andreeb77

Dealer Problem

Since no one else has come forward on being touched up I see no point in pursuing it.

I'm in the market for a complete rig with a 160-170 main.
average size/weight male.

Willing to spend 3k. Who can help out?
Im in NSW, AUS.

I bought a new rig from the US and was lucky enough to have some FF points to hand carry it back over. There's lots of good deals in the US now with the AU$ being so strong. I think you will have a hard time finding something decent for 3K especially as you'll need an AAD to go with it for jumping in Australia. I do wish you the best of luck though.

Since no one else has come forward on being touched up I see no point in pursuing it.

I'm in the market for a complete rig with a 160-170 main.
average size/weight male.

Willing to spend 3k. Who can help out?
Im in NSW, AUS.

I bought a new rig from the US and was lucky enough to have some FF points to hand carry it back over. There's lots of good deals in the US now with the AU$ being so strong. I think you will have a hard time finding something decent for 3K especially as you'll need an AAD to go with it for jumping in Australia. I do wish you the best of luck though.

That being said I would suggest keeping an eye out on the used gear listed on the APF web site.

I've been trawling every possible facet of the sport imaginable!

There are a few good deals from across the ditch that I have my eyes on, and the only way I'd buy from the states is if it was brand new. There is no way in hell I'd buy second hand from the sates, the chances of getting ripped off are just too high and being touched once all ready is MORE than enough.

Unless someone wrote a contract which clearly states they are liable if the item is not as described.

There is no way in hell I'd buy second hand from the sates, the chances of getting ripped off are just too high

Check with Mike from Chutingstar, I know he used to de escrow/inspection services for private individuals looking to sell gear. Sellers ship gear to him, he inspects gear and if it passes, notifies the buyer and holds the gear awaiting payment. Once he recieves the money, he'll ship the gear and forward the money to the seller. I'm not sure if he ships international or not, but it's worth a check.

Paul, known as 'Likestojump' on DZ.com does a ton of used gear sales, and a good portion of it is international. He has a good reputaion, and I know him peronsally as he lives 20 min across town from me. He's a good guy to deal with, and I wouldn't make that reccomendation unless I knew him personally. Others will back that up based on dealing with him, but I make it based on knowing him for years.

You could also contact the big gear dealers in the states, they often times have good used gear in stock. Square One and the Sunshine Factory come to mind, both have benn in business for 15 or 20 years, and are safe to deal with.

It's entirely possible to buy used gear internationally and be safe. The problem with Gary was that the deals were too good to be true. If you're dealing with a person or business with a good reputation, and looking to make a 'fair' deal, it can be done. If someone has the 'deal of the century', but it's across the world and they want you to wire money into their girlfriends account, then you might have a problem. Even if the dealer is local and the price is too good to be true, that's another sign that you might want to be cautious.

Shoot likestojump a PM, tell him what you're looking for, and see if he has anything for you.

There is no way in hell I'd buy second hand from the sates, the chances of getting ripped off are just too high

Check with Mike from Chutingstar, I know he used to de escrow/inspection services for private individuals looking to sell gear. Sellers ship gear to him, he inspects gear and if it passes, notifies the buyer and holds the gear awaiting payment. Once he recieves the money, he'll ship the gear and forward the money to the seller. I'm not sure if he ships international or not, but it's worth a check...

Paul, known as 'Likestojump' on DZ.com does a ton of used gear sales, and a good portion of it is international. He has a good reputaion, and I know him peronsally as he lives 20 min across town from me. He's a good guy to deal with, and I wouldn't make that reccomendation unless I knew him personally. Others will back that up based on dealing with him, but I make it based on knowing him for years.

You could also contact the big gear dealers in the states, they often times have good used gear in stock. Square One and the Sunshine Factory come to mind, both have benn in business for 15 or 20 years, and are safe to deal with.

It's entirely possible to buy used gear internationally and be safe. The problem with Gary was that the deals were too good to be true. If you're dealing with a person or business with a good reputation, and looking to make a 'fair' deal, it can be done. If someone has the 'deal of the century', but it's across the world and they want you to wire money into their girlfriends account, then you might have a problem. Even if the dealer is local and the price is too good to be true, that's another sign that you might want to be cautious.

Shoot likestojump a PM, tell him what you're looking for, and see if he has anything for you.

(Bolding mine)

+1 on Chutingstar. Escrow is free, inspections are reasonably priced.

It is possible to purchase safely, if you are careful.
Use a bit of common sense, make sure the seller understands you are gun-shy after being burned, and don't be afraid to walk away from any deal that smells at all funny.

Most legit sellers should be willing to do an escrow deal with a reputable dealer. If not, then you should wonder what they are hiding.

