RiggerLee

Who Wants A Free Repack?

Who's going to PIA? I'm suposed to be giveing a symenar on advanced packing techneaques dealing with tight problem rigs but my shelf is bear. I called John Storie He'd initally told me that he had a wide selection on the shelf but now as I get ready to leave he says he's empty as well. It's ice storms all over Texas nobodies getting repacks.

Tired of watching the manufatorers reps blow smoke up your ass demoing rigs with undersized reserves? Bring me that tight mother fucker you curse at and I'll show you how to make it fit. I'm willing to share the secrets of the universe with you but if you want to make this happen I need a selection of rigs. Looking for a wings, Mirage G3, Javelin. Looking for legitamently tight real world rigs with reserves about one size large. Hopefully with a selection of reserves as well PD, Raven, Smart, etc. Part of the lecture relates to difrences in length and bulk distrabution based on stablizers, trim angle, cord, and span. Looks like the lecture will be on Thurs, and posible Fri. Get back to me with contact infomation.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

What Lee is talking about is the owner who buys the absolute max size reserve that MAY fit in a rig instead of the middle of the range. Actually the sequence is should be piciking the reserve then sizing the container.

With the 10% +/- volume difference between individual canopies, and some variation in containers, one that is supposed to fit may very well not. And many that do fit are at the extreme end of the range.

I've gotten one in, gave it to the owner, she jumped it a couple of times and then I reassed it and said no, send it back. Even if it goes it may not be appropriate to put in the air.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

The obsesion with small gear has been out of hand around here for a long time. The rigs around here are tight. And frankly we've just learned to deal with it. Collectively we've come up with a number of tricks to reduice the pack volume of the reserves. We've had to. Over time there have been several dealers that have reguarly sold rigs at max or even one size over the recamended maximum. Is this leagal? Most manufacurers have resisted setting hard and fast rules. I almost wish they did. At one time I tryed to get a strike going but it would have ment grounding half the rigs in north Texes and nobody was going to stand for that so we just learned to deal with it.

I don't want to get up on my soap box about people not jumping big enough canopies, and containers to hold them. Honestly they would be happier if they would lessen to me. But in lu of that I'll be happy to share the tricks we've come up with to deal with the challenges that walk in the door around here.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]

>Unfortunately many choose the container first then try to get the biggest reserve in it they can.

Often this is because they have a small main, and for most rigs today, a container sized correctly for a small main means you MUST have a small reserve. This encourages people to undersize their reserves.

There are few exceptions. I have a Mirage G4 sized (from the factory) for a PD143 reserve (or a 160 Optimum) and a 109 main. I keep hoping other manufacturers will follow along and start offering such split sizes.

Down here in Austin liveing on the lake. I've got Jon's Hobi 16 here and I've still got 37 in the bay. I went to Nepal earlier this year with Amy. Between sailing and kyacking I walk down and read in the private park by the lake. Ive got a range right down the road where I can take the new rifles to play with them. Just got a new one in 300 win mag I need to go try out. I've been building a couple of super sonic drouges for those guys, I need to send them a bill. And when I've got nothing else to do I watch my heard of dear play on the lawn below my balcony.

It's a rough life but some body has to do it. all though I will admit most of my time recently has been spent in front of the fire place with a blanket.

Comeing to Reno? Still got your old G3?

Lee
Lee
[email protected]