skydiverkeith

Mirage + Skyhook

Has anyone here seen a G4 with a skyhook. Yes, I know it's not offered, but it is doable, and I'm sure someone has...

Yes, it's doable, illegal, but doable.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Mirage is coming out with their own version of a Skyhook soon, I think. They're calling it like DRX or something, Direct Reserve Extraction, maybe, IIRC....They used to have a news update on their website but it disappeared a while ago.

ETA: It's called Direct Reserve Extraction

ETA2: I need to do homework before I post so hastily
http://www.miragesys.com/photo-gallery/drx-direct-reserve-extraction-test-jump-pictures/

Mirage is coming out with their own version of a Skyhook soon, I think. They're calling it like DRX or something, Direct Reserve Extraction, maybe, IIRC....They used to have a news update on their website but it disappeared a while ago.

http://www.miragesys.com/photo-gallery/drx-direct-reserve-extraction-test-jump-pictures/

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4045882#4045882

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4045882#4045882

Point goes to David

To properly do the skyhook per UPT's design would involve adding an additional flap, modifying the reserve bridle, getting a piece of the machined metal for the skyhook and installing a Collins lanyard. All of that would then need to have been approved at each step of the way by the local FSDO and then drop tested to prove it works. Basically a whole new TSO would need to be applied for with the cost of thousands of dollars for all the work and paperwork.

In short unless it comes from the factory you will not find it happening in the field.

If you really want a Skyhook there are containers that have done the work and the testing you could by instead of your Mirage.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

H Phree,

All of that would then need to have been approved at each step of the way by the local FSDO and then drop tested to prove it works. Basically a whole new TSO would need to be applied for with the cost of thousands of dollars for all the work and paperwork.

I disagree. Bill Booth himself readily says that he did not submit the SkyHook to the FAA. He has told me that he does not believe that he has altered the parachute system that is certificated.

JerryBaumchen

My friend joke about his superier skyhook system all the time.
" I can work with my linetwist untill 500 ft."
And
" If someone hits my canopy while I'm at crosswind leg, I'll chop that shit right away."
:D:D:D

After viewing Mr Booths video of low skyhook deployments, asked me if I would pack his reserve with the slider down so he could "chop at 3 hundie" if need be.:o

If someone hits my canopy while I'm at crosswind leg, I'll chop that shit right away."
:D:D:D

A few years ago, a jumper in final was hit from above by somebody making a hookturn.
"So you honestly can say that it happened quite low :S"
Her canopy was torn in 2 pieces. She cutaway and pulled reserve as fast as possible. Her slider was down a second before she landed. She never had time to release her brakes.
So even if you do not make stupid mistakes, it is always possible that somebody makes them for you and try to kill you.

More skydivers have been killed or injured in an accident/situation they thought would never happen to them (low pull, no pull, low hook turn, no leg straps, no leg straps, ...)

One very important lesson: everybody will screw it up sooner or later.

A few years ago, a jumper in final was hit from above by somebody making a hookturn.
"So you honestly can say that it happened quite low :S"
Her canopy was torn in 2 pieces. She cutaway and pulled reserve as fast as possible. Her slider was down a second before she landed. She never had time to release her brakes.

Was this with or without a skyhook? If it was with, I think (without knowing all the facts of the collision) that she put too much faith in the system, given the fact that it DOESN'T work all the time. Obviously she made a right choice, but every situation is different, and I hate for people to think that cutting away at 2-300 feet is a good "safe" option. :S

Hi sdk,
Wanna' skyhook?? 'Don't forget yer RSL, AAD and Jesus Cord too!!

spoken like a true skygod B|

Hi Mike,
Thx but.... Ya' ferget ta' spell "Skygod" with a "Capital 'S!!'" However as an old Rigger workin' both in the Sport and Aerospace end of the business, I've seen more lanyards, loops and rat-trap mechanisms not to mention cutters, Creedisframs and oscillating Rotostats than you can imagine used on Parachutes of every kind!! Willy Booth did good with the "Skyhook," and who can forget the "3-Ring Circus!!" Only trouble with gadgets is maken' em' "Foolproof" cuz' Fools are so ingenious!!.......K.I.S.S.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

But skyhook has one advantage at time of cutaway.
Everything stays together and you only have to chase one thing.

Only about 80-90 % they stay together. And if you lose your main, your freebag goes as well.

Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

still that is alot easier then,
following the main down and hoping that someone saw your freebag.

if it stays together 80-90 percent of the time, means after 100 cutaways, you've only lost about 20 freebags
vs
without skyhook, you probably lost about 80 to 90 freebags.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016