ovambo

Psychopack question

I have read lots of posts on Psychopack but have not seen this asked specifically...does the fact that the canopy comes out of the bag with the bridle exiting on the side of the pack job not cause the bag to spin/line twist even though the twist in lines is taken out before putting the bag in the container?

I have read lots of posts on Psychopack but have not seen this asked specifically...does the fact that the canopy comes out of the bag with the bridle exiting on the side of the pack job not cause the bag to spin/line twist even though the twist in lines is taken out before putting the bag in the container?

Pull the slider up, keep the brake lines in the back, and shove it in the bag. The rest of the silly crap people do doesn't matter.

Argue if you want, but it's worked well for me for 25 years with a dozen different canopies. I've never packed my own function, but I've chopped 8 that others have packed for me...and they do all the silly crap.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Works for me on my Spectre. I don't get line twists any more often than anyone else. I think psychopacking might me a lot more popular if it were called something less frightening, like "roll-packing".

If your packing technique results in no fewer or no more line twists than others using a different method, what's the advantage?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Works for me on my Spectre. I don't get line twists any more often than anyone else. I think psychopacking might me a lot more popular if it were called something less frightening, like "roll-packing".

If your packing technique results in no fewer or no more line twists than others using a different method, what's the advantage?

I absolutely agree. We should I start psychopacking by tomorrow so we would not have more linetwist than anyone else.:S

Sometimes I like to Psycho-pack because I like to lay the canopy down oriented nose to the sky and split-roll the nose like on a slider up base jump. I roll the four right and left cells tight and to the outside exposing only the center cell. I then quarter the slider well, but at that point once I get to the part where I would normally roll it up I flip it back over nose to earth and bag it like a normal pro pack. With this type of pack and a good body position I haven't had anything but soft on heading openings even with ellipticals but maybe I'm just overtly superstitious about my packing methods... I don't break out an iron though... I actually am a little more of a trash packer than anything, its just the dressing of the nose and the quartering of the slider psychopack style that I am particular about.... but most of the time i bag it like a pro-pack.

Sometimes I like to Psycho-pack because I like to lay the canopy down oriented nose to the sky and split-roll the nose like on a slider up base jump. I roll the four right and left cells tight and to the outside exposing only the center cell. I then quarter the slider well, but at that point once I get to the part where I would normally roll it up I flip it back over nose to earth and bag it like a normal pro pack. With this type of pack and a good body position I haven't had anything but soft on heading openings even with ellipticals but maybe I'm just overtly superstitious about my packing methods... I don't break out an iron though... I actually am a little more of a trash packer than anything, its just the dressing of the nose and the quartering of the slider psychopack style that I am particular about.... but most of the time i bag it like a pro-pack.

At what point do you stop for lunch?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

When I pack, I psychopack but I often get a packer so I've had quite a few psychopack and pro pack openings to compare.
I can definitely notice the difference in openings, one isn't better than the other just different. But as for off headings and line twists, I haven't noticed one method being more consistent than the other. I haven't had line twists in a long time, but get a few off heading openings with either pack method.

after trying to get my brand new canopy into the bag , i was so over it. By the time i did manage to stuff it in it was such a messy job that i wondered if it would mal. After trying psycho packing i must say i love it, sooo much easier for new canopies.

I've done some pretty sketchy packjobs, and every single one of them opened (only one was a hard opening)

Thats what I get for buying a new(ish) rig with a canopy that had under 20 jumps on it.:S

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I was surprised when I saw all that fancy nose treatment on a YouTube psychopack vid. "Packing Made Simple" doesn't show any difference in how the nose is handled for pro versus psycho.
I believe you have my stapler.

I absolutely agree. We should I start psychopacking by tomorrow so we would not have more linetwist than anyone else.:S

I find that FOR ME I have a slightly smaller pack volume, it's faster and I have more consistently on heading openings. Thats not to say that it inherently has all these advantages over a pro-pack but just that I find it easier to achieve desired results
"Do you really want to take advice from the guy we call Tarmac?"