hooked

News item, read opening line!

It seems whuffo ignorance sells papers, at least. When reporters do that, I'd like to find them and...and...and offer them a free tandem and a challenge to write about it as objectively as possible.

I know the first line wasn't entirely demeaning, as most skydivers don't find rigs at garage sales, but the sentiment behind it seemed a bit out of place for that article.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Wow, what an asshat. I would have thought that they could come up with better analogies then that. Guess I was wrong.

That's exactly what I thought.:( I had a hard time finding any reason why they would use that statement in an article about Mad Cow!:S

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

Suddenly, eating a hamburger seems almost as reckless crossing the street outside of the clearly indicated crosswalk while a slight rain causes the road to be particularly slick, dusk has reduced visibility considerably, and the holiday season has heightened the potential for drunk drivers and possibly even random acts of terrorism*.

*you must now, by law, mention terrorism in every news article.

It didn't say that skydiving was reckless it said skydiving with a garage sale parachute.

As in would you buy a packed parachute at a garage sale and go out and jump it without repacking it and checking it out.

Lighten up it's supposed to be funny!

I know it didn't say that skydiving was reckless and it referred to a garage sale parachute, but I just thought it was weird to use that analogy. I'm just wondering why that particular line was chosen:D.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

It didn't say that skydiving was reckless it said skydiving with a garage sale parachute.

Yeah really!

I thought it was kind of funny. It's certainly more enticing the the average reader than "Mad Cow disease has made eating beef scary."
Skydiving is for cool people only

Read the last few paragraphs of the story:

----------------

If there are more infected animals in the United States, the risks to the public will grow — but not significantly, Ropeik said. In an analysis for the USDA, he calculated what would happen under several scenarios, including the worst case: 500 infected animals and only 75 percent compliance with the feed ban.

The result: The disease would never spread far and would die out in cattle within two decades. During that time, the risk to people would remain minuscule because of all the existing safeguards.

It's lower than the risk, he said, of getting struck by lighting or drowning in the bathtub.

-----------------

So, when you look at the risks in a non-emotional, analytical way, it seems skydiving with a garage-sale parachute is pretty low risk after all! But how many people read the entire article? I agree, definite ass-hat material. Does USPA have a media relations person who could contact the reporter and explain the facts??

hmm....I can think of a few garages with some VERY nice rigs hanging up....wouldn't mind getting one of those on sale!;)

Really! :)
I got a Racer with a Unit 3, a Strong 26' lopo and an FXC...
at a "Flea Market" in San Diego years ago... :P

For a little over a hundred buck$...
It wasn't 'hot'... :$

The old...
"Hubby went out for a pack of smokes...
and never came back"
story. B|;):ph34r:

(I know it's true, I parted it all out...
the guy that bought the main said some guy
told him it was once his...'till the ole lady and he
had a "misunderstanding") :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

It seems whuffo ignorance sells papers, at least. When reporters do that, I'd like to find them and...and...and offer them a free tandem and a challenge to write about it as objectively as possible.

Then tell the reporter you just picked up the rig at a garage sale?

Am I missing something here??

Beef recall expands to 8 states

By Kyung M. Song
Seattle Times staff reporter

E-mail this article

Print this article

Search archive

Meat from a sick Yakima Valley cow may have been shipped to at least eight states and Guam, officials announced yesterday, indicating the potentially contaminated meat traveled farther than initially thought.