misskriss

Croc hunter and his baby's debut.. (title changed as not to seem judgemental) ; )

look i never said i find the croc scary and therefore im wrong cos in fact the croc isnt really scary.
its not the crocs fault that hes covered in scales, eats huge lumps of raw meat, weighs a ton and has rows of big sharp teeth......

come on now everyone, a big sympathetic aahh for this poor misunderstood creature......:P

now i completely understand you - NOT!!!
but fair enough, i can agree to disagree with you on this lol!!!!

big hug
x

Look
Just because you com from the UK and the scariest thing there is a Badger (oh and Margret Thatcher, I would not hang my baby near one of them).
We here dont veiw these animals from the same perspective as you lot.
Did you ever see that documentary in the 80's Called Crocodile Dundee, it's what we here use as a reference source, in how to handle large Water buffalo, and berligerent tourists:P:P;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

What bothers me about this is that he is using his son for extra publicity. There was absolutely no educational value for his one month old baby to witness this. The only thing gained was daddy getting some attention.

Bad form old chap.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Bad form old chap.

Yah, like we're all perfect. Sorry to say, when I first saw it I did crack a grin. But yah, I totally see how others are bothered by it. I certainly would not have put my child near an open alligator pit. But, from the camera angle it did look like there was a little distance between him and the gator. It's not like he put the kid in the gator's open mouth.

Oh hell, I'm gonna get flamed for that one I'm sure....

>You can never predict an animal's reaction.

And you can never be sure a parachute will open. But it's a risk that we accept. It's possible that someone who has worked with an animal all its life has a pretty good idea what it will do.

I've seen parents let their kids ride standing up on the front seat. Of course, their are laws against it now because it is a bad idea. Kids don't understand the danger and the child-restraint law protects them.

An unrestrained child riding in a car is ok as long as an emergency does not occur. Emergencies don't happen often, but they do occur.

Having a child in your arms in front of a croc is ok, as long as an emergency doesn't occur. Like say... you slip on a muddy spot. I have seen the CH slip and fall in several episodes. Ever heard "Crikey, that was close"? Experience or not, he does have close calls and foul-ups.

How many would it take? I knew a guy with 4500 jumps, 3000 good hook turns.

Margret Thatcher

No need for profanity;)

But seriously, the guy knows what he is doing. I'm sure we've all seen or heard of instructors or DZOs letting their kids do tandems. Who better to assess the risks of such an activity?? That probably looks like madness to most whuffos and even some skydivers but they know what they are doing too. I think if any action is taken against Steve it will be an example of officials knowing little, acting on the shock value of unfamiliarity.

I love all those crazy aussies:P

I think people interfere with parents too much. When you have responsibility for raising them you can make the decisions. I would not do this with my kid but if the law let me I would absolutley do tandems with them right now (if of course I was rated for it). My kids, my decision.

Your kids, your decision. I think it is time that we gave parents some of there God given rights as parents back.

This is not the same as child abuse/molestation/neglect. It is not like he sent his one month old son in there by himself. Then I could see a reason to be alarmed.

***And you can never be sure a parachute will open. But it's a risk that we accept. It's possible that someone who has worked with an animal all its life has a pretty good idea what it will do.

Right, it's a risk that we adults personally accept, but it doesn't mean we should put others at that risk, specially not little babies. [:/]

MEN: you can't live with 'em, you can't shoot 'em, but you can act psychotic and keep 'em off balance.
HISPA #10

Try not to judge others by your own limitations

Well Put Squeak.

The child will be growing up around animals that would scare the shit out of most people on this planet. The Man knows the animals in his care... its a NON ISSUE people. Move on to the next story.>:(

>Right, it's a risk that we adults personally accept, but it doesn't
>mean we should put others at that risk, specially not little babies.

I don't see this as much different as jumping when you're pregnant, or taking your 2 year old child on a family outing in a Cessna 172. It's a decision that's up to the parents.

2nd time I've agreed with billvon this week..... Let the parents decide. Steve knows more about crocs than anyone on this site. He loves his kids. I've done things with my son, (underage skydiving, high speed bike rides, scuba) all at a very young age for him. I prepared him for it and we were very conservative in what we did. His excitement was worth every stare and condemnation from the safety nazis. He is now 18 and a snowboard instructor for the winter. (not sure I want him skydiving..he is a little wild) Sorry you were called an irresponsible parent MissKris...only those who truly deserve it should be called such a thing.

This definitely beats out Michael Jackson hanging his baby over the balcony.

How can you even make this comaprison?

Michael is a moron who was doing something totally retarded. Not to mention that the wind could blow that toothpick bitch over!

Mr. Irwin is a professional. Not only that he has plenty of staff to help if something goes wrong. The camera does not show that. Not to mention they are only showing the camera angle that makes it look worse than it really was.

Think about it. If you are on the ground sometimes canopies look much closer than they really are. That is because of the angle.

The comarison being made to this with the Jackson incident is a total discredit to Mr. Irwin.

I saw the interview and he made a very valid point about how individuals are not in control of other drivers while on the roadway. Whereas he has control of the situation through his training and staff of trainers.

I did not have a problem with what I saw on the video. Like Mr. Irwin said, " I am just teaching my children about the dangers in our backyard. " He has an amazing ability with animals. People are just scared of what they do not understand.

Laters,

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!B|
The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

" I am just teaching my children about the dangers in our backyard. " He has an amazing ability with animals. People are just scared of what they do not understand.

I understand he has to teach his children about it but again.....a 4 week old baby has no understanding of anything that is going on. That child got no "lesson" out of that experience. I saw Steve give an interview on the Today show and he would not stop for a second to even let questions be asked. He then had Bindy sit on his lap and give an obviously rehearsed answer to a rehearsed question. The Michael Jackson statement may have not been the correct comparison, I understand.. I still stand by how I feel about the Irwin situtation... Roy Horn had been around those Tigers all of his adult life and still ended up being hurt. But anyway....just my opinion...

I agree with you. Steve Irwin in no way compares to Michael the Freak Jackson Who Is More To Be Pitied Than Censored, bless his heart. Anyway, Steve's follow-up comments to the "croc feeding incident" were honest, credible, and logical. He probably shouldn't have let the baby's intro to croc-life be on international tv...Crikey, Mates, that baby was safer in his arms that most are in strollers!! G'day!
Attitude is everything!

I saw Steve give an interview on the Today show and he would not stop for a second to even let questions be asked.

Obviously you have never communicated via satellite or even to people overseas. There is a delay in reception. Steve is very face paced and probably could not hear the question.

Roy Horn had been around those Tigers all of his adult life and still ended up being hurt.

These Tigers are pure bred I can almost guarantee you. If you study genetics you would understand that a pure bred animal is very unpredicatable. This is the reason that many bigger dogs get a bad reputation. Pure Breeding leads to abnormalities. Although I never saw the actual video to the Horn incident he most likely did not have enough trainers in there to assist with an animal of that size.

his adult life

Mr. Irwin has been plaing with crocodiles since he was a baby.

Have you seen both angles of the video? If you saw the interview I would say yes.

a 4 week old baby has no understanding of anything that is going on. That child got no "lesson" out of that experience.

If this is true then how does a baby know who its Mother is? Here again you need to do a little more research. You would be suprised at what you would find. An infant knows much more that what you might believe.

It is O.K. to make an opinion by all means. I am just saying that when it is done be sure the one made is an informed one. :)
Laters,

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!B|
The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES