blackknights

BPA Advanced Packers

To all Advanced Packers (and skydivers who have older kit):
An item is being raised at this Thursdays Riggers / STC by an individual who is on a crusade to “Life Kit”. His latest attempt is to stop all Advanced Packers touching kit that is 10 or more years old. As an Advanced Packer my view is that I was trained by a Rigger to a BPA syllabus which included the ability to inspect the equipment for deterioration and that as a group we are more than capable of inspecting kit whether it is one year or more than ten years old.
Think of the implications for your club / centre if you don’t have an onsite rigger! They will reduce the amount of kit available for use / hire.
Think about the implication for yourself if your harness and container or reserve canopy is 10 years old. Where is your nearest rigger based and will they be able to pack your kit while you wait. This could mean two journeys. As their workload increases, so will the price of a repack!
You all know the history of this. The Advanced Packer qualification was introduced with an aim to get people to become Riggers. This has worked to a certain extent but there are about 150 Advanced packers out there and the riggers, especially those employed by rigging lofts want the work back.
In my view this has nothing to do with safety, it is purely monitory so we need to stand up and be heard. Make sure you talk to your CCI before Thursday 10th Feb 2011 otherwise those that have the vote will pass a rule for their own benefit.

What are the requirements for becoming a rigger?

What are the requirements for becoming an advanced packer?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

a couple of quick points.

This is not new news. Initially raised about 18 months ago. There has been a lot of open discussion at the AGM and many minuted BPA meetings where this was discussed (that any BPA member can attend).

Your statement about not allowing APs to touch kit is completely wrong. The model presented at the AGM discussed "countersigned" documents. The rigger is not required to do the work.

There is no issue finding a rigger. There are just over 100 Advanced packers and there about 60 riggers.

DZs without only APs on-site need to ship their well used "old" kit to a rigger for ongoing maintenance anyway. So shouldn't change the operating model much.

if not having an on-site rigger is an issue then get some of your APs upgraded to rigger status :).

Rome is not burning...

Twenty years would be a more realistic deadline.

Collapsible main pilot chutes were introduced in the early 1990s.

Consider that Zero porosity fabric was introduced in the late 1980s.

Spectra suspension line was introduced in the early 1990s.

Reinforced mini-risers (Type 17 webbing) were introduced in 1992.

Cypres 1 (the first modern electronic Automatic Activiation Device) was introduced in 1991.

Performance Designs introduced the first reserves designed to be loaded more than one pound per square foot, were introduced around 1990.

Chute assis was introduced in the early 1990s.

Bottom of Container Depolyment was introduced in 1991.

Hip rings were introduced in 1991 (Rigging Innovations Flexon harness/container).