Number one overpaid job,
Politicians!

Then petition.

Number two overpaid job,
Lawyers!

Better luck with the politicians.

Number three overpaid job,
Actor/actress!

Don't watch the shitty movie at the theater, pay attention to reviews.

Number four overpaid job,
professional athlete

Don't go to the game, don't buy expensive shoes.

Number five overpaid job,
Idiotic morons writers, such as the damned fool that wrote this article!

Read it online.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

They're all pikers compared to the CEOs. The "good ol' boys club" of CEOs really looks after itself.

The fact is that a company has more to gain by increasing a few people's salary by 200,000 than increasing many salaries by 1,000. The difference just doesn't matter to the lower income up and commer especially if he knows that the upper level is so lucrative at another company.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

LOL.......umm...Aggie could hand my non-existant ass to me fairly quickly. No fight here. He just reposted what someone else wrote.

Oh yah....and F'N BS!

Yeah!
At least he didn't send it to ya via email
like some OTHER Texas jerk!!!
;):$:)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Everyone is talking about measuring overpayment as "payment" related to "contribution to society".

How about televangelists? When you make zero contribution, any payment is too much.

"I know you have a $50 bill that you have been saving for a special reason. Let Jeeezzzus put it in your heart to send it to me so that I can buy another Mercedes."

Yes, high-end real estate agents make a good commission of their homes, but it usually takes months of phone calls and contact in order to make the deal. People aren't as willing to part easily with their money once they get over the $500,000 range

Adding on to 'Mama's thought...

Here's what it takes to market, as a listing agent, a high end home in my area:
~Ads in Variety, Homes and Land, and various other high-end mags (can be quite pricey)
~produce attractive flyer on heavy weight glossy paper in color, distribution (again, can be quite pricey)
~Mailings to homes in the area to alert them (first class, $.37 each piece)

Then, once you've done all that, you qualify the buyer, handle all paperwork, attend all inspections, be on call 24/7...

If you're the Buyer agent for a high end home, you can spend +/- 100 hours showing property; an hour making sure they actually can afford it, 2-4 writing the offer, another 2-4 negotiating and arm twisting for that last $2,500 to make the deal go. If it doesn't go, start over.

And lastly, here's the breakdown on commission in my area.

~It's split 1/2 and 1/2 with the listing/buyer's agent
~From there, you have an overhead split with your company from "your" commission (can be as much as 10%)
~From there, you have an additional split with your office (different from company), which is usually 20-40% (depending upon production, experience, et cetera).
~From there, you pay costs, including E&O insurance (runs me nearly 2K per year), and other OOP expenses.
~Then you pay tax (don't forget, as ICs, we pay all the tax, incl. social security, etc.)
~then you may pocket the rest, if there's anything left over.

Average hour breakdown for listing (from initial contact to consummation): +/- 80 hours (easy escrow).
Average hour breakdown for buyer's agents (same parameters): +/1 120-130 hours (easy escrow).

Another note: for every buyer you work with, 1 in 10 buy.
For every seller you work with, 1-20 will list with you.

And commissions are not set by law, and are often negotiated lower than is "going rate", especially on high end property. Not to mention working with people, and trying to facilitate their dreams.

And a note about writers: I am not a professional writer, but I doubt they are overpaid. For the two articles I have published, I most certainly was not overpaid; as a matter of fact, I had out of pocket expenses which exceeded (by a long!!! shot) the amount earned.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

When I think of people that have too much money and don't deserve it, I can only think of Paris Hilton.

People like that make me sick. From all I've seen, she has only made one movie (and it was only three minutes long and poor quality) and been on a TV show on FOX. I can't even force myself to watch her on that show. She appears stupid and lazy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but has she done anything?

People like her bug me.

You look like a well fed robin. -monkey1031

Paris Hilton HAS done something to the U.S.:)....lowered are I.Q.s by 10points every time we watch any media coverage. 20 points if you watch her show (complete episode):S

The 2 CEOs at my company make $14 Million(each) plus in salary plus perks that would equal $56 Million.
They just shot down a medical benifit plan for retire employees at $16 million because it was not affordable. Then they donated 16 million to a Golf tour.
21,658 employees just left, mainly managment, because they pension just got better by the Company redistributing asscoiate retirement funds to replace the managemnet pension they depleated in 2002.
I just lost $66,000 in my pension and they do not deny it.

Unfortunately, the analysis given by whoever wrote that silly little article, is quite weak. OK, I definitely do think pro-athletes are overpaid, and pilots, hell, I want the guy who's trying to keep my ass in the sky making enough money for it to be worth his while. But, so much the this stuff, like salaries for pro-athletes, we are responsible for. And it's not just ticket sales. If we, the consumer, want to be able to actually attend those games, stop buying the things they sell us on tv during those games. When we stop giving them our hard earned dollars, they'll change!

Never go to a DZ strip show.

I hate to say it but supply and demand curves set market price for jobs just as they do any other product.

They would not make that kind of money if the supply/demand curve did not meet at that price.

Whether you are an airline pilot, photographer, lawyer, construction worker, or teacher you get what the market demands. Rarely do you get what you actually deserve.

And let's be really honest, if any one of us became a CEO and made the fat cat paychecks would you really turn it down? Think about the gear and jumps you would be buying with 250 grand a year or better;).

P.S. I agree teacher's should make more but to be really honest with you (at least here at OSU) There is an overabundance of teaching students, too few who teach for the love of teaching.

As an engineering student I see more people drop the program and move to education majors than most other departments of the school. And sadly the number reason we hear is "Engineering is just too hard so I am gonna be a teacher instead." Or something to that affect.

This drives market price down. That old addage "those who can't, teach" should read "only those who can should teach". This would drive the market value up, but since it would unfortunately create a shortage of teachers. it would lead to more overcrowded schools. Which would still deteriorate education.

About the only area of teachers who seem to be in a shortage are Math and Science teachers. They seem to have little problem finding work. But factories are filled with people with liberal arts education degrees.

Oh and as far as the most UNDERPAID job in AMERICA

1.) Housewife -

Women who choose to stay home for the sake of running a household. Specific duties include, but are not limited to raising children (which in my wife's case includes all educational responsibilities since we homeschool) The preparing of meals and the stocking of household items. Dealing with any utility problems that come up. Doing laundry for five people which means one or two loads a day.

Doctors appointments, dentist's appointments, eye-exams. Referee, house cleaning. Anything that I would normally take care but cannot because it becomes a need mid week and cannot wait until the weekend.

Softball sign-ups, football sign-ups. Rides to practice. Rides to friends houses. Meeting needs of husband, and still managing to find time to help out friends and family.

This country runs on the work of stay at home mothers. And what do they get paid in return?

Not much.

Except this:

The love, adoration and complete infatuation af a man who knows he could get through no part of his day if he had to do all these things himself.

Hope that is enough for my wife;) cause it is all i got.

I hate to say it but supply and demand curves set market price for jobs just as they do any other product.

In the case of the pilots, the unions have set the prices, not market place economics.

Supply and demand curves set prices and wages in a perfect "Adam Smith" economic world. For various reasons, not everyone can become a CEO. Even in America, not everyone can get the necessary education, has the social standing, has the right cronies, etc.

I wouldn't doubt that many CEO's deserve $250,000. It's the ones that get $200,000,000 that I have an issue with. How many lives is that CEO responsible for, as is a pilot? Chances are he made that money by laying off and thereby ruining thousands of lives. Most of them deserve jail rather and hundreds of millions of dollars.

North
Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.
Franklin D. Roosevelt

I disagree with that number one pick. It should be computer support people that work for mutual fund managers. Hell, I'm seriously over paid, like 220% of what I should be getting.

Computer support people tha work for attorneys aren't too far behind.

B|

I agree...and beyond that, did people not realize the income that could be expected for the job that they are educating themselves for and training for? I mean seriously, if you spend 4+ years in college to get a degree in whatever, get out and get a job, then gripe about how much money you're making...sorry Charlie, it's your own fault. -Do you seriously think children at the age of 6 or 7 say "When I grow up, I wanna be an orthodontist!" NO! Orthodontists, real estate agents, brokers, etc. do what they do to provide that income for their families. I'm not infatuated with mortgages and screaming levels of STRESS, but I do it because it provides my family with a lifestyle that I couldn't if I was a teacher...and yes I LOVE teachers, I just couldn't afford to be one. Sure it's noble to do it for the love of the children, but my family deserves better than Top Ramen and a 2 bedroom apartment until they graduate high school (DON'T misunderstand, I really do love my kids teachers, and if you're a teacher out there, you know you're AWESOME, but my family just couldn't exist without the cash flow to provide for my 'special' babies...)

1.) Housewife -

...Except this:

The love, adoration and complete infatuation af a man who knows he could get through no part of his day if he had to do all these things himself.

Hope that is enough for my wife;) cause it is all i got.

