Freeflaw

Why are bridles binding tape

Is it only because of the kill line? If yes, then why do Base jumpers use binding tape bridles (and some skyjumpers with bungee PCs)? Is binding tape less likely to knot around pc/hackey? Is it more durable and shows wear better? Is it easier to stow/pack and thus makes for cleaner pc deployments? Is it more likely to quickly catch wind and blow up and clear of the jumper or maybe even the exact opposite, so that the bridle does not blow past pc? I know some crew and military folk jump Dacron bridles on rings. I don't like the idea of my bridle being behind my pc and assume that binding tape catches air better. Trying to learn as much as I can, help appreciated

Is it only because of the kill line? If yes, then why do Base jumpers use binding tape bridles ..

As a long time BASEr, I have never seen this on BASE gear. Only if a bridle/PC setup has a keel line is it deemed worthy. A single run of binding tape for bridles.... I havent seen [ever] for Sky or BASE.
Take care,
space

Is it only because of the kill line? If yes, then why do Base jumpers use binding tape bridles (and some skyjumpers with bungee PCs)? Is binding tape less likely to knot around pc/hackey? Is it more durable and shows wear better? Is it easier to stow/pack and thus makes for cleaner pc deployments? Is it more likely to quickly catch wind and blow up and clear of the jumper or maybe even the exact opposite, so that the bridle does not blow past pc? I know some crew and military folk jump Dacron bridles on rings. I don't like the idea of my bridle being behind my pc and assume that binding tape catches air better. Trying to learn as much as I can, help appreciated

Check out a "conventional" non-kill-line bridle sometime. All I have seen are, in fact, NOT binding tape (Type 3), but Type 4 square weave webbing.

Some of the kill-line bridles I have seen have one side of Type 4 and the other of Type 3. Many are 2 layers of Type 3.

From a simple strength point of view, 2 layers of 1" Type 3 binding tape are plenty strong enough.

But that Type 3 tape is not nearly so resistant to puncture as the Type 4 webbing is.

Considering that we have seen a disturbing number of container locks when main pins have pierced a Type 3 bridle, maybe it is time to get at least one layer if Type 4 on all bridles. If people are careful to be certain that the pin faces the Type 4 and not the Type 3, I believe we will end the pierced bridle problem once and for all.

Hey Tracey

What material is used for Base Bridles? Am I right to assume that it is webbing type material? What's the thinking behind using flat and wide webbing rather then say a dacron or spectra bridle on a Basejump? (Less likely to move under the pin or be pierced by the pin?)

To paul:
I just tested popping pins through Type 3 vs 4. Huge difference. Type 3 is quite easy to pop through, 4 I did not even manage (though I did use 1/2 inch rather then the inch wide Type 3). I think a type 4 bridle is the next on my list of rig mods... anybody jump one? What are potential downsides to a Type4 bridle?

Still the original question remains... why use something flat rather than string like

Here's a thought. Back when we jumped rounds the bridle was a piece of tubular. Then the Wonder Hog cam out and used a piece of flat binding tape as the bridle because it had no pin. The closing loop was a piece of elastic and you folded the bridle length wise to make it narrow, then back on itself to make the "pin" you stuck in the elastic.
And the first throw outs were belly mounted and then leg mounted. So velcro was sewn on the tape.
When they went to a pin and BOC maybe no one thought to change it.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Still the original question remains... why use something flat rather than string like

For CRW the bridle is string (usually dacron), so it can pass through all the rings easily. The pin is "free" this way though, you push it up against a knot on the bridle. Not seeing the advantage of a bridle like that for normal freefall jumping. Also, collapsible pilotchute bridles don't seem possible with a round design, at least they seem impossible to me.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I think a type 4 bridle is the next on my list of rig mods... anybody jump one? What are potential downsides to a Type4 bridle?

Mirage uses combination from type 3 and 4 on their bridles. The downside.....type 4 is more expensive

Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

I have seen a double Type IV bridle. It was really bulky when packing and a lot stiffer. Alternatively, you could just reinforce the area around the pin with Type 4 and leave the rest of the bridle Type III. Then it would have the best of both worlds but be a little more time consuming to manufacture.

The old, military standard for reserve bridles was two layers of 550 cord. Then the military switched to tubular nylon webbing (more than 1,000). Back in the 1970s, civilians started using 1 inch wide, Type 4 (square weave) tape (rated at 1,000 pounds).

For twenty years, 1 inch wide Type 4 tape was the norm for main bridles. The norm changed when collapsible pilot-chutes came into fashion in the early 1990s. The first generation of collapsible pilot-chutes still used Type 4 tape, but as fashion pressed for smaller and lighter gear, the fashion shifted (mid-1990s) to main bridles made of two layers of Type 3 tape (ribbon weave).
Type 3 bridles may be lighter and more fashionable and make your butt look bigger, but they are also less durable, meaning that they have to be replaced every thousand or so jumps.
Spectra kill-lines wear out even quicker.

So faster (main) parachutes equal more maintenance, kind of like trading in your Ford pick-up truck for a Masserati!
Hah!
Hah!

"... Only if a bridle/PC setup has a keel line ...

KEEL LINES fell out of fashion with Delta 2s, Paradactyls and PZ-81 canopies.
And I doubt if you have ever seen a Paradactyl in the air ....
Let's keep our terminology straight.
The modern component is called a KILL-LINE.

"... Only if a bridle/PC setup has a keel line ...

KEEL LINES fell out of fashion with Delta 2s, Paradactyls and PZ-81 canopies.
And I doubt if you have ever seen a Paradactyl in the air ....
Let's keep our terminology straight.
The modern component is called a KILL-LINE.

Yes, but if you're from the deep south, it's pronounced "keel", like two syllables, so maybe he was spelling it phonetically. ;)

riggerpaul,
having a few bridles around (sky and BASE) how would I easily determine whether it's type 3 or 4?

Sorry for the delay in answer.

Got a Paragear catalog? If so, look at the pictures.

Type 4 has a distinctive square weave that is easily recognized.

Thanks! I don't have the catalog but will look online.