'. Activation altitude 885' adn 78 MPH expert. Expert, student and tandem. Not multimode so muct be changed at AltiII. Data record of a number of things, # of jumsp, % battery left, other things but also how close, in %, you were to the activation speed in a swoop.

Field replacable cutter. Stainless steel cutter, aluminum case, and stainless control unit.

Not available now, probably by summer.

All this is from memory. YMMV.:)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Dear Sir,

Depends on d30 width. They have CE certified EN1621-2 Level 1, and Level 2, only ask the level protection to the sales person.

Hoping to have aided you,

Juan Fraile
Barcelona, Spain, February 19th, 2011
Juan Fraile-Nuez
Spain, Europe

They have CE certified EN1621-2 Level 1, and Level 2

The only certification I saw was for body armour. Nothing for helmets.

In fact I doubt the logic of to have a padding layer that gets harder and less resilient when submitted to an impact. It may work well to protect limbs and bones, but the brain is something else entirely.

It may be the best thing since sliced bread, but considering how many motorcycle products d3o is used in, and not 1 single helmet, I'm not convinced this is a great application for that technology.
Remster

Tandem manufacturers are gradually converging on one standard.

For example: Strong Enterprises showed off a tandem prototype with a one-pin reserve. The prototype is so new that it does not have a name yet.

... a mere 18 years after I suggested it ....

From the bottom up, drogue release handle locations are similar to those sold by most of their competitors: primary (student) drogue release handle on the instructor's right leg pad (where it mimics a BOC), while the secondary (instructor's) drogue release handle is on the lower left corner of the main container (similar to Vector, Sigma, etc.).
The main container is mostly the same as a (Strong) Dual Hawk, but has an upward-closing pin cover, with a clear Lexan window. The window can be replaced in 20 seconds (with no tools).

A similar clear window allows for quicker pin-checks on the reserve. Speaking of reserve containers ... it is a 5 flap design. I suggested that they include some sort of "wall" (similar to Icon or R.I.'s latest prototype) in the freebag to prevent the closing loop from rubbing on the reserve canopy. We will see how many years SEI needs to incorporate my suggestion!
Hah!
Hah!

The reserve also includes a new type of MARD (Main Assisted Reserve Deployment). The "Air Anchor" RSL has a ring on the bottom that slides along the reserve bridle. A 1-ring release system - temporarily - attaches the RSL to the bridle and is held closed by a piece of black flex cable. If the RSL wins the race, it pulls against a (covered) bag-stop-ring and lifts the free-bag.
If the pilot-chute wins the race, the ring (on the bottom of the RSL) slides away from the steel cable and the RSL dis-connects, similar to Socerer and Skyhook.
SEI showed video Air Anchor drop tests.
The reserve bridle configuration is not "frozen" so I suggested sewing on a stiffened (similar to a steering toggle) extra piece of webbing - or at a bare minimum sewing some contrasting thread to remind field riggers where to do the needle fold for the staging loop.
SEI also said that all of their older canopies are compatible with the new system, to ease conversion costs for DZs that already operate Dual Hawks. They have tested SET 400 and SET 366 - as reserves - in various military rigs and will offer them as reserves in the new system.

Speaking of conversion costs ... I would like to see SEI offer a kit that would allow field riggers to convert old Dual Hawks to the modern drogue release configuration. That would ease conversion training when the new SEI rigs enter service in another year or so....

In conclusion: the new Strong Tandem prototype looks promising and is long-overdue.

Rob Warner
Strong Tandem Examiner
CSPA Riger Examiner

Like I said in an earlier post, tandem manufacturers are converging on a common standard.
For example, UPT (aka "the Vector and Sigma factory") now offers a Y-strap to prevent tandem students from falling out of their harnesses.
UPT's Y-strap differs from Strong's in that it can easily be hand-installed on recently manufactured Sigma student harnesses.
It is also easier to adjust. Hint: a piece of bungee cord does 99% of the work.

Performance Designs introduced their new ZERO accuracy canopy.

The ZERO is mostly made of 0-3 cfm fabric (aka. F-111) and packs slightly smaller than other accuracy canopies, but someone my size (200 pounds before getting dressed) would still need a 300 square foot ZERO to prevent injuries, even when landing on a tuffet.

It combines flares (ala. Jalbert Para-Foil) and keels (ala. Eiff) to steer airflow along the bottom skin. They also incorporate reinforcing tapes that allow riggers to easily hot-knife vents in stablisers or bottom skins.
Test jumpers included long-time accuracy competitors Cheryl Sterns (sp?) and Jimmy Hayhurst. Jimmy helped develop Eiff's prototypes in the early 1980s and wrote the manual for the ZERO.

The ZEROs' slider can be cleverly (less than a minute) re-configured (with small plastic snap fasteners) for hop-and-pops or terminal openings.