Search "rigger as escrow" to find more details on how this is done.
Or just shoot an e-mail out to Chutingstar. They were very prompt in their responses, and very patient and helpful in answering my stupid questions.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

There are a few good deals from across the ditch that I have my eyes on, and the only way I'd buy from the states is if it was brand new. There is no way in hell I'd buy second hand from the sates, the chances of getting ripped off are just too high and being touched once all ready is MORE than enough.

Unless someone wrote a contract which clearly states they are liable if the item is not as described.

Remember that if you do have something shipped out to Australia customs will stick you with GST (10%) plus import duty. In the case of the new rig I purchased recently the total tax bill would have been equal to a round trip ticket.

Remember that if you do have something shipped out to Australia customs will stick you with GST (10%) plus import duty. In the case of the new rig I purchased recently the total tax bill would have been equal to a round trip ticket.

When did customs start imposing import duty, I have been buying gear from OS for 9 years and never once charged import duties
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

When did customs start imposing import duty, I have been buying gear from OS for 9 years and never once charged import duties

I know when I looked into having my rig shipped out the ATO/Customs web site indicated import duty on top of GST - it scarred the shit out of me. It appears you have 1st hand experience dealing with them and I'm glad to hear that this isn't the case :-)

Try contacting Rory Hatchett at Precision Rigging. He may be able to help you out.

Or if you're worried about getting burnt again (which is probably unlikely) get things one at a time from the US (start with the reserve or the AAD).

I can only imagine how angry and frustrated you are at the point. I had enough trouble getting second hand gear together under normal circumstances, let alone being ripped off in these circumstances.

Yeh mate that sounds about right I am in the same boat as all the others 9k (incl taxes) paid in full for a new rig and use of a demo until it arrived... no demo and certainly no rig. I found out via the manufacturer as Gary was never going to let me know that at the time my rig was due to be finished the order had been on hold for 3 months +

Now not being able to contact Gary at all and being left completely in the dark he deserves no trust/respect/consideration in any forum. I am now jumping through all the hoops to try to get a resolution in my favour not being helped by Gary being 'invisible'.

I was very patient with Gary as he tried to explain his way out of what was going on and now it seems he was just trying to buy time. My patience has run out and he has potentially ruined a trip to the states for much jumping coming up in august. (6 months after the original due date for the new rig)

Nice work Gary and thanks for the welcome to the fantastic world of skydiving...>:( If anyone knows his number or whereabouts please pm me or reply.

When i dealt with the above mentioned i refused to pay cash and would only pay via CC to the manufacturer.
Something didnt seem right!

I got to the states and found two rigs (one was mine the other i had no clue what it was for) and i emailed him and he asked what was the other rig and he responded it must have been a mistake made by UPT. Well convienently the rig sent was going to an address in northern england (some univeristy or some shit.. Cant really remember) so i offered to bring it with me to avoid import duty etc. Well we didnt have the additional baggage so i was forced to buy a hard case and pay additional baggage and i was promised all would be re-imbursed. I got the rig into the UK without any tax and it was sitting on my floor for a couple of months. I sent an email telling him the rig can sit on my floor however if it was stolen or something happens to it then i would not be responsible. HE returned with the telephone number of the owner. I called the owner who refused to come and get it from london because he had pre-paid postage with KK. I then had to take a morning off work and send it recorded and insured to northern england(at my own expense) witht he promise the money would be re0imbursed.. none of the money came through and this was two years ago. Im still waiting on my gatorz and my shirts by the way mate. You know who i am;)

All in all my dealings were quite good. Always responding to questions etc. If it werent for this i would pobably order through him again to be honest. I feel for those that lost but he was workig on paper margins and using new orders to satisfy accounts with suppliers for historical orders. IT was bound to colapse eventually.

. Im still waiting on my gatorz and my shirts by the way mate. You know who i am;)

if you get your gatoprz and t shirts let me know im waiting on mine :(
Dudeist Skydiver #170
You do not need a parachute to skydive, you only need one to skydive again

On Tuesday, an email was sent to a local mailing list: A report of [alleged] fraud has or will take place soon to the Police. I emailed the point man for this, and he is aware of this thread. Maybe he’ll provide future updates. Either way, I hope the information here can be usefull.

I'm sorry that I don't have more details – I just wanted our international friends to know a small summary of what got posted earlier this week.

I think it really, really sucks to pay for kit and not get it in a timely fashion especially for new jumpers.
Blue Dreams Benno

Well after much pain and suffering, I got some results.

I got in touch with a nice bloke in Melbourne who agreed to a payment plan. 2 months ago it started and as of last week it's now fully paid off.

Yay, I just took ownership of my first rig, bought my second one and it only cost 13 grand!

Thanks Matt! You were awesome!!