That's amazing...what a wonderful husband!! My dh and I are working to get to this point! Above all, dh is working to make enough income that I can be a wife and mommy and nothing else!!! -Never met a mortgage customer that could make me as happy as my family! :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Money is one of the main reasons I'm not teaching anymore. The other two reasons are politics and parents who think that no matter if I sent home eight progress reports and made ten phone calls home in a nine week long quarter, and their kid continues to refuse to do homework or classwork, somehow its still MY fault that he fails. I spent more time babysitting than actually teaching. Now, I teach martial arts, and if little Johnny doesn't want to participate, he can sit his tail down in the corner until he's ready to rejoin the class.

Money is one of the main reasons I'm applying to law school. The others are a genuine interest in the law, and a genuine desire to help people. Am I in it for the money? Hell yes! but I'm also in it for personal satisfaction, and there's no law that says your job can't be profitable AND personally rewarding.

And yes, I've done some internships and some law clerk stuff, so I do know what I'm getting into, and, I'm looking forward to it.

Hmmm...I find it interesting how there are some people in this world (even on DZ.com) that have the time to write such an elaborate piece on the complaints on how others are more fortunate financially than some.

I do understand some peoples frustrations with their own monetary position. But when you think about it, it comes down to being jealous. Like another person said in their reply, there are markets out there that are more in demand. Which in turn, those people who are successful in that market will make more money.

Why do some people complain about how others are better off (whether it's because of hard work or luck), when they could use that time and energy doing something about it. Use that time to study and/or work harder and find ways around the system which you can use to your advantage in the future. You never know, someday you may be one of those individuals that others talk about who make too much money and don't work as hard in life to maintain it. ;)

I do think pilots have lives in their hands like chris said, and that has merit...

I didn't realize you're a teacher Lew. Believe me, you definately have lives in your hands as well. Teachers have my utmost respect, especially now that you guys have less options to handle situations and more situations to handle it seems. My kids entire futures ride on their teachers, and they spend more time with you guys then us parents sometimes.

Pammi

I think you should see about getting a new mechanic. :D

FallRate

I did. I left that op and went to SDC. 11 months after I left they had a fatal plane crash that killed 5 friends. I feel somewhat responsible because I didn't stay and watch over them. But that's a whole nuther thread.

Tunaplanet...I'm done responding to you because you are obviously a troll. If you argued for teachers to have higher pay and left it at that I'd pick up that banner (and do in other conversations). You seem to think that you can only increase teachers pay by bringing down pilot pay. Whatever...but then again, from reading your other posts....you're just a troll.

I'm not infatuated with mortgages and screaming levels of STRESS, but I do it because it provides my family with a lifestyle that I couldn't if I was a teacher...and yes I LOVE teachers, I just couldn't afford to be one. Sure it's noble to do it for the love of the children, but my family deserves better than Top Ramen and a 2 bedroom apartment until they graduate high school (DON'T misunderstand, I really do love my kids teachers, and if you're a teacher out there, you know you're AWESOME, but my family just couldn't exist without the cash flow to provide for my 'special' babies...)

So you're teaching your kids that material things are more important than having a "noble" career, or a career that you enjoy?

Oh and as far as the most UNDERPAID job in AMERICA

1.) Housewife -

Women who choose to stay home for the sake of running a household. Specific duties include, but are not limited to raising children (which in my wife's case includes all educational responsibilities since we homeschool) The preparing of meals and the stocking of household items. Dealing with any utility problems that come up. Doing laundry for five people which means one or two loads a day.

Doctors appointments, dentist's appointments, eye-exams. Referee, house cleaning. Anything that I would normally take care but cannot because it becomes a need mid week and cannot wait until the weekend.

Softball sign-ups, football sign-ups. Rides to practice. Rides to friends houses. Meeting needs of husband, and still managing to find time to help out friends and family.

What about the mother (or father for that matter) that does all of that.... and has a full-time career?

And Pammi, thank you.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

F'n BS......fully automated? F'n BS. If it was automated I wouldn't have to type anything in and then make sure it did exactly what I told it to do. And then, click the autopilot off in the last 1,000 feet, "warm up" and make a smooth landing. That's not easy. Oh, and I hand flew to 29K today just because I can. Fully automated? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........

that's all I have to say about that.

Hand flew all the way to 29k in what? that must have been flying for a good 7-10min man so long. Don't forget that there are great pilots that get paid nothing and still do it for the love not the money.

Captstubin
Eloy here I come!!!!!