KrisFlyZ

Driving or Skydiving which is safer?

Edited : The option 1 should say Driving

A post from the incidents forum.

My whuffo friends tell me to be careful skydiving.
I tell them I should be careful driving to the DZ I'm more likely to get killed doing that.

Not really 40000 might be a big number compared to 23 but the number of drivers in the US is much much bigger number compared to the number of skydivers in the US.

Say a skydiver makes 2 jumps a day on average(I think it might be less), a driver on average makes atleast 2 trips. I am sure the number of trips made in a year in the US is well into the billions.

On a percentage of jumps to fatalities vs auto deaths to auto trips, driving is safer.

I would rather be under canopy than in a car, but I am biased:D...really though...they are so different in frequency and amounts of people I dont think it is a good comparison. I mean yeah more people get hurt in car accidents, but as you said drivers are much more common than divers....

Driving is less dangerous but it says diving on the poll so I voted for that ;)

There are approximately 218 Million registered vehicles in the United States and in 2002 something like 43,000 driving related deaths and over 6 million accidents.. Perhaps USPA could collect more data from the DZ's to better analyze the numbers....?

Who said Kiwis can't fly?

This is a recurring argument here. Both are dangerous, and you can minimize risks doing both. By safer, do you mean less chance of dying by freak accident? Self inflicted? If someone is driving a ferrari or something through a city going 100, and hit something, and die, does that make driving unsafe, or does it make them stupid. Same kind of idea with skydiving.

Driving is less dangerous but it says diving on the poll so I voted for that ;)

You know I realized that but there is no way of fixing that after you start a poll.

Also I think there are many minor incidents in skydivng as well like all the non fatal accidents on teh road.

I drive 150-220 miles round trip. To my dropzone.
@ about 85-90mph
On the freeway in the S.F. Bayarea.
I drive a motorcycle sometimes.
I believe I am more likely to die driving.
I hope no one finds out which is more likely for sure.
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"