LilJon

The top ten most dangerous jobs in America

well, if pilots are 3rd on the list...where does that leave skydiving instructors??? I am sure that we are on more "flights" than pilots...although we dont land in the plane, but there are plenty of other things that could possibly go wrong.

I wonder if the fatality rates include scerosis of the liver, I think that may be up for debate on who drinks more.;)

There was a special on Discovery, TLC, one of those channels about the Alaskan fisherman a few months back. The video of it was great. Dead of night, cold, and waves going completely over the boat. Yet they stayed on deck pulling in traps.....I feel a Jimmy Buffet song in there somewhere.......cool stuff.

Lol, I just figured out why these professions have such a high fatality rate. What do most of these jobs have in common?

They all drink heavily :P

Seriously. Timber cutters, fishermen, metal workers, roofers, construction laborers and truck drivers? These guys drink a 12 pack for lunch. No wonder they're all dying on the job!!!!! :P

Forty-two

Lol, I just figured out why these professions have such a high fatality rate. What do most of these jobs have in common?

They all drink heavily

I know that you're trolling for some kind of response so I will keep mine simple.

What makes them heavy drinkers? Is it the assumption that they are all really tough big guys? It may be possible for metal workers, roofers, construction laborers and truck drivers to drink on the job.. But as for fishermen and probably loggers, They environment is alchahol free because of geographical location and strict supervision.

They all drink heavily :P

Seriously. Timber cutters, fishermen, metal workers, roofers, construction laborers and truck drivers? These guys drink a 12 pack for lunch. No wonder they're all dying on the job!!!!! :P

I don't drink heavy. Been a welder for rock quarries since I was 18. Started building a new quarry for Vulcan Materials in Rockingham, NC. Actually, most of the other welders I work with aren't heavy drinkers.

Edited to add MSHA's fatalgrams 55 total deaths this year in the mining industry.

http://www.msha.gov/fatals/fab.htm
http://sexygirlabs.com/url]

I don't understand how pilots made it into the list. Isn't it safer to fly than drive?

No, that's an old myth. Although the big airliners are about 17 times safer than driving your own car on the same length trip, the little airplanes and less trained pilots offer hundreds of ways to get killed. Also, if you read the actuarial tables that insurance companies compile, skydiving isn't that safe, either.:oYou have to actively managed your risk on every flight, and on every skydive.

Roofers. I can tell you from experience why roofing is so dangerous. There are a lot of points in the process where injuries can occur.

Working on the edge of a roof. One misstep. Stepping on boards that are not nailed. Ladders.

The biggest problem that creates big numbers is that when racking trusses straight, many are involved. If a truss breaks loose and hits another, there is a domino effect that cannot be stopped. Six to eight may be injured badly at the same time. That raises the injury numbers quickly.

Well, I'm #5 on the list....and I thought it was just the world out to get me. ;)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!