countzero

what's the primary way you got to your current skill level?

There's no way to make multiple selections or choose all of the above. :P

Primary method was flailing around with other like-minded individuals combined with jumps including mentors & more experienced skydivers (consider that I started skydiving in the 1970's).

More recently . . . there was a noticeable improvement in my skydiving ability after attending a couple of Airspeed tunnel camps.

My skills, came about mostly from jumping with others whose skills were far beyond my own. A big part was also watching the first ten seconds of 1200 skydives a year from the pilots chair.

I know most people will not like this, but all came easy. My mind was able to grasp the concept with ease. By 100 jumps, I was jumping small parachutes and doing big ways without getting noticed. I love skydiving.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

I agree with Smooth regarding multiple choices.

My first 4 way was with three 10,000 jump wonders. The total number of skydive between the four of us was something around 33,017 (I added the 17:)
When I had enough jumps to start doing 2 ways with low(er) jump numbers and four ways where I wasn't the "newest newbie" on the jump, I started to learn an incredible amount also (there was no one there compensating for my mistakes).

Also, competing this year was a huge learning step for me. It was great to get world class coaching for dirt diving before and post diving with the video after.

I'd basically say the best way to learn is to jump, jump, jump. Try to limit the amount of solos you do and jump with a variety of skill levels safely.

Lots of money spent on figuring things out, but I was nurtured along the way. In fact, for a static line prodigy, I advanced quickly. But, my main skydiving mentor taught me that the best way to learn it is to teach it. I really believe in that and I always try to give back.

I started jumping with these guys. Pic is circa 1982. Fortunately we had our own cessna load every time we went to the DZ. Unfortunately we had our own cessna load every time we went to the DZ;)

We learned by listening to others more experienced then trying it ourselves. We talked incessantly about jumping when we were'nt at the DZ. It drove people nutz!...and made us very unsociable too. We would stand together at a party and ignore everyone else while we talked about jumping.

Man those were the days B|

Paul (zoomy in black & red) was the first one to drop out. He was married and the wife said no. Sean (closest to the camera) was next. He made it about a year....got married and his wife said no. Tim (all white 2nd from the end) jumped with us awhile longer. He got married and his wife....well...you know. Dan (tan jumpsuit on the end) and I still jump together today. He was married and told his wife to f....you get the picture.

Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

started by flailing with other low timers
went to the second "search" run by skydive U and increased my skill level by 500%
then jumped with a bunch of people better than me

BTW I still suck I just suck less :D

You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

There is two answers. They way I did it, and the best way.

When I started, there was no wind tunnel. I am entirely jealous. I totally recommend them. They help to train you to do things the correct way, so that you don't have to unlearn bad habits later.

Also, you can spot and correct mistakes in a tunnel with an experienced coach immediately, instead of taking a 100 jumps.

I jumped with a bunch of other low-timers on small organized loads for a while.

Then, I did some team training with a coach and video.
A painful, but great learning experience.

Count... Et All...

Let me throw this out...

I think the results of your poll might be somewhat skewed or misleading depending on the types of folks responding & where they did most of their jumping when starting out.

We were talking about this around the DZ here recently... the concensus seemed to be that folks who learned to jump at smaller drop zones tend to learn by jumping with the more experienced jumpers at the DZ, jumping a lot (or as much as possible) and by hanging out after jumping and having some beers "with the gang"... this experience tends to come for free (if you don't count the cost of jumping and buying beer... ;):P:S:D)... where as... others at some of the really big DZs may tend more towards paying for lots of coaching, tunnel time, video, etc.

Anyway, just something to think about.

:D:D:D
All the ones asking for multiple answers missed the word "primary" in your thread title.
:D:D:D

I had the good fortune to have had an experienced skydiver take me under his wing and show me the ropes. He stuck with me through thick and thin...even the 10-20 consecutive jumps going low (new jumpsuit totally unfit for my flying style in addition to just not knowing WTF I was doing)...even after my own brother had given up on me. I will forever be thankful that he did that for me. He's a major contributor in my desire to help the younger jumpers along any way I can.

Thank you, Max.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

None of the above, and all of the above.

Above all, time, and jumps.

Amazingly, I've noticed I'm better at certain things after taking some time off. Some things get easier over the winter months, for example. Other times, I'll be focusing on one type of flying (RW), and another will get better (freeflying). It's weird.

As I've gotten better, there's two constants that are always there: Time and Jumps.

Every jump is a learning jump whether you intend it to be or not.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I got to my current skill level by jumping a whole helluva lot for a few years...so that I could fly pretty well. Then I basically quit jumping, except once in a blue moon. Now I suck...lol.

:)
linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I'm very encouraged by how atitudes have changed about jumping with newbies over the years. Thirty years ago, newbies couldn't get on a decent load with anybody. they jumped with each other and flailed all over the place, eventually learning how the hard way.

Nowadays, I see newbies getting on good organized loads, where a knowledgable LO puts them in a good slot (and that's not always in the base either) where they will be SAFE and sensibly challenged to the extent of their current ability. And yes, I jump with newbies too. It's fun. they're not jaded like some of us. And they're learning SO quickly !

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I only ever paid for one coaching jump and said to myself "never again."

It was high pressure and fucking useless in my personaly opinion, it was a sit flying attempt.

Then throw me out with a buddy and just having fun? It was 300000% more productive and fun.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.