Druery.M

Importing gear

Hi there! long time reader, first time poster.

I currently live in Australia and have just purchased part of my first rig, (container) from the US. Lucky me received a letter from customs wanting me to fill out a nice declaration so they can tax me :P. Just wondering if any other aussies had this issue, and also what you put on the declaration, sporting equip - other? Kind of hard to classify it as its not so common obviously.

Cheers, Matt

Yeah that will happen. The Australian Government has a lovely Tax (GST) that they will put on any item that you bring into Australia over the value of $1000. So there is a 10% fee of the total cost of the item plus a $30 or $40 processing fee. The beauty is they will not release the item until this is paid.

Every single time I've ordered something from the states I've had to go up to the customs and declare everything I've ordered. Then they slap an import tax depending on what I've bought + the VAT on top of that.

Why did you expect to be able to buy stuff from foreign countries without being taxed up to your arse by your government?
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

i normally import items that are under the $1000 limit and they come straight to me. I did buy a few vigils that cost me $1200 but i just had the seller write the value down as $600 and they got straight through.

When I've shipped internationally, the documents for customs purposes go into the same envelope as the US post office's forms with the insured value.

Having lost a package shipped overseas via USPS global express I'm not going to send any insured for less than full value or risk having to deal with whatever results from having two different values listed.

i normally import items that are under the $1000 limit and they come straight to me. I did buy a few vigils that cost me $1200 but i just had the seller write the value down as $600 and they got straight through.

Why do some people feel that lying on a customs form different from any other criminal act?;)